Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick Vegan Fudge

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 2/28/2013 2:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> This is my adaptation of what I saw Christina Pirello make the other
>> night.
>> It's super quick and good. But make sure that you have all of the
>> ingredients before you start! Heh! I blasted right in there and then
>> thought... Wait! Do I have cocoa powder? I did not. Not sure it would
>> work without it because it seems to need that to help thicken it. She
>> used
>> a food processor to make hers so she used a cold vegan butter. I have no
>> food processor so I softened my sunseed butter and Nucoa for 20 seconds
>> in
>> the microwave.
>>
>> 1 cup nut/seed butter (the natural kind) I used sunseed
>> 1/4 cup cocoa powder
>> pinch salt
>> scant pinch cinnamon
>> scant pinch chili powder
>> scant pinch black pepper
>> 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
>> 2 tablespoons vegan butter substitute
>> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (use the good stuff)
>> 1/ cup coarsely broken walnuts
>>
>> Basically all I did was soften the seed butter and vegan margarine
>> slightly
>> then mix everything but the nuts in my large pasta bowl. I used a good
>> stiff spoon. Then I mixed in the nuts. Then I pressed this into a foil
>> lined rectangular container. You want it to be about 1" thick. Chill
>> for 3
>> hours then cut into squares.
>>
>> This will not have that slightly grainy texture that a cooked fudge will
>> but
>> it's nice and chew and not overly sweet. And best of all, it's super
>> quick!
>> Well... The chilling time does take a while but I already got into it
>> with
>> a spoon. Which I probably shouldn't have because chocolate tends to mess
>> with my GERD but so far, so good. I would imagine that in its softened
>> state it would be yummy to use with ice cream.
>>
>> And yes, I know that brown rice syrup is purported to be high in arsenic
>> but
>> this is only the second time in my life that I have used the product and
>> don't intend to use it often. I imagine that honey (although not vegan)
>> would give you the same texture but it would for sure change the taste.
>>

> The addition of pepper and chili powder is intriguing. OTOH, I like to
> change a recipe when it has an ingredient that I don't have on hand or
> contains deadly poison. Just something I've learned over the years...

I tried to follow this as closely as I could the first time because I wasn't
sure how it would come out. And I didn't use honey because I really dislike
the stuff. Not sure that corn syrup would work because I think it is too
runny, plus I had none. So far so good on the GERD front. But daughter
didn't like it with the walnuts. Will try to make it again without those
but not sure it will hold up as well.