Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

This is my adaptation of what I saw Christina Pirello make the other night.
It's super quick and good. But make sure that you have all of the
ingredients before you start! Heh! I blasted right in there and then
thought... Wait! Do I have cocoa powder? I did not. Not sure it would
work without it because it seems to need that to help thicken it. She used
a food processor to make hers so she used a cold vegan butter. I have no
food processor so I softened my sunseed butter and Nucoa for 20 seconds in
the microwave.

1 cup nut/seed butter (the natural kind) I used sunseed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
scant pinch cinnamon
scant pinch chili powder
scant pinch black pepper
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use the good stuff)
1/ cup coarsely broken walnuts

Basically all I did was soften the seed butter and vegan margarine slightly
then mix everything but the nuts in my large pasta bowl. I used a good
stiff spoon. Then I mixed in the nuts. Then I pressed this into a foil
lined rectangular container. You want it to be about 1" thick. Chill for 3
hours then cut into squares.

This will not have that slightly grainy texture that a cooked fudge will but
it's nice and chew and not overly sweet. And best of all, it's super quick!
Well... The chilling time does take a while but I already got into it with
a spoon. Which I probably shouldn't have because chocolate tends to mess
with my GERD but so far, so good. I would imagine that in its softened
state it would be yummy to use with ice cream.

And yes, I know that brown rice syrup is purported to be high in arsenic but
this is only the second time in my life that I have used the product and I
don't intend to use it often. I imagine that honey (although not vegan)
would give you the same texture but it would for sure change the taste.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

2 cups expanded polystyrene, crumbled.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2013 2:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

The addition of pepper and chili powder is intriguing. OTOH, I like to
change a recipe when it has an ingredient that I don't have on hand or
contains deadly poison. Just something I've learned over the years...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

I tried to follow this as closely as I could the first time because I wasn't
sure how it would come out. And I didn't use honey because I really dislike
the stuff. Not sure that corn syrup would work because I think it is too
runny, plus I had none. So far so good on the GERD front. But daughter
didn't like it with the walnuts. Will try to make it again without those
but not sure it will hold up as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2013 6:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I tried to follow this as closely as I could the first time because I wasn't
sure how it would come out. And I didn't use honey because I really dislike
the stuff. Not sure that corn syrup would work because I think it is too
runny, plus I had none. So far so good on the GERD front. But daughter
didn't like it with the walnuts. Will try to make it again without those
but not sure it will hold up as well.

You might want to try Korean cactus honey which is available in Korean
markets. I don't know anything about it except that it's popular cause
they have a bunch of that stuff on the shelves. It comes in liquid and
powder form.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
On 2/28/2013 6:17 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I tried to follow this as closely as I could the first time because I
wasn't
sure how it would come out. And I didn't use honey because I really
dislike
the stuff. Not sure that corn syrup would work because I think it is too
runny, plus I had none. So far so good on the GERD front. But daughter
didn't like it with the walnuts. Will try to make it again without those
but not sure it will hold up as well.

You might want to try Korean cactus honey which is available in Korean
markets. I don't know anything about it except that it's popular cause
they have a bunch of that stuff on the shelves. It comes in liquid and
powder form.

Well I don't think I'll be making this again unless daughter likes it
without the nuts. I tried it after it set up and I didn't care for it so
much. I don't know why really. But I also am not big into sweets. I just
thought I'd make it because I have a ton of sunseed butter. This was one of
those things that daughter was eating like mad until I bought a case of it.
And now consumption has dropped.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:59:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

1 cup nut/seed butter (the natural kind) I used sunseed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
scant pinch cinnamon
scant pinch chili powder
scant pinch black pepper
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use the good stuff)
1/ cup coarsely broken walnuts

That's not even close to being a fudge. Those crazy vegetarians will
try and *******ize anything and everything to get their way.

-sw

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:59:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

1 cup nut/seed butter (the natural kind) I used sunseed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
scant pinch cinnamon
scant pinch chili powder
scant pinch black pepper
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use the good stuff)
1/ cup coarsely broken walnuts

That's not even close to being a fudge. Those crazy vegetarians will
try and *******ize anything and everything to get their way.

The taste is that of fudge. And when I took a bite after I had mixed it, it
was fine. But it did not set up like fudge and it reminded me somewhat of
that cheese fudge that we bought at Costco that one time. It was yucky.
This wasn't yucky but I don't think I really ever want it again. The
texture is off.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
It really sounds horrible to me, to be honest. Maybe it is good, but
not to my mind. If I am going to do fudge, I will make real fudge.
Christine

No. Not horrible at all. We can't have real fudge for various reasons.
But I won't be making this again for myself anyway.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2013 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Well I don't think I'll be making this again unless daughter likes it
without the nuts. I tried it after it set up and I didn't care for it so
much. I don't know why really. But I also am not big into sweets. I just
thought I'd make it because I have a ton of sunseed butter. This was one of
those things that daughter was eating like mad until I bought a case of it.
And now consumption has dropped.

Ha ha, kids... waddaya gonna do? My son makes great fudge. The weird
part is that I've never seen him cook anything else.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll chime in here. This recipe is typical of vegan crap. They can
call it whatever they want to but it is not fudge. And who'd a thought
cocoa powder was optional but more than a "thickener?" I mean of course you
can make fudge without cocoa powder if you're willing to give up the
thickener, right?

P U. But yes, in this mallard of merde, please do use your best vanilla.
And if "vegans" are so against sugar, why the hell would they eat cocoa?
From their cherished "moral and ethical" pedestal chocolate is worse by
factors.

Pass

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

I could be wrong here. I know that you can make nut butter fudge that is
cooked or even the somewhat quick kind with powdered sugar in it. I have
made both kinds. But for this one, the main ingredients are the nut/seed
butter and the sweetener. And the sweetener is a thick liquid. Because the
cocoa powder is a powder, I presume it is what is used to help hold it all
together. If it were not in there, you'd have a gooey mess.

P U. But yes, in this mallard of merde, please do use your best vanilla.
And if "vegans" are so against sugar, why the hell would they eat cocoa?
From their cherished "moral and ethical" pedestal chocolate is worse by
factors.

Pass

Not all people are vegans for moral or ethical reasons. I once tried a
recipe for a raw candy that was like Tootsie Rolls. And seriously the end
result was exactly like a very cold Tootsie Roll. They need to be kept
refrigerated or they'll go too soft.

I also tried a brownie recipe that was raw vegan. It was nuts, dates, cocoa
powder and there may have been a little coconut oil in there. Can't
remember. Process in the food processor, press in pan, chill, cut, eat.
Everyone who tried these loved them and they tasted just like a good, baked
brownie.

Also have made many batches of raw vegan onion bread. It's perfect for
little finger sandwiches and it has the taste and texture of a good quality
whole grain bread, perhaps because of the high content of ground flax in the
mix.

I went on a vegan diet (and I say diet because I do use leather products and
such) pretty much by default. I don't digest most meats well and I can no
longer have dairy or eggs. And although I enjoyed the diet, the raw part
was a PITA due to all the sprouting of nuts and seeds and making so much
that has to be dehydrated at a low temp. I know some people do that diet by
eating mainly whole foods and smoothies. But I 'like smoothies either. In
the end, it wasn't something I could maintain because I also don't digest a
lot of raw veggies well. So... *shrug*

So now I do try to eat as many raw foods as I can. But I also eat cooked
foods and would consider myself semi-vegetarian. Meaning that most of the
time I do eat a vegetarian diet but I do eat some meat. I can not use the
term vegan or even semi-vegan because true vegans object to that.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Sqwertz wrote:
[...]

Cocoa is the main flavor. Without it you do not have anything at all but a
mess. Fudge is sweet but the sugar is cooked to a point where it becomes
the main texture of the fudge. Cooked too little it is runny, cooked too
long it is rock hard. So the sugar is not a flavor, it is a fundamental
element. You cannot make fudge without sugar. And you cannot make real
fudge without a "contaminant" like corn syrup which is vital for the proper
consistency as it prevents the sugar from re-crystallizing thus yielding a
smooth texture. It is complex chemistry stuff, not just a flavor.

P U. But yes, in this mallard of merde, please do use your best vanilla.
And if "vegans" are so against sugar, why the hell would they eat cocoa?
From their cherished "moral and ethical" pedestal chocolate is worse by
factors.

Pass

Not all people are vegans for moral or ethical reasons. I once tried a
recipe for a raw candy that was like Tootsie Rolls. And seriously the
end result was exactly like a very cold Tootsie Roll. They need to be
kept refrigerated or they'll go too soft.

Tootsie Rolls are primarily wax.

I also tried a brownie recipe that was raw vegan. It was nuts, dates,
cocoa powder and there may have been a little coconut oil in there. Can't
remember. Process in the food processor, press in pan, chill, cut, eat.
Everyone who tried these loved them and they tasted just like a good,
baked brownie.

It may taste OK but it is not a brownie. Sounds more like simple granola.
Which is good but it is not cake.

Also have made many batches of raw vegan onion bread. It's perfect for
little finger sandwiches and it has the taste and texture of a good
quality whole grain bread, perhaps because of the high content of ground
flax in the mix.

What bread is not vegan aside from maybe brioche and challah? Flour, water,
salt and yeast are what comprise most breads. All that is vegan. Although
there are many vegans who claim eating yeast is immoral. But notice how
vegans eschew sugar because it is "immoral" but ignore how "immoral" wheat
can be because hell - you have to eat SOMETHING. Vegan purist are some
seriously messed up people.

I went on a vegan diet (and I say diet because I do use leather products
and such) pretty much by default. I don't digest most meats well and I
can no longer have dairy or eggs. And although I enjoyed the diet, the
raw part was a PITA due to all the sprouting of nuts and seeds and making
so much that has to be dehydrated at a low temp. I know some people do
that diet by eating mainly whole foods and smoothies. But I 'like
smoothies either. In the end, it wasn't something I could maintain
because I also don't digest a lot of raw veggies well. So... *shrug*

So now I do try to eat as many raw foods as I can. But I also eat cooked
foods and would consider myself semi-vegetarian. Meaning that most of the
time I do eat a vegetarian diet but I do eat some meat. I can not use the
term vegan or even semi-vegan because true vegans object to that.

True vegans are even crazier than you are. Trust me, you do not want any
piece of their action. They are seriously ****ed up people and it has
nothing to do with what they eat.

Vegan Fudge Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 13-03-2013 10:13 AM
Quick Vegan Fudge Judy Haffner General Cooking 12 02-03-2013 08:09 PM
Quick Vegan Fudge Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 02-03-2013 05:24 PM
Quick Marshmallow Fudge Bars jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 08-11-2006 05:08 AM
No 'Cook' quick & easy Christmas Fudge Lestat Recipes 0 19-12-2004 08:40 AM