Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>>> The taste is that of fudge. And when I took a bite after I had mixed
>>> it, it was fine. But it did not set up like fudge and it reminded me
>>> somewhat of that cheese fudge that we bought at Costco that one time.
>>> It was yucky. This wasn't yucky but I don't think I really ever want it
>>> again. The texture is off.

>> OK, I'll chime in here. This recipe is typical of vegan crap. They can
>> call it whatever they want to but it is not fudge. And who'd a thought
>> cocoa powder was optional but more than a "thickener?" I mean of course
>> you can make fudge without cocoa powder if you're willing to give up the
>> thickener, right?

> I could be wrong here. I know that you can make nut butter fudge that is
> cooked or even the somewhat quick kind with powdered sugar in it. I have
> made both kinds. But for this one, the main ingredients are the nut/seed
> butter and the sweetener. And the sweetener is a thick liquid. Because
> the cocoa powder is a powder, I presume it is what is used to help hold it
> all together. If it were not in there, you'd have a gooey mess.

Cocoa is the main flavor. Without it you do not have anything at all but a
mess. Fudge is sweet but the sugar is cooked to a point where it becomes
the main texture of the fudge. Cooked too little it is runny, cooked too
long it is rock hard. So the sugar is not a flavor, it is a fundamental
element. You cannot make fudge without sugar. And you cannot make real
fudge without a "contaminant" like corn syrup which is vital for the proper
consistency as it prevents the sugar from re-crystallizing thus yielding a
smooth texture. It is complex chemistry stuff, not just a flavor.

>> P U. But yes, in this mallard of merde, please do use your best vanilla.
>> And if "vegans" are so against sugar, why the hell would they eat cocoa?
>> From their cherished "moral and ethical" pedestal chocolate is worse by
>> factors.
>>
>> Pass

> Not all people are vegans for moral or ethical reasons. I once tried a
> recipe for a raw candy that was like Tootsie Rolls. And seriously the
> end result was exactly like a very cold Tootsie Roll. They need to be
> kept refrigerated or they'll go too soft.

Tootsie Rolls are primarily wax.

> I also tried a brownie recipe that was raw vegan. It was nuts, dates,
> cocoa powder and there may have been a little coconut oil in there. Can't
> remember. Process in the food processor, press in pan, chill, cut, eat.
> Everyone who tried these loved them and they tasted just like a good,
> baked brownie.

It may taste OK but it is not a brownie. Sounds more like simple granola.
Which is good but it is not cake.

> Also have made many batches of raw vegan onion bread. It's perfect for
> little finger sandwiches and it has the taste and texture of a good
> quality whole grain bread, perhaps because of the high content of ground
> flax in the mix.

What bread is not vegan aside from maybe brioche and challah? Flour, water,
salt and yeast are what comprise most breads. All that is vegan. Although
there are many vegans who claim eating yeast is immoral. But notice how
vegans eschew sugar because it is "immoral" but ignore how "immoral" wheat
can be because hell - you have to eat SOMETHING. Vegan purist are some
seriously messed up people.

> I went on a vegan diet (and I say diet because I do use leather products
> and such) pretty much by default. I don't digest most meats well and I
> can no longer have dairy or eggs. And although I enjoyed the diet, the
> raw part was a PITA due to all the sprouting of nuts and seeds and making
> so much that has to be dehydrated at a low temp. I know some people do
> that diet by eating mainly whole foods and smoothies. But I 'like
> smoothies either. In the end, it wasn't something I could maintain
> because I also don't digest a lot of raw veggies well. So... *shrug*
>
> So now I do try to eat as many raw foods as I can. But I also eat cooked
> foods and would consider myself semi-vegetarian. Meaning that most of the
> time I do eat a vegetarian diet but I do eat some meat. I can not use the
> term vegan or even semi-vegan because true vegans object to that.

True vegans are even crazier than you are. Trust me, you do not want any
piece of their action. They are seriously ****ed up people and it has
nothing to do with what they eat.