Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone have a killer Pineapple Upside-down cake recipe?

Good morning all and happy weekend,

We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
with the right recipe.

Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
you might be looking for in return.

Many thanks,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

>Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
>We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
>1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
>I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
>Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
>with the right recipe.
>
>Could anyone help me with this???

Actually the best recipe is one you create as you go... one with the
best ingredients, with the most pineapple, the most butter, the most
cherries, the most brown sugar, the most rum... get my drift?
No recipe:
http://i38.tinypic.com/30cvjwp.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> with the right recipe.
>
> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
> you might be looking for in return.
>
> Many thanks,
> Kris

I wish I had this lady's recipe but she makes the best pineapple upside
own cake. The one "secret" I got from her is that she uses (gasp)
Bisquick as part of the flour in the recipe. You might try a search for
a pineapple upside down cake recipe with Bisquick as one of the
ingredients. I don't think she originated her recipe so you might find it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 11:54*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> >Good morning all and happy weekend,

> >We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> >1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

> >I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> >Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> >with the right recipe.

> >Could anyone help me with this???

> Actually the best recipe is one you create as you go... one with the
> best ingredients, with the most pineapple, the most butter, the most
> cherries, the most brown sugar, the most rum... get my drift?
> No recipe:http://i38.tinypic.com/30cvjwp.jpg

I think I could do that with the topping, but the cake batter part
needs to be more specifc for me.

Thanks for the idea though,
Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 12:51*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Kris wrote:
> > We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> > 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

> The recipe in Joy of Cooking is very good.
>
> -sw

Hmmm, don't own that (surprisingly) - may have to do a search.

Thank you,
Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 3, 8:57 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I wish I had this lady's recipe but she makes the best pineapple upside
> own cake. The one "secret" I got from her is that she uses (gasp)
> Bisquick as part of the flour in the recipe. You might try a search for
> a pineapple upside down cake recipe with Bisquick as one of the
> ingredients. I don't think she originated her recipe so you might find it.

If you're going to do that kind of search I'd suggest also searching
for <cast iron skillet>. I don't make this cake but the best I had as
a child was always baked in a large cast iron skillet. The
grandmother who made it would not have been averse to using Bisquick,
but I don't know what she actually did. She didn't use rum (a
teetotaler, she was) but that idea of Sheldon's sounds good to me. -
aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> If you're going to do that kind of search I'd suggest also searching
> for <cast iron skillet>. I don't make this cake but the best I had as
> a child was always baked in a large cast iron skillet. The
> grandmother who made it would not have been averse to using Bisquick,
> but I don't know what she actually did. She didn't use rum (a
> teetotaler, she was) but that idea of Sheldon's sounds good to me. -

I think that is what was wrong with my last few pineapple upside cakes.
My mother used to do them in a cast iron pan, and they tasted a lot
better than those I made in Pyrex cake pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> with the right recipe.
>
> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
> you might be looking for in return.
>
> Many thanks,
> Kris

My only comment is that the last time I made it, it was rather
soggy, and I thought making mini-versions might work better in
that regard. Maybe in mini-bundt pans?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Oct 3, 8:57 am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>> I wish I had this lady's recipe but she makes the best pineapple
>> upside own cake. The one "secret" I got from her is that she uses
>> (gasp) Bisquick as part of the flour in the recipe. You might try a
>> search for
>> a pineapple upside down cake recipe with Bisquick as one of the
>> ingredients. I don't think she originated her recipe so you might
>> find it.
>>

> If you're going to do that kind of search I'd suggest also searching
> for <cast iron skillet>. I don't make this cake but the best I had
> as
> a child was always baked in a large cast iron skillet. The
> grandmother who made it would not have been averse to using
> Bisquick,
> but I don't know what she actually did. She didn't use rum (a
> teetotaler, she was) but that idea of Sheldon's sounds good to me.
> - aem

I always use a cast iron skilet for pineapple upside down cake and for
cornbread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> with the right recipe.
>
> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a
> recipe you might be looking for in return.

Sorry, nothing specific.

My grandmother used to make a kick-ass pineapple upside-down cake in an
electric skillet. Phone calls and e-mails to our mom have remained
unanswered. She's probably either in Mexico, or dealing with issues
pertaining to anothther grandchild (nowt to do with yours truly).

Grandmom is unavailable onnacounta being currently dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:08:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>aem wrote:
>>
>> If you're going to do that kind of search I'd suggest also searching
>> for <cast iron skillet>. I don't make this cake but the best I had as
>> a child was always baked in a large cast iron skillet. The
>> grandmother who made it would not have been averse to using Bisquick,
>> but I don't know what she actually did. She didn't use rum (a
>> teetotaler, she was) but that idea of Sheldon's sounds good to me. -

>I think that is what was wrong with my last few pineapple upside cakes.
>My mother used to do them in a cast iron pan, and they tasted a lot
>better than those I made in Pyrex cake pans.

I bake pineapple upside down cake in an ancient aluminum roasting pan,
coated with Crisco and lined with waxed paper, the Crisco and waxed
paper makes for easy removal, and peels right off without damaging the
cake. For the cake any yellow cake will work, even box cake...
regardless I use the pineapple canning liquid for the liquid in the
recipe and I often add a few Tbls of Coco Lopez.... it's really a pina
colada upside down cake. Before removal from the pan I poke lots of
holes with a toothpic and drizzle every ten minutes with dark rum
until it sucks up like a full cup. Then let it rest a few hours to
firm up before removing from pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kris wrote:
> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> with the right recipe.
>
> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
> you might be looking for in return.
>
> Many thanks,
> Kris

I like to use crushed pineapple in my cake. No doubt sliced pineapple
looks a lot more spectacular however I don't like how some slices of
cake will give you a little piece of pine while others seems to give you
almost a full slice. It all seems so ... unfair.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Kris wrote:
>
>> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>>
>> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
>> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>>
>> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
>> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
>> with the right recipe.
>>
>> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
>> you might be looking for in return.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Kris

> I like to use crushed pineapple in my cake. No doubt sliced pineapple
> looks a lot more spectacular however I don't like how some slices of
> cake will give you a little piece of pine while others seems to give you
> almost a full slice. It all seems so ... unfair.

Using the same "upside down" technique for various other fruits is very
nice also.

I have an apple upside down cake recipe that works very well with
peaches, strawberries or pears.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
> Using the same "upside down" technique for various other fruits is very
> nice also.
>
> I have an apple upside down cake recipe that works very well with
> peaches, strawberries or pears.

Thanks for the info. I think I'd dry peach slices. In case anybody is
thinking about making an upside down cake with a can of fruit cocktail,
I have done this and it was a bit repulsive. All the small cut-fruits
get mushy and mixed into a kind of unidentifiable mess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. wrote:
>
>> Using the same "upside down" technique for various other fruits is
>> very nice also.
>>
>> I have an apple upside down cake recipe that works very well with
>> peaches, strawberries or pears.
>>

> Thanks for the info. I think I'd dry peach slices.

Definitely, i was talking about fresh fruit, not canned. When i have
had it made with peaches they were blanched first, then peeled and the
cake assembled in a big iron skillet and baked in the oven.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 4:58*pm, Kathleen > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Good morning all and happy weekend,

> > We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> > 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

> > I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> > Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> > *with the right recipe.

> > Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a
> > recipe you might be looking for in return.

> Sorry, nothing specific.
>
> My grandmother used to make a kick-ass pineapple upside-down cake in an
> electric skillet. *Phone calls and e-mails to our mom have remained
> unanswered. *She's probably either in Mexico, or dealing with issues
> pertaining to anothther grandchild (nowt to do with yours truly).
>
> Grandmom is unavailable onnacounta being currently dead.

Thanks for trying - maybe you can post it when it becomes available?

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 11:03*am, Kris > wrote:
> On Oct 3, 11:54*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:23:21 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> > wrote:

> > >Good morning all and happy weekend,

> > >We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> > >1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

> > >I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> > >Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> > >with the right recipe.

> > >Could anyone help me with this???

> > Actually the best recipe is one you create as you go... one with the
> > best ingredients, with the most pineapple, the most butter, the most
> > cherries, the most brown sugar, the most rum... get my drift?
> > No recipe:http://i38.tinypic.com/30cvjwp.jpg

> I think I could do that with the topping, but the cake batter part
> needs to be more specifc for me.
>
> Thanks for the idea though,
> Kris- Hide quoted text -

I use a yellow cake mix and substitute pineapple juice from the can
for the liquid (water, usually). The extra cake batter goes into
cupcakes. I usually buy Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines with butter in
the mix, or pudding in the mix. I use crushed pineapple packed in its
own juice, and drain it well. Hard to beat, taste-wise....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kris" > wrote in message
> Good morning all and happy weekend,
>
> We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.
>
> I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> with the right recipe.
>
> Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
> you might be looking for in return.
>
> Many thanks,
> Kris

You'll need

1 box yellow cake mix
1 can pineapple slices
1 big cast iron pan (as big as you have or can borrow)
1. Jar Maraschino cherries
1 Stick butter
1 Some of brown sugar.
1 Cake mix ingredients.

How...

1 Start the oven
2. Butter the cast iron pan
3. Spread a layer of brown sugar on top of the butter
4. Darin the pineapple rings reserving the syrup/juice
5. Starting in the center place one pineapple ring and the place as many
rings as the pan will hold around the center ring.
6. Place 4 cherry in the center of each ring.
7. Make the cake mix as instructed using the pineapple juice in place of
the liquid called for in the mix. In there is not enough pineapple juice
augment it with the cake mix required liquid.
8. Pour the batter on top of the pineapple rings - even out the mix if
necessary.
9. Bake as directed in the preheated oven.
10. When the cake is done - allow to rest for several minutes and then
invert onto a platter.

Serve at room temperature with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

--
Dimitri
Coming soon:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 10:57*am, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Kris wrote:
> > Good morning all and happy weekend,

> > We're hosting a dear friend next week whom we haven't seen in like 2
> > 1/2 years. He *loves* pineapple upside-down cake.

> > I have a recipe I've used a couple of times (from the 50's Betty
> > Crocker cookbook), and it's good, but I think I could make one better
> > with the right recipe.

> > Could anyone help me with this??? I will gladly help you with a recipe
> > you might be looking for in return.

> > Many thanks,
> > Kris

> I wish I had this lady's recipe but she makes the best pineapple upside
> own cake. The one "secret" I got from her is that she uses (gasp)
> Bisquick as part of the flour in the recipe. You might try a search for
> a pineapple upside down cake recipe with Bisquick as one of the
> ingredients. I don't think she originated her recipe so you might find it..
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. *Cooking does.

Anything with brown sugar and pineapple has to be good, right? ;-)
This recipe sounds like a cross between cake and shortcake.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 10:54*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Sat 03 Oct 2009 02:43:00p, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. told us...
>

> > dsi1 wrote:

> >> I like to use crushed pineapple in my cake. No doubt sliced pineapple
> >> looks a lot more spectacular however I don't like how some slices of
> >> cake will give you a little piece of pine while others seems to give you
> >> almost a full slice. It all seems so ... unfair.

> > Using the same "upside down" technique for various other fruits is very
> > nice also.

> > I have an apple upside down cake recipe that works very well with
> > peaches, strawberries or pears.

> One of my favorite variations is made with pears with gingerbread as the
> cake.
>
> --

Speaking of gingerbread and upside down - I have a recipe for
gingerbread, baked with sliced apples and molasses and I can't
remember what else in the bottom of the pan - served upside down-style
(apples on top) - one of my favorite fall desserts.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 12:29*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Oct 3, 10:54*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:

> > > Using the same "upside down" technique for various other fruits is very
> > > nice also.

> > > I have an apple upside down cake recipe that works very well with
> > > peaches, strawberries or pears.

> > One of my favorite variations is made with pears with gingerbread as the
> > cake.

> > --

> Speaking of gingerbread and upside down - I have a recipe for
> gingerbread, baked with sliced apples and molasses and I can't
> remember what else in the bottom of the pan - served upside down-style
> (apples on top) - one of my favorite fall desserts.
>
> N.- Hide quoted text -

Ooh - could you post it? Sounds like a great seasonal dessert.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Speaking of gingerbread and upside down - I have a recipe for
> gingerbread, baked with sliced apples and molasses and I can't
> remember what else in the bottom of the pan - served upside down-style
> (apples on top) - one of my favorite fall desserts.

This is a killer idea. I'm gonna make one of these. :-)

> N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 03:54:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>One of my favorite variations is made with pears with gingerbread as the
>cake.

Oh, man that sounds good!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 03:54:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>

> >One of my favorite variations is made with pears with gingerbread as the
> >cake.

> Oh, man that sounds good!

I kept meaning to chime in with a "Me Too!" but kept putting it off.

So let me just say, Wayne, that does sound good.

It's now on the "to do" list

Any suggestions of course....

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Thanks, Joseph. I'm glad the idea appeals to you and hope you enjoy it!
>
> You could use canned Barlett pear halves in heavy syrup if you wish, or
> preferably, your favorite variety of fresh pears, halved, cored, and
> poached in wine. In either case, you will need 8-10 pear halves,
> depending on size.
>
> If you poach fresh pears, you might try this...

Thanks Wayne, that does look good and i have saved the recipe. I have
several ginger bread recipes im very fond of.

Im not above using canned pears but i was spoiled by home canned pears
fresh from the family orchards.

Theres actualy a place i can schlep myself to across town that sells the
nicest and ripe imported French 'winter pears' a bit pricey and a long
way to go for an exspensive pear but its the only decent pear i have
found around here.

I suppose i could try poaching some of the 'fresh' pears sold localy but
i am not enthusiastic, they all seem under ripened. I think i will
check the local deli for pears in water rather than syrup.

I intend to make a home made dessert for t'day as an alternative to the
obligatory pumpkin pie i shall purchase and your gingerbread and pear
upside down cake is the best idea i have seen yet.
--
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone have a Pineapple Upside-down cake recipe?

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> ...bake the pear/gingerbread cake instead, now that it's been in
> discussion. I haven't made one for a while.

Something with a crispy top?

Something about crisp and crunchy with pears and wine and cake?

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 11 Oct 2009 08:37:14p, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. told us...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>>...bake the pear/gingerbread cake instead, now that it's been in
>>>discussion. I haven't made one for a while.
>>>

>>Something with a crispy top?

> Not exactly. It will be the upside-down cake, although the brown sugar and
> butter topping can end up a bit crunchy at times. Sometimes I add toasted
> pecan halves to the topping as well.
>

>>Something about crisp and crunchy with pears and wine and cake?

> Unfortunately, wine is not a good combination with several medications I
> take, so I rarely drink it.

Even cooked wine?

Wine used for its flavor rather than its alcoholic content. Its not
unusual to use white wine in place of water in a cake.