Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

This is my adaptation of what I saw Christina Pirello make the other night.
It's super quick and good. But make sure that you have all of the
ingredients before you start! Heh! I blasted right in there and then
thought... Wait! Do I have cocoa powder? I did not. Not sure it would
work without it because it seems to need that to help thicken it. She used
a food processor to make hers so she used a cold vegan butter. I have no
food processor so I softened my sunseed butter and Nucoa for 20 seconds in
the microwave.

1 cup nut/seed butter (the natural kind) I used sunseed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
scant pinch cinnamon
scant pinch chili powder
scant pinch black pepper
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use the good stuff)
1/ cup coarsely broken walnuts

Basically all I did was soften the seed butter and vegan margarine slightly
then mix everything but the nuts in my large pasta bowl. I used a good
stiff spoon. Then I mixed in the nuts. Then I pressed this into a foil
lined rectangular container. You want it to be about 1" thick. Chill for 3
hours then cut into squares.

This will not have that slightly grainy texture that a cooked fudge will but
it's nice and chew and not overly sweet. And best of all, it's super quick!
Well... The chilling time does take a while but I already got into it with
a spoon. Which I probably shouldn't have because chocolate tends to mess
with my GERD but so far, so good. I would imagine that in its softened
state it would be yummy to use with ice cream.

And yes, I know that brown rice syrup is purported to be high in arsenic but
this is only the second time in my life that I have used the product and I
don't intend to use it often. I imagine that honey (although not vegan)
would give you the same texture but it would for sure change the taste.