Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
> wrote:

I suggest you try wet cooking. You can smoke the meat a little first,
if you like. THen transfer to a non-reactive vessel like the ceramic
insert of a slow cooker, with some NC style finishing sauce.

Two sauces I have found to work well are Jeff Smith's Pride of
Deer Camp sauce:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pride-of-D...arinade-191190

A good discussion of these finishing sauces can be found in the
Lexington (NC) Collection, available from:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm

Note these sauces are not tomato based, but on sugar-vinegar-
mustard. I personally put my pork into the top of a Kamodo
and smoke it with apple wood for a while, then transfer to
ceramic as mentioned above. Cook on lo setting.
It will eventually start to fall off the bone and can be
"pulled" in the traditional manner.

Don't miss Mamie Kirk's Slaw recipe in the Lex. Collection.
Made a batch yesterday. No mayo, a perfect match to
pulled pork, never-fail to make and keeps for months
in the fridge. The key to its flavor isi the celery seed. For
those who suffer from IBS or Crohn's, you can nuke the
sugar-vinegar with the celery seed in the microwave, let
chill (per the dfirections) then remove the seeds by straining
through a fine sieve when you add to the cabbage.

HTH

Alex

God loves dogs. That's why He created squirrels.