Old 30-12-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

I seem to find a lot of root beer or cola recipes and of course a
thousand and one bbq recipes. Those are all fine and well, but this
time I think I would like to try the simple, mild yet savory pulled
pork. The sort of thing I could almost fake a Cuban Sandwich with.
Like carnitas, but markedly different. (At least the pork in carnitas
and the pork in a Cuban seems different to me).

I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
result I'm after.

Thanks for any help!

Old 30-12-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
result I'm after.

Thanks for any help!

Rub the pork butt with a thin coat of vegetable oil. Then coat with a dry
rub of kosher salt, granulated garlic, course ground black pepper, paprika,
and brown sugar. Put the butt onto a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Put
into an oven at about 230F. Although the estimate is about 90 minutes per
pound, you will want to cook until the internal temperature reaches
185-190F.
--
Dave

Old 30-12-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" wrote in message
phaeton wrote:

I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
result I'm after.

Thanks for any help!

Rub the pork butt with a thin coat of vegetable oil. Then coat with a dry
rub of kosher salt, granulated garlic, course ground black pepper,
paprika, and brown sugar. Put the butt onto a rack in a shallow roasting
pan. Put into an oven at about 230F. Although the estimate is about 90
minutes per pound, you will want to cook until the internal temperature
reaches 185-190F.
--
Dave

Good advice.

Now what kind of sauce?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Big-Als...ce/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato
sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season
with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed,
cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce,
simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be
thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat
during the last 10 minutes of cooking

Dimitri

Old 30-12-2008, 12:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
wrote:

but I don't know if that would be the
result I'm after.

I can't read your mind to know what result you are looking for either.
I can see a Carnitas type recipe in a crock pot...but then it would
need to be "crisped" up in the oven.

Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
also. I do this all the time.

This has to be the most authentic Carnitas recipe I have ever made. It
is perfect!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Carnitas (Authentic)

Mexican

4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
32 oz chicken broth
6 lg garlic cloves; ground
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground in a mortar
2 onions, quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro

Cut pork meat into chunks and reserve the big pieces of fat for other
uses.
(I leave some fat as it adds flavor).
Add pork chunks, broth, garlic, comino, onion and cilantro to a Dutch
oven.
If necessary, add water so that the meat is covered.

Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 -4 hours or
until
meat is very soft and pulls apart easily. (Be careful not to shred
meat,
needs to stay in chunks).

Remove the meat carefully from pot and place in a roasting pan. Drain
stock, removing onion and solids. Save for other use. Break the
meat
apart into smaller chunks (don't shred, it needs to stay in chunks).

Bake in the oven at 450°F for about 20 minutes or until the meat is
brown
and crispy.
Heat corn tortillas & serve with desired toppings.

Yield: 6 -8

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Old 30-12-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
wrote:

I suggest you try wet cooking. You can smoke the meat a little first,
if you like. THen transfer to a non-reactive vessel like the ceramic
insert of a slow cooker, with some NC style finishing sauce.

Two sauces I have found to work well are Jeff Smith's Pride of
Deer Camp sauce:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pride-of-D...arinade-191190

A good discussion of these finishing sauces can be found in the
Lexington (NC) Collection, available from:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm

Note these sauces are not tomato based, but on sugar-vinegar-
mustard. I personally put my pork into the top of a Kamodo
and smoke it with apple wood for a while, then transfer to
ceramic as mentioned above. Cook on lo setting.
It will eventually start to fall off the bone and can be
"pulled" in the traditional manner.

Don't miss Mamie Kirk's Slaw recipe in the Lex. Collection.
Made a batch yesterday. No mayo, a perfect match to
pulled pork, never-fail to make and keeps for months
in the fridge. The key to its flavor isi the celery seed. For
those who suffer from IBS or Crohn's, you can nuke the
sugar-vinegar with the celery seed in the microwave, let
chill (per the dfirections) then remove the seeds by straining
through a fine sieve when you add to the cabbage.

HTH

Alex
---------------------

God loves dogs. That's why He created squirrels.

Old 30-12-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

For the Puerto Rican/Carribbean kind of pork, you really need to roast
it low and slow, say 250-300 degrees for several hours, until it "pulls
apart", in the oven, covered with foil. A cup or so of water in the pan
is enough.

The day BEFORE you cook it, season it with a mix of equal parts coarse
ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Make a stab every couple
of inches in the pork butt, about an inch to and inch and a hhalf deep
and stuff each gash with the mix. Rub any remaining mix all over the
roast, cover with plastic and store in the fridge. 12 hours will do, 24
is better. Adding cumin to the seasoning mix is up to you.

IF you want to use the slow cooker, it's a whole different thing,
because the pork will be cooked in liquid, rather than dry, so it's
harder to get the seasonings INTO the meat. All you can really do is
season the cooking liquid.

I make pulled pork for BBQ all the time---in my slow cooker. I just
toss in the butt, add water to 1/3 below the top edge of the roast, add
a palm full of salt and another of black peppecorns---and a CUP of
garlic powder.

It isnt BBQ until the pork is done and I add the BBQ sauce. So, if you
dont want BBQ, just leave off the sauce. You will have a garlicy,
tender pork ready for pulling.

Either method, dry roasted or slow cooker will give you an excellent
"Cuban sandwich" pork.

Lass

Old 30-12-2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:

Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
also. I do this all the time.

What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
with Saran Wrap. G

Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

Old 30-12-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
with Saran Wrap. G

Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

Dogs love it.

Lou

They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
it-who wants to smell like beer??
Old 30-12-2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:

I make pulled pork for BBQ all the time---in my slow cooker.

No, you don't. You make slow cooker pulled pork.

It isnt BBQ until the pork is done and I add the BBQ sauce.

Sorry, Lass, but real bbq has nothing to do with slow cookers or sauce.

--
Dave

Old 30-12-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What do you do with the other half can of beer?

It would depend completely on how "fleshy" your butt is. Maybe a
whole can would be in order.

Or maybe you could save it for another day and roast a chicken on the
can.

Old 30-12-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok...let's have another ****ing contest and beat the dead horse.
Old 30-12-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:06:23 -0500, Goomba
wrote:

Lou Decruss wrote:

What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
with Saran Wrap. G

Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

Dogs love it.

Lou

They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
it-who wants to smell like beer??

I've done that! It makes your hair so shiny!!! Try it sometime.

Carol