Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> That's not even close to being a fudge. Those crazy vegetarians will
>>> try and *******ize anything and everything to get their way.

>> The taste is that of fudge. And when I took a bite after I had mixed it,
>> it was fine. But it did not set up like fudge and it reminded me
>> somewhat of that cheese fudge that we bought at Costco that one time. It
>> was yucky. This wasn't yucky but I don't think I really ever want it
>> again. The texture is off.

> OK, I'll chime in here. This recipe is typical of vegan crap. They can
> call it whatever they want to but it is not fudge. And who'd a thought
> cocoa powder was optional but more than a "thickener?" I mean of course
> you can make fudge without cocoa powder if you're willing to give up the
> thickener, right?

I could be wrong here. I know that you can make nut butter fudge that is
cooked or even the somewhat quick kind with powdered sugar in it. I have
made both kinds. But for this one, the main ingredients are the nut/seed
butter and the sweetener. And the sweetener is a thick liquid. Because the
cocoa powder is a powder, I presume it is what is used to help hold it all
together. If it were not in there, you'd have a gooey mess.

> P U. But yes, in this mallard of merde, please do use your best vanilla.
> And if "vegans" are so against sugar, why the hell would they eat cocoa?
> From their cherished "moral and ethical" pedestal chocolate is worse by
> factors.
>
> Pass

Not all people are vegans for moral or ethical reasons. I once tried a
recipe for a raw candy that was like Tootsie Rolls. And seriously the end
result was exactly like a very cold Tootsie Roll. They need to be kept
refrigerated or they'll go too soft.

I also tried a brownie recipe that was raw vegan. It was nuts, dates, cocoa
powder and there may have been a little coconut oil in there. Can't
remember. Process in the food processor, press in pan, chill, cut, eat.
Everyone who tried these loved them and they tasted just like a good, baked
brownie.

Also have made many batches of raw vegan onion bread. It's perfect for
little finger sandwiches and it has the taste and texture of a good quality
whole grain bread, perhaps because of the high content of ground flax in the
mix.

I went on a vegan diet (and I say diet because I do use leather products and
such) pretty much by default. I don't digest most meats well and I can no
longer have dairy or eggs. And although I enjoyed the diet, the raw part
was a PITA due to all the sprouting of nuts and seeds and making so much
that has to be dehydrated at a low temp. I know some people do that diet by
eating mainly whole foods and smoothies. But I 'like smoothies either. In
the end, it wasn't something I could maintain because I also don't digest a
lot of raw veggies well. So... *shrug*

So now I do try to eat as many raw foods as I can. But I also eat cooked
foods and would consider myself semi-vegetarian. Meaning that most of the
time I do eat a vegetarian diet but I do eat some meat. I can not use the
term vegan or even semi-vegan because true vegans object to that.