Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

I seem to find a lot of root beer or cola recipes and of course a
thousand and one bbq recipes. Those are all fine and well, but this
time I think I would like to try the simple, mild yet savory pulled
pork. The sort of thing I could almost fake a Cuban Sandwich with.
Like carnitas, but markedly different. (At least the pork in carnitas
and the pork in a Cuban seems different to me).

I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
result I'm after.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:

> I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
> putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
> result I'm after.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Rub the pork butt with a thin coat of vegetable oil. Then coat with a dry
rub of kosher salt, granulated garlic, course ground black pepper, paprika,
and brown sugar. Put the butt onto a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Put
into an oven at about 230F. Although the estimate is about 90 minutes per
pound, you will want to cook until the internal temperature reaches
185-190F.
--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> phaeton wrote:
>
>> I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
>> putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
>> result I'm after.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

> Rub the pork butt with a thin coat of vegetable oil. Then coat with a dry
> rub of kosher salt, granulated garlic, course ground black pepper,
> paprika, and brown sugar. Put the butt onto a rack in a shallow roasting
> pan. Put into an oven at about 230F. Although the estimate is about 90
> minutes per pound, you will want to cook until the internal temperature
> reaches 185-190F.
> --
> Dave
> What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, see them driven before
> you, and to hear the lamentation of the women." -- Conan

Good advice.

Now what kind of sauce?
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Big-Als...ce/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups ketchup
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato
sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season
with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed,
cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce,
simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be
thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat
during the last 10 minutes of cooking

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
> wrote:

> but I don't know if that would be the
>result I'm after.

I can't read your mind to know what result you are looking for either.
I can see a Carnitas type recipe in a crock pot...but then it would
need to be "crisped" up in the oven.

Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
also. I do this all the time.

This has to be the most authentic Carnitas recipe I have ever made. It
is perfect!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Carnitas (Authentic)

Mexican

4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
32 oz chicken broth
6 lg garlic cloves; ground
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground in a mortar
2 onions, quartered
1/2 bunch cilantro

Cut pork meat into chunks and reserve the big pieces of fat for other
uses.
(I leave some fat as it adds flavor).
Add pork chunks, broth, garlic, comino, onion and cilantro to a Dutch
oven.
If necessary, add water so that the meat is covered.

Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 -4 hours or
until
meat is very soft and pulls apart easily. (Be careful not to shred
meat,
needs to stay in chunks).

Remove the meat carefully from pot and place in a roasting pan. Drain
stock, removing onion and solids. Save for other use. Break the
meat
apart into smaller chunks (don't shred, it needs to stay in chunks).

Bake in the oven at 450°F for about 20 minutes or until the meat is
brown
and crispy.
Heat corn tortillas & serve with desired toppings.

Yield: 6 -8

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
> wrote:

I suggest you try wet cooking. You can smoke the meat a little first,
if you like. THen transfer to a non-reactive vessel like the ceramic
insert of a slow cooker, with some NC style finishing sauce.

Two sauces I have found to work well are Jeff Smith's Pride of
Deer Camp sauce:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pride-of-D...arinade-191190

A good discussion of these finishing sauces can be found in the
Lexington (NC) Collection, available from:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/lex.htm

Note these sauces are not tomato based, but on sugar-vinegar-
mustard. I personally put my pork into the top of a Kamodo
and smoke it with apple wood for a while, then transfer to
ceramic as mentioned above. Cook on lo setting.
It will eventually start to fall off the bone and can be
"pulled" in the traditional manner.

Don't miss Mamie Kirk's Slaw recipe in the Lex. Collection.
Made a batch yesterday. No mayo, a perfect match to
pulled pork, never-fail to make and keeps for months
in the fridge. The key to its flavor isi the celery seed. For
those who suffer from IBS or Crohn's, you can nuke the
sugar-vinegar with the celery seed in the microwave, let
chill (per the dfirections) then remove the seeds by straining
through a fine sieve when you add to the cabbage.

HTH

Alex
---------------------

God loves dogs. That's why He created squirrels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

For the Puerto Rican/Carribbean kind of pork, you really need to roast
it low and slow, say 250-300 degrees for several hours, until it "pulls
apart", in the oven, covered with foil. A cup or so of water in the pan
is enough.

The day BEFORE you cook it, season it with a mix of equal parts coarse
ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Make a stab every couple
of inches in the pork butt, about an inch to and inch and a hhalf deep
and stuff each gash with the mix. Rub any remaining mix all over the
roast, cover with plastic and store in the fridge. 12 hours will do, 24
is better. Adding cumin to the seasoning mix is up to you.

IF you want to use the slow cooker, it's a whole different thing,
because the pork will be cooked in liquid, rather than dry, so it's
harder to get the seasonings INTO the meat. All you can really do is
season the cooking liquid.

I make pulled pork for BBQ all the time---in my slow cooker. I just
toss in the butt, add water to 1/3 below the top edge of the roast, add
a palm full of salt and another of black peppecorns---and a CUP of
garlic powder.

It isnt BBQ until the pork is done and I add the BBQ sauce. So, if you
dont want BBQ, just leave off the sauce. You will have a garlicy,
tender pork ready for pulling.

Either method, dry roasted or slow cooker will give you an excellent
"Cuban sandwich" pork.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
>which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
>seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
>half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
>also. I do this all the time.

What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
with Saran Wrap. <G>

Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
>>which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
>>seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
>>half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
>>also. I do this all the time.

>What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
>with Saran Wrap. <G>
>
>Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

Dogs love it.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

>> What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
>> with Saran Wrap. <G>
>>
>> Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

> Dogs love it.
>
> Lou

They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
it-who wants to smell like beer??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 wrote:

> I make pulled pork for BBQ all the time---in my slow cooker.

No, you don't. You make slow cooker pulled pork.

> It isnt BBQ until the pork is done and I add the BBQ sauce.

Sorry, Lass, but real bbq has nothing to do with slow cookers or sauce.

--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>What do you do with the other half can of beer?

It would depend completely on how "fleshy" your butt is. Maybe a
whole can would be in order.

Or maybe you could save it for another day and roast a chicken on the
can.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appétit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:25:20 -0800, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Sorry, Lass, but real bbq has nothing to do with slow cookers or sauce.

Ok...let's have another ****ing contest and beat the dead horse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:06:23 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>>> What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
>>> with Saran Wrap. <G>
>>>
>>> Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

>> Dogs love it.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
>it-who wants to smell like beer??

I've done that! It makes your hair so shiny!!! Try it sometime.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:28:34 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>What do you do with the other half can of beer?

>It would depend completely on how "fleshy" your butt is. Maybe a
>whole can would be in order.

What a charming man!

>Or maybe you could save it for another day and roast a chicken on the
>can.

Naw, I'd probably make drunken pinto beans.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
>>which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
>>seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
>>half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
>>also. I do this all the time.

>What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
>with Saran Wrap. <G>
>
>Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

Beer is also a great hair setting product.
When I was in high school we combed beer into our hair before putting
in the rollers. Thank God we don't use rollers anymore, I can now get
a good nights sleep. ;-)

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
> >> What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
> >> with Saran Wrap. <G>
> >>
> >> Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

> > Dogs love it.
> >
> > Lou
> >

> They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
> it-who wants to smell like beer??

Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for cooking...in
five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n stews
'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
cream gravy I made for Christmas.

Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
the ingredients...

It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...

I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
waste.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with Beer

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:30:26 -0600, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for cooking...in
>five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n stews
>'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
>cream gravy I made for Christmas.
>
>Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
>the ingredients...
>
>It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...
>
>I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
>waste.

For Christmas, I got Crash another cookbook (joining book clubs just
before Christmas is a great way to do gift shopping). It's called,
_Great Food Great Beer, The Anheuser-Busch Cookbook_. We haven't
tried any of the recipes yet, but so many of them look fabulous. Great
illustrations.

Here's a recipe that I make from time to time:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Drunk Pinto Beans (Frijoles Borracho)

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beans/Legumes Side Dishes

--- Soak ---
1 pound dried pinto beans -- (450 grams)
4 cups water -- for soaking
--- Beans ---
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
2 medium yellow onions -- chopped
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 smoked ham hocks -- or 1/2 pound diced ham
12 ounces beer -- up to 16 ounces, plus...
water -- to total 8 cups liquid
--- Seasonings ---
granulated onion
granulated garlic
salt
coarsely ground pepper
--- Optional Toppings ---
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped yellow onions
salsa
chopped cilantro -- (coriander leaves)

Pick over beans, removing small stones and clods of dirt. Soak beans
in 4 cups of water overnight, or for 6-8 hours. Drain and rinse
soaked beans.

Sauté chopped onions in hot bacon drippings until onions are
translucent; add minced garlic and heat briefly. Add ham hocks,
onions, garlic, beer and water to beans. Heat to boiling, then reduce
heat. Boil gently, with lid ajar, for 60-90 minutes, until soft but
not mushy. Add liquid as needed. Remove ham hocks, separate and chop
meat, and add back to the pot. Season to taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Best if eaten one or more days after cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:11:06 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> It's called,
>_Great Food Great Beer, The Anheuser-Busch Cookbook_.

Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company, I was forced
to redeem all my BUD stock. They are buying it all back at 70 per
share which is a good price. Now I only hope and pray that they
don't change the flavors of the BUD products!! After these
hostile takeovers, they claim that everything will remain the same as
it has been. Sure.............. How many American breweries are
left? I don't know any longer. Does anyone remember Stroh's
Beer out of Detroit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 2:30*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

> > > Dogs love it.

> > > Lou

> > They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
> > it-who wants to smell like beer??

> Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for cooking...in
> five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n stews
> 'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
> cream gravy I made for Christmas.
>
> Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
> the ingredients...
>
> It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...
>
> I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
> waste.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:

> Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company.....

So! ...that's what happened. Thank God!!

> Now I only hope and pray that they
> don't change the flavors of the BUD products!!

I'm sure they'll continue to make the same mega-swill that has thrilled
millions for decades. Who'd mess up a profit margine like that. But,
don't expect a Belgium brewing concern to not make changes. The best beer
brewing nation on Earth just bought one of the worst beers on Earth. No
Changes? Fat chance. They've already introduced Bud American Ale, a step
to try and make up for being two decades behind in American beer tastes.
The NFL/NASCAR hordes may continue to drown themselves in canoe beer[1],
but they're a dying breed. Good beer is here to stay. Hopefully, AB will
not go down with the canoe.

[1]
Q. What does Budweiser beer and making love in the bottom of a canoe have
in common?
A. They're both next to water.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

On Dec 30, 2:30 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> Goomba wrote:

> > > Dogs love it.

> > > Lou

> > They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
> > it-who wants to smell like beer??

> Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for

cooking...in
> five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n

stews
> 'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
> cream gravy I made for Christmas.
>
> Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
> the ingredients...
>
> It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...
>
> I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
> waste.
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...
------------------------

GM replies:

I start off with some lukewarm water for the yeast and then most of the
added liquid is beer, I'd say about 80%...

I make "cheddar onion beer bread" by adding the beer, then I add some
shredded sharp cheddar and some dried dehy onion to the mix. Very easy, very
tasty...

I like to add dried parsley or Italian seasoning to the mix...onion or
garlic powder or whatever.

I also sprinkle the tops of the loaves with kosher salt and sesame
seeds...gives a nice appearance and taste. So far I've primarily been using
regular unbleached flour, also some oat bran and whole wheat flours...I've
also added instant mashed taters to my dough to make "potato bread" and have
added oatmeal to the dough. You can experiment with all kinds of stuff, you
can't go wrong. You can be very sloppy with measuring ( I don't even
measure anymore, just eyeball it) and the results will be just fine...

My doughs tend to be wet and heavy, it can take more than an hour to bake a
large loaf. I start out at 500 degrees for 15 - 30 minutes and then turn it
down to 425 or so for the remaining time...works fine.

I am going to try some rye soon...

I've found that a little Guinness can go a *long* way, I've made Guinness
Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. Let us know how
the rye turns out...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2:30 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>> Goomba wrote:
>>> They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
>>> it-who wants to smell like beer??

>> Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for cooking...in
>> five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n stews
>> 'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
>> cream gravy I made for Christmas.
>>
>> Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
>> the ingredients...
>>
>> It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...
>>
>> I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
>> waste.
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

> So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
> the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
> or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...

I don't know what kind of beer bread Greg is making, but I make an easy
beer bread:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beer Bread

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:40
Categories : Breads

1 can beer -- 12 oz room temp.
3 c self-rising flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter -- melted(optional)

Measure flour and sugar into a medium-sized bowl. Add beer and stir
well until a batter is formed. Let stand 5 min. Grease a loaf pan with
cooking spray. Brush top of loaf with margarine, if desired. Bake at
350° until top is light brown and bottom of loaf sounds hollow when
rapped (approx. 35-40 min.) Turn out loaf and cool.

This is a dense bread with a large crumb. It goes great with chili and
stews and toasts up rather nicely, too. One always sees little boxes or
bags of beer bread mix in souvenir stores for $5 or $6 bucks. I have
added herbs to this bread and have even upped the sweetener and added a
little cinnamon and some raisins. It's very versatile.

I used the Alt key-number thing to do the degree symbol.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:23:18 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:
>
>> Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company.....

>So! ...that's what happened. Thank God!!

Where have you *been*, nb? I knew it happened and I don't even like
beer, but I noticed the thread about it.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

phaeton wrote:
> I seem to find a lot of root beer or cola recipes and of course a
> thousand and one bbq recipes. Those are all fine and well, but this
> time I think I would like to try the simple, mild yet savory pulled
> pork. The sort of thing I could almost fake a Cuban Sandwich with.
> Like carnitas, but markedly different. (At least the pork in carnitas
> and the pork in a Cuban seems different to me).
>
> I thought about just rubbing the meat with Adobo seasoning before
> putting it in the slow cooker, but I don't know if that would be the
> result I'm after.
>
> Thanks for any help!

For something different, a Filipino-style adobo treatment would work
very well in a crockpot: soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, bay leaves, and
whole peppercorns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:23:18 -0700, notbob > wrote:

> Who'd mess up a profit margine like that.

Those dividend checks came in real handy every quarter!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 4:28*pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> On Dec 30, 2:30 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>

> > Goomba wrote:

> > > They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
> > > it-who wants to smell like beer??

> > Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for

> cooking...in
> > five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n

> stews
> > 'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
> > cream gravy I made for Christmas.

> > Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one of
> > the ingredients...

> > It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...

> > I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
> > waste.

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
> the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
> or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...
> ------------------------
>
> GM replies:
>
> I start off with some lukewarm water for the yeast and then most of the
> added liquid is beer, I'd say about 80%...
>
> I make "cheddar onion beer bread" by adding the beer, then I add some
> shredded sharp cheddar and some dried dehy onion to the mix. Very easy, very
> tasty...
>
> I like to add dried parsley or Italian seasoning to the mix...onion or
> garlic powder or whatever.
>
> I also sprinkle the tops of the loaves with kosher salt and sesame
> seeds...gives a nice appearance and taste. *So far I've primarily been using
> regular unbleached flour, also some oat bran and whole wheat flours...I've
> also added instant mashed taters to my dough to make "potato bread" and have
> added oatmeal to the dough. *You can experiment with all kinds of stuff, you
> can't go wrong. *You can be very sloppy with measuring ( I don't even
> measure anymore, just eyeball it) and the results will be just fine...
>
> My doughs tend to be wet and heavy, it can take more than an hour to bake a
> large loaf. *I start out at 500 degrees for 15 - 30 minutes and then turn it
> down to 425 or so for the remaining time...works fine.
>
> I am going to try some rye soon...
>
> I've found that a little Guinness can go a *long* way, I've made Guinness
> Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. * *Let us know how
> the rye *turns out...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Thanks for all your info- I really wish I had more time in the day to
"play with my food", but you know....I like how versatile this idea
is...have you made any sweet doughs? I made Limpa the other day, and
it came out nice- the rye flour is a nice addition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> [1]
> Q. What does Budweiser beer and making love in the bottom of a canoe
> have in common?
> A. They're both next to water.

Well, that's the cleanest version of that joke I ever saw :-) Though in the
version I first heard years ago it was "American beer" rather than
Budweiser - probably "translated" for an Australian audience that (at that
time anyway) wasn't familiar with the Budweiser brand.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:23:18 -0700, notbob wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill wrote:
>
>> Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company.....

> So! ...that's what happened. Thank God!!
>
>> Now I only hope and pray that they
>> don't change the flavors of the BUD products!!

> I'm sure they'll continue to make the same mega-swill that has thrilled
> millions for decades. Who'd mess up a profit margine like that. But,
> don't expect a Belgium brewing concern to not make changes. The best beer
> brewing nation on Earth just bought one of the worst beers on Earth. No
> Changes? Fat chance.

i think the belgian mega-brewer is more interested in making money than
making good beer. i'd be surprised if they changed budweiser (i don't
think there are any cheaper ingredients to substitute). the lesson of 'new
coke' has not been lost on people.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:08:39 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> i'd be surprised if they changed budweiser (i don't
> think there are any cheaper ingredients to substitute).

Maybe day-old rice from China. That Collie-Fornya stuff is expensive. Ask
Japan.

Kidding aside, InBev has to do something. The new American Ale is an
indicator of the problems they face. No doubt canoe beer still rules the
heartland, but in more sophsiticated markets, canoe beers like Miller,
Coors, Bud, etc, have lost substantial market share. Fifteen years ago the
canoe beers owned 85% of metropolitan supermarket shelves. Now it's 15%.

I've heard German and Brit youth have been embracing US canoe beers, but
Belgium makes the finest beers on Earth. You don't market Gallo Ripple in
the Champagne region of France.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:50:58 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>I made Limpa the other day

I adore Limpa! Tried to make it a couple times in my yoot, but it
never turned out like the bakery bread - which I liked better. Not
sure where to find it now.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:08:39 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i think the belgian mega-brewer is more interested in making money than
>making good beer. i'd be surprised if they changed budweiser (i don't
>think there are any cheaper ingredients to substitute). the lesson of 'new
>coke' has not been lost on people.

Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg? They can introduce
newer, better tasting beers and maybe some people will switch but I
bet most won't.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 08:49:26 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>Kidding aside, InBev has to do something. The new American Ale is an
>indicator of the problems they face. No doubt canoe beer still rules the
>heartland, but in more sophsiticated markets, canoe beers like Miller,
>Coors, Bud, etc, have lost substantial market share. Fifteen years ago the
>canoe beers owned 85% of metropolitan supermarket shelves. Now it's 15%.

I don't understand. Canoe beer has lost market share in metropolitan
areas, so what do you think they need to "do"? It appears there is
now a beer for every taste.

IMO, there should be more choices on tap (and not cookie cutter
choices from bar to bar) like you'd find in English pubs.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:25:39 -0800, sf wrote:

> I don't understand. Canoe beer has lost market share in metropolitan
> areas, so what do you think they need to "do"? It appears there is
> now a beer for every taste.

This is a good thing. YOu don't want just one cheese or one wine. Beer is
no different, though most Americans have yet to adopt that mindset.

> IMO, there should be more choices on tap (and not cookie cutter
> choices from bar to bar) like you'd find in English pubs.

You need to go to the right pub. I know several in the sfba that have
dozens of great beers on tap, some as many as a hundred. The mega-swill is
usually bottled bunk hidden away in a cooler. Even lil' ol' Livermore has
a killer pub on main street that has about 3 doz quality beers on tap and
the place is usually packed from lunch till closing. It's the one place in
lvrmr I really miss.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:34:52 -0600, Chemiker wrote:

> Don't miss Mamie Kirk's Slaw recipe in the Lex. Collection.
> Made a batch yesterday. No mayo, a perfect match to
> pulled pork, never-fail to make and keeps for months
> in the fridge. The key to its flavor isi the celery seed. For
> those who suffer from IBS or Crohn's, you can nuke the
> sugar-vinegar with the celery seed in the microwave, let
> chill (per the dfirections) then remove the seeds by straining
> through a fine sieve when you add to the cabbage.

i didn't see mamie's recipe on that page, and google didn't turn up much
either. care to post it, or give a pointer to it?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
>>which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
>>seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
>>half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
>>also. I do this all the time.

> What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
> with Saran Wrap. <G>
>
> Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

if you're only going to use it to cook, it freezes pretty well, say, in a
plastic beverage bottle. when defrosted, it will be flat but won't turn
skunky. it does seem to expand more than water does.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:11:57 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:18:05 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:35:23 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>>
>>>Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
>>>which doesn't. I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
>>>seasoning. That would be very good in a crock pot. .....and add a
>>>half can beer for the brazing liquid! It will add a lot of flavor
>>>also. I do this all the time.

>> What do you do with the other half can of beer? Never stays fresh
>> with Saran Wrap. <G>
>>
>> Carol, who only uses beer as an ingredient

>if you're only going to use it to cook, it freezes pretty well, say, in a
>plastic beverage bottle. when defrosted, it will be flat but won't turn
>skunky. it does seem to expand more than water does.

Thanks, kiddo. I'll do that!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:49:44 -0800, sf wrote:

> 100 *on tap*? Where's that?

You live in sfba, I live in CO. Useta be one in Hayward. You asking me?

google

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 6:35*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:07:00 -0800 (PST), phaeton
>
> > wrote:
> > but I don't know if that would be the
> >result I'm after.

> I can't read your mind to know what result you are looking for either.
> I can see a Carnitas type recipe in a crock pot...but then it would
> need to be "crisped" up in the oven. *
>
> Cuban style will have more of a lime juice flavor vs. Mexican style
> which doesn't. * I think you are headed more Mexican with the adobo
> seasoning. * *That would be very good in a crock pot. * .....and add a
> half can beer for the brazing liquid! * It will add a lot of flavor
> also. * * *I do this all the time. *
>
> This has to be the most authentic Carnitas recipe I have ever made. It
> is perfect!

Thanks for the advice and recipe! I think i'll make the carnitas
next, but in my travels I stumbled across this recipe at
http://www.grouprecipes.com/16069/cr...uban-pork.html

It may be closer to what i'm looking for, but we'll see tomorrow. I
just set it in the fridge to marinate overnight.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup lime juice
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
* 3 cloves garlic, diced
* 1 tsp oregano
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 2 bay leaves
* 3# boneless pork roast
* 1 large sliced onion

Directions

1. For marinade, combine lime juice, water, grapefruit juice,
garlic, oregano, salt, cumin, pepper, and bay leaves in a medium bowl.
2. Pierce meat in several places and place in crock pot.
3. Pour marinade over meat.
4. Cover pot with stretch wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 6
+ hours, turning occasionally.
5. Remove from fridge and top with sliced onion.
6. Cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
7. Discard Bay leave and remove meat. Using 2 forks, shred pork.
8. Add onions and enough juices to make it your choice consistancy
or serve juices on the side.