Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2013 7:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I went to one but the person who brought me to it really screwed up! It
>> was
>> Sephardic and it was a pot luck. He brought a chicken and broccoli
>> casserole that used a cream of something soup in it. He kept wondering
>> why
>> nobody was eating it.
>>

> Sounds like a tense time was had by all.

Not really my friend and I were both clueless about it. I really knew
nothing about Jewish food back then. I did have a Jewish roommate at one
point but he never explained anything to me. I knew that he needed his own
shelf in the fridge but he was also a medical student and mostly what I
found in there was specimens and stuff growing in Petri dishes. Never too
much in the way of food. He was the one who cooked a turkey once and left
it in the pantry all week. And yes, he baked it with the plastic bag of
parts still in it. I came home to a smoky house. He still ate it and ate
it for a week, sitting there in the foil pan, uncovered.

He also used Styrofoam cups and plates. And he ruined my toaster oven by
placing them right next to it. I did not notice this when I plugged it in
and in those days we didn't have stuff that was cool to the touch. When I
smelled the burning plastic, I discovered the problem. They had literally
been touching the side of the oven. Big mess. Never was able to fully
clean it from the outside of the oven so had to throw it out. He blamed me
for that and was furious because it happened in the middle of the night. He
then complained to me that because of this, he wouldn't be able to eat or
drink. He did not explain now. But I now know that he needed to have his
own dishes and cups and mine wouldn't work for him. He did not tell me this
and had he done this, I might have gone to the grocery store which was open
24 hours a day and bought him more. But he did not. So I didn't.

He could have put those things in the pantry. He could have asked for his
own cupboard. Or shelf or whatever. But he did not and in my mind, he did
something stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/2/2013 2:04 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>>
>> I don't consider the kind of candy made with powdered sugar, as
>> authentic fudge. The fudge I'm talking about is where you use granulated
>> sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and unsweetened chocolate squares, and use
>> a candy thermometer to make sure it's at the right temperature. That is
>> the BEST fudge, AFAIC. I don't care for the candy made with marshmallow
>> creme and chocolate chips, as to me, it's sickening sweet. I do have a
>> good microwave no-fail fudge recipe that calls for chocolate chips and
>> mini marshmallows, but isn't loaded with sugar, and it is the texture of
>> velvet.
>>
>> Even 1 tiny grain of undissolved sugar can turn a batch of candy
>> "grainy" in texture, which is not what a candy maker wishes for. I stir
>> the ingredients until it comes to a good boil and then I use a warm damp
>> paper towel to wipe the sides of the sauce pan down thoroughly before
>> inserting the candy thermometer to finish cooking. I also have lightly
>> buttered the sides of pot I'm cooking the candy in, as that prevents
>> sugar clinging to the sides. I don't have to go through those procedures
>> when making it in the microwave.
>>
>> Judy
>>

> You sound like you know what you're doing. I used to make fudge too. I
> always had a hard time getting the pour into the pan just right. The pros
> will dump the hot fudge onto a slab of marble and work it with a squeegee
> thingie. They can tell just when it starts to set and will immediately
> shape it into a rectangle. It looks like a fun process but I can't be
> making that kind of stuff anymore.

My mom always used the method of putting the pan in a bowl of ice water.
Then beating the hell out of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/03/2013 4:06 PM, John J wrote:

>> Well, they were shipped out at maturity to be sent to supermarkets, so
>> that's how they lived.

> I guess you've never seen footage from chicken factories.

No. But I have this artist's rendering of what a boneless chicken farm
looks like:

http://s674.beta.photobucket.com/use...Ranch.jpg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 02/03/2013 4:06 PM, John J wrote:
>

>>> Well, they were shipped out at maturity to be sent to supermarkets, so
>>> that's how they lived.

>> I guess you've never seen footage from chicken factories.
>>

> No. But I have this artist's rendering of what a boneless chicken farm
> looks like:
>
> http://s674.beta.photobucket.com/use...Ranch.jpg.html

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2013 9:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> My mom always used the method of putting the pan in a bowl of ice water.
> Then beating the hell out of it.

Now that's a technique that I've never heard of. Beating the hell out of
your fudge mix would be great except that whenever I made fudge, it felt
like the fudge was beating the hell out of me. Cooling the fudge while
mixing constantly was quite tiring even for a younger me. These days, it
might kill me.

I never used an ice water bath but that would speed things up. It's not
usually done because it might cool the mix down too fast and cause the
premature formation of sugar crystals. OTOH, that wouldn't be a problem
for you. You were lucky to have a mom that made fudge. Any kid would be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/2/2013 9:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> My mom always used the method of putting the pan in a bowl of ice water.
>> Then beating the hell out of it.

> Now that's a technique that I've never heard of. Beating the hell out of
> your fudge mix would be great except that whenever I made fudge, it felt
> like the fudge was beating the hell out of me. Cooling the fudge while
> mixing constantly was quite tiring even for a younger me. These days, it
> might kill me.
>
> I never used an ice water bath but that would speed things up. It's not
> usually done because it might cool the mix down too fast and cause the
> premature formation of sugar crystals. OTOH, that wouldn't be a problem
> for you. You were lucky to have a mom that made fudge. Any kid would be.

Sure was! Nobody ever made fudge for me)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2013 6:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 1:41 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>>
>> We also had lemon cake balls. To be honest, I made them because I
>> wanted to try them. They tasted good, nice and lemony, but they were a
>> little too sweet.
>>
>> Becca

> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
> A tragedy!

My parents were not big sweet eaters; to them, fresh fruit and melons
were sweet enough. I have to agree with them, for the most part. We did
have desserts on holidays and sweets on Valentine's Day and Easter.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2013 11:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 3/2/2013 9:51 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> My mom always used the method of putting the pan in a bowl of ice water.
>>> Then beating the hell out of it.

>> Now that's a technique that I've never heard of. Beating the hell out
>> of your fudge mix would be great except that whenever I made fudge, it
>> felt like the fudge was beating the hell out of me. Cooling the fudge
>> while mixing constantly was quite tiring even for a younger me. These
>> days, it might kill me.
>>
>> I never used an ice water bath but that would speed things up. It's
>> not usually done because it might cool the mix down too fast and cause
>> the premature formation of sugar crystals. OTOH, that wouldn't be a
>> problem for you. You were lucky to have a mom that made fudge. Any kid
>> would be.

> Sure was! Nobody ever made fudge for me)

Me neither - dammit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2013 11:27 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 6:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/1/2013 1:41 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>>>
>>> We also had lemon cake balls. To be honest, I made them because I
>>> wanted to try them. They tasted good, nice and lemony, but they were a
>>> little too sweet.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>> A tragedy!

> My parents were not big sweet eaters; to them, fresh fruit and melons
> were sweet enough. I have to agree with them, for the most part. We did
> have desserts on holidays and sweets on Valentine's Day and Easter.
>
> Becca

It's a problem with Chinese restaurants. OTOH, we have one in our little
town that's owned by an ex-pastry chef of a Waikiki hotel. Getting an
amazing dessert is not a problem. :-)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...hu_Hawaii.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/3/2013 11:14 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Now that's a technique that I've never heard of. Beating the hell out
>>> of your fudge mix would be great except that whenever I made fudge, it
>>> felt like the fudge was beating the hell out of me. Cooling the fudge
>>> while mixing constantly was quite tiring even for a younger me. These
>>> days, it might kill me.
>>>
>>> I never used an ice water bath but that would speed things up. It's
>>> not usually done because it might cool the mix down too fast and cause
>>> the premature formation of sugar crystals. OTOH, that wouldn't be a
>>> problem for you. You were lucky to have a mom that made fudge. Any kid
>>> would be.

>> Sure was! Nobody ever made fudge for me)

> Me neither - dammit!

Just isn't fair, eh?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/3/2013 11:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Sure was! Nobody ever made fudge for me)

>> Me neither - dammit!

> Just isn't fair, eh?

You are right about that. My mom wasn't a great cook or anything but she
encouraged me to learn and I would cook a lot for my family when I was a
kid. When I look at it, that was a good deal for me.

And, while life isn't fair, you can't do any better than having parents
that teach their kids how to live life, prevail, and abide. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/3/2013 11:53 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Me neither - dammit!

>> Just isn't fair, eh?

> You are right about that. My mom wasn't a great cook or anything but she
> encouraged me to learn and I would cook a lot for my family when I was a
> kid. When I look at it, that was a good deal for me.
>
> And, while life isn't fair, you can't do any better than having parents
> that teach their kids how to live life, prevail, and abide. :-)

Very true) It is so important to teach ones children such things

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/03/2013 4:27 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 6:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/1/2013 1:41 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>>>
>>> We also had lemon cake balls. To be honest, I made them because I
>>> wanted to try them. They tasted good, nice and lemony, but they were a
>>> little too sweet.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>> A tragedy!

> My parents were not big sweet eaters; to them, fresh fruit and melons
> were sweet enough. I have to agree with them, for the most part. We did
> have desserts on holidays and sweets on Valentine's Day and Easter.

My mother was a pretty good cook. She cooked beef a little too much for
my taste, and she wasn't very good with fish, but she was able to do
dinner for 6 every night without any fuss, put on a dinner for 15-20
people without drama. Baking was one thing at which she excelled. No
only did she bake bread for us, but there was always something freshly
baked in the house. The highlight of every dinner was dessert. To this
day, I consider a meal to be incomplete without dessert.

I have issues with desserts in restaurants. I usually don't bother. They
tend to be very expensive and they tend not to be as good as I get at
home, which is generally a reflection of what I grew up with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2013 7:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
> A tragedy!

My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
Won't that make it sweet?

Yes, Mom. It will.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2013 7:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>> A tragedy!

> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
> Won't that make it sweet?
>
> Yes, Mom. It will.

Awww I hope you made one for her and that she enjoyed it

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 9:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> On 3/1/2013 7:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>>> A tragedy!

>> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
>> Won't that make it sweet?
>>
>> Yes, Mom. It will.

> Awww I hope you made one for her and that she enjoyed it

Hah, the funny thing is, she's the one who was making the cake.

Imagine my surprise in the last few years to see her hitting the
desserts at holiday get togethers. Not just one piece of pie, either.
Proves what they say, as people get older, they start liking sweet
stuff. She's still probably 85 pounds, if that.

On reflection, I remember that my Italian mil was also fond of
not-sweet desserts. She would rave about this marsala cake she
made, how everyone wanted that recipe. We called it marsala bread.
(laugh) It was dry. Also, my inlaws developed a heck of a sweet
tooth as they got older, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
>>> Won't that make it sweet?
>>>
>>> Yes, Mom. It will.

>> Awww I hope you made one for her and that she enjoyed it

> Hah, the funny thing is, she's the one who was making the cake.

Ahhhh ...

> Imagine my surprise in the last few years to see her hitting the
> desserts at holiday get togethers. Not just one piece of pie, either.
> Proves what they say, as people get older, they start liking sweet
> stuff. She's still probably 85 pounds, if that.

Oddly enough I haven't! Himself does though)

> On reflection, I remember that my Italian mil was also fond of
> not-sweet desserts. She would rave about this marsala cake she
> made, how everyone wanted that recipe. We called it marsala bread.
> (laugh) It was dry. Also, my inlaws developed a heck of a sweet
> tooth as they got older, too.

I still prefer savoury foods and often sweet stuff is too sweet for me and I
can't eat it. Even things I used to like I find too sweet now.

Weird O

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 11:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I still prefer savoury foods and often sweet stuff is too sweet for me
> and I can't eat it. Even things I used to like I find too sweet now.

You're not the only one - if I accidentally pick up Himself's tea, I
find the sweetness overwhelming (and he only takes one teaspoonful).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2013 11:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I still prefer savoury foods and often sweet stuff is too sweet for me
>> and I can't eat it. Even things I used to like I find too sweet now.
>>

> You're not the only one - if I accidentally pick up Himself's tea, I find
> the sweetness overwhelming (and he only takes one teaspoonful).

Not just me then)) Good

Maybe not so weird O
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 4:15 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 7:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>> A tragedy!

> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
> Won't that make it sweet?
>
> Yes, Mom. It will.

Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.

Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 1:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 4:15 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 3/1/2013 7:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>

>>> Unfortunately, Asians have not fully embraced the concept of "dessert."
>>> A tragedy!

>> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
>> Won't that make it sweet?
>>
>> Yes, Mom. It will.

> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>
> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

It's a bit OT but Indian sweets are usually over sweet and often fried.
I practically never have dessert in Indian restaurants. I don't like
Chinese restaurant desserts much either tho' fried bananas are not bad
(but I don't think they are really Chinese.)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 8:35 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> It's a bit OT but Indian sweets are usually over sweet and often fried.
> I practically never have dessert in Indian restaurants. I don't like
> Chinese restaurant desserts much either tho' fried bananas are not bad
> (but I don't think they are really Chinese.)

Most Chinese restaurants don't serve desserts - at least not the ones
over here. I once had an orange gelatin dessert in the shape of a carp
with 2 baby carps that was beautiful and tasty.

The Chinese restaurant that I like is owned by a pastry chef so they
carry some cool desserts. My favorite is a soy milk custard which sounds
awful but is better than any milk based custard I've ever had. I've been
trying to get the recipe from the guy but he's not spilling the beans.
They also serve a whacky deconstructed banana split.

http://in.5thvillage.com/p/398709578602827299_31302738/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 12:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>
> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 1:01 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 12:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
>> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
>> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>>
>> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
>> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

> There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
> green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
> can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
> those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.
>
> Becca

It sounds pretty good. Funny that I've never seen it before. I'll be on
the lookout for it. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2013 8:06 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 3/1/2013 10:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> It's very sad to see dogs with injured front lakes.

>> You would think they would just fall over face first and drown.
>>
>> How do you misspell that word so badly - not once, but twice?
>>

> Voice-to-text software?
> I've noticed quite a few odd spellings which could be the result of that
> sort of software.

I love Dave's typos. I often just giggle out loud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>
> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

Mmmmm. Cakies. We would get them at a neighborhood cake shop.
And then there are the food basements in department stores where
some of the stalls were indeed for French desserts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 1:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> My Japanese stepmother once asked about putting frosting on a cake,
>>> Won't that make it sweet?
>>>
>>> Yes, Mom. It will.

>> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
>> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
>> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>>
>> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
>> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.
>>

> It's a bit OT but Indian sweets are usually over sweet and often fried.
> I practically never have dessert in Indian restaurants. I don't like
> Chinese restaurant desserts much either tho' fried bananas are not bad
> (but I don't think they are really Chinese.)

I suppose you could have ras malai, which haven't been fried and
aren't the absolutely sweetest Indian desserts. Or one could make
them and put in less sweetener.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 12:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what we
>> grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less intense
>> sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>>
>> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
>> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

> There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
> green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
> can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
> those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.
>
> Becca

I have seen that. I am wondering whether the green layer is
pandan(us) while the white layer is coconut.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2013 8:35 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> It's a bit OT but Indian sweets are usually over sweet and often fried.
>> I practically never have dessert in Indian restaurants. I don't like
>> Chinese restaurant desserts much either tho' fried bananas are not bad
>> (but I don't think they are really Chinese.)
>>

> Most Chinese restaurants don't serve desserts - at least not the ones over
> here. I once had an orange gelatin dessert in the shape of a carp with 2
> baby carps that was beautiful and tasty.
>
> The Chinese restaurant that I like is owned by a pastry chef so they carry
> some cool desserts. My favorite is a soy milk custard which sounds awful
> but is better than any milk based custard I've ever had. I've been trying
> to get the recipe from the guy but he's not spilling the beans. They also
> serve a whacky deconstructed banana split.
>

> http://in.5thvillage.com/p/398709578602827299_31302738/

Most here do lychee and of course the fortune cookies but one does a fresh
fruit plate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2013 6:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 5:04 PM, John J wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 15:56:26 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I get a kick out of them when they eat veggie dogs, veggie burgers and
>>> similar faux meats. They tell you those things are good.... that they
>>> taste just like meat. Good. If you want something that tastes just like
>>> meat, eat meat.

>> Why? What if you like the taste of meat but don't like to have animals
>> killed for your food?
>>

> Why? Like I said.. if you want something that tastes like meat, eat
> meat. They process soy and tofu and stuff like that in an attempt to
> look and taste like some bad version of meat, but it doesn't really
> taste like meat.

Because it's a good source of protein, which if you don't eat meat, you
need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 6:20 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> Japanese candy kinda sucks. It's pretty bland stuff compared to what
>> we grew up with. We had sucrose and now HFC syrup and they use less
>> intense sugars and sweets made from rice. Japan caramel is OK though.
>>
>> Their cakes are great! I guess things have changed a lot in the Japan
>> cake department since the 50s-60s. They like French-style pastries.

> Mmmmm. Cakies. We would get them at a neighborhood cake shop. And then
> there are the food basements in department stores where some of the
> stalls were indeed for French desserts.

Those cakes are most amazing and wonderful. In America, we have
cupcakes. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/03/2013 12:17 AM, Cheryl wrote:

>>> Why? What if you like the taste of meat but don't like to have animals
>>> killed for your food?
>>>

>> Why? Like I said.. if you want something that tastes like meat, eat
>> meat. They process soy and tofu and stuff like that in an attempt to
>> look and taste like some bad version of meat, but it doesn't really
>> taste like meat.

> Because it's a good source of protein, which if you don't eat meat, you
> need.

It is made with stuff that can be cooked up and spice up on its own
without being made to look like meat dishes. It just seems odd to me to
eschew meat and meat dishes and to replace them with things that look
and taste (somewhat ) like meat. If you want meat dishes, eat meat. I
have had vegetarian Indian meals that were delicious, but they sure were
dressed up to make them look and taste like what they were not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ema Nymton wrote:

>There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
>green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
>can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
>those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_da_l%E1%BB%A3n
http://www.danangcuisine.com/2012/08...ayer-cake.html
http://www.the350degreeoven.com/2012...g-bean-pandan/
Cute cook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI9AqW6NPk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> So many of those Larsson cartoons are. I love the one about cows
> strolling round the field on their back legs. One of them shouts "Car
> coming, everybody get down"
>
> Janet UK

Hi Janet UK. Yeah, I really loved the Larson cartoons too and I remembered
the one you mentioned so I googled it this morning. Here it is (a little
different than you remembered but a good one!)

http://i46.tinypic.com/mt7cs1.jpg

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 10:23 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> Ema Nymton wrote:

>> There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
>> green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
>> can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
>> those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.
>>
>> Becca

> I have seen that. I am wondering whether the green layer is pandan(us)
> while the white layer is coconut.

Next time I buy some, I will check out the label more closely. I do
remember it contained mung bean paste.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 9:58 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Ema Nymton wrote:
>>
>> There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
>> green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
>> can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
>> those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_da_l%E1%BB%A3n
> http://www.danangcuisine.com/2012/08...ayer-cake.html
> http://www.the350degreeoven.com/2012...g-bean-pandan/
> Cute cook:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI9AqW6NPk

Those are some nice links, thank you, Sheldon. I watched the entire
video, I was mesmerized. The only word I understood, was "vanilla".

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2013 6:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Most here do lychee and of course the fortune cookies but one does a fresh
> fruit plate.

I don't recall fortune cookies being served at Chinese restaurants over
here. The only place we can get them is at Panda's restaurants. They
ain't the greatest fortune cookies but I'll eat them because they're in
the bag and I usually have some time to kill. The process of reading a
fortune is amusing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 1:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/4/2013 6:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Most here do lychee and of course the fortune cookies but one does a
>> fresh
>> fruit plate.

> I don't recall fortune cookies being served at Chinese restaurants over
> here. The only place we can get them is at Panda's restaurants. They
> ain't the greatest fortune cookies but I'll eat them because they're in
> the bag and I usually have some time to kill. The process of reading a
> fortune is amusing.

Where is here, please?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2013 9:31 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 3/5/2013 1:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 3/4/2013 6:48 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Most here do lychee and of course the fortune cookies but one does a
>>> fresh
>>> fruit plate.

>> I don't recall fortune cookies being served at Chinese restaurants over
>> here. The only place we can get them is at Panda's restaurants. They
>> ain't the greatest fortune cookies but I'll eat them because they're in
>> the bag and I usually have some time to kill. The process of reading a
>> fortune is amusing.
>>

> Where is here, please?

Oops - Hawaii, USA. Sorry!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:26:49 -0600, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 3/5/2013 9:58 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Ema Nymton wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a Vietnamese dessert that I like, called Banh da Lon, it is
>>> green and white striped. It is not very sweet, but I just love it. I
>>> can only find it at the Asian market, someone makes it and sells it on
>>> those styrofoam trays covered with plastic wrap, like when you buy meat.

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1nh_da_l%E1%BB%A3n
>> http://www.danangcuisine.com/2012/08...ayer-cake.html
>> http://www.the350degreeoven.com/2012...g-bean-pandan/
>> Cute cook:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI9AqW6NPk

>Those are some nice links, thank you, Sheldon. I watched the entire
>video, I was mesmerized. The only word I understood, was "vanilla".
>
>Becca

You're welcome, Becca.

Vegan Fudge Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 13-03-2013 11:13 AM
Quick Vegan Fudge Judy Haffner General Cooking 12 02-03-2013 09:09 PM
Quick Vegan Fudge Judy Haffner General Cooking 0 02-03-2013 06:24 PM
Quick Marshmallow Fudge Bars jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 08-11-2006 06:08 AM
No 'Cook' quick & easy Christmas Fudge Lestat Recipes 0 19-12-2004 09:40 AM