Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Slow Cooker Pulled Pork in the Morning

I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker. I
don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a 4-lb pork
shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.

Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include only a
can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The end. Some
have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some have a cup of
broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such: fluids. Some with
little fluids.

I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
last night so it's available.

I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the ones
I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I don't want
a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally BBQ sauce item:
There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the vast majority of it,
and thawing some to enhance chili and/or Scandinavian dishes that tend
to call for "left-over meat". So I don't want it BBQ sauce forward.

In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 1:26:17 PM UTC-7, gtr wrote:
> I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker. I
> don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a 4-lb pork
> shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
>
> Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include only a
> can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The end. Some
> have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some have a cup of
> broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such: fluids. Some with
> little fluids.
>
> I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
> it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
> last night so it's available.
>
> I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the ones
> I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I don't want
> a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally BBQ sauce item:
> There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the vast majority of it,
> and thawing some to enhance chili and/or Scandinavian dishes that tend
> to call for "left-over meat". So I don't want it BBQ sauce forward.
>
> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
> starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

I've posted a Luau Pork recipe here n the past.

found it.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/luau$20pork%7Csort:relevance/rec.food.cooking/FJG8VZTBciA/0koeJiXdW2kJ

I really like it. Not overly seasoned so you can put bbq sauce with it later or use it for Mexican dishes like tacos or just pulled pork sandwiches, etc.

I portion out some and freeze it so I'll have some for later when the craving hits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 2:04:53 PM UTC-7, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 1:26:17 PM UTC-7, gtr wrote:
> > I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker. I
> > don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a 4-lb pork
> > shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
> >
> > Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include only a
> > can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The end. Some
> > have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some have a cup of
> > broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such: fluids. Some with
> > little fluids.
> >
> > I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
> > it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
> > last night so it's available.
> >
> > I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the ones
> > I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I don't want
> > a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally BBQ sauce item:
> > There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the vast majority of it,
> > and thawing some to enhance chili and/or Scandinavian dishes that tend
> > to call for "left-over meat". So I don't want it BBQ sauce forward.
> >
> > In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> > they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
> > starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

> I've posted a Luau Pork recipe here n the past.
>
> found it.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/luau$20pork%7Csort:relevance/rec.food.cooking/FJG8VZTBciA/0koeJiXdW2kJ
>
> I really like it. Not overly seasoned so you can put bbq sauce with it later or use it for Mexican dishes like tacos or just pulled pork sandwiches, etc.
>
> I portion out some and freeze it so I'll have some for later when the craving hits.

Oh.. and I cut back on the salt to 2 T. First try was a bit salty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-26 21:05:53 +0000, ImStillMags said:

> I've posted a Luau Pork recipe here n the past.
>
> found it.
>
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/luau$20pork%7Csort:relevance/rec.food.cooking/FJG8VZTBciA/0koeJiXdW2kJ>
>

> I really like it. Not overly seasoned so you can put bbq sauce with
> it later or use it for Mexican dishes like tacos or just pulled pork
> sandwiches, etc.
>
> I portion out some and freeze it so I'll have some for later when the
> craving hits.
>
>> Oh.. and I cut back on the salt to 2 T. First try was a bit salty.

Funny you should mention that: I looked at this in your first post
(above) and noted the 2 T. (assumed: tablespoon) and it seemed like a
lot of salt compared to some other recipes I've been finding.
Admittedly, a number of them had BBQ, ketchup, soy and/or other salty
components. "Too salty" would be a total scratch for me, so I tend to
err on the side of not being seasoned enough, for fear of ruining a
dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:26:13 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
>they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated.

You don't have to use any of the recipes. Simply lift off the lid, put the
meat in. Put the lib back on. Then turn on the slow cooker.

You can season the meat later.

Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker. I
> don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a 4-lb
> pork shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
>
> Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include only
> a can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The end.
> Some have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some have a cup
> of broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such: fluids. Some
> with little fluids.
>
> I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
> it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
> last night so it's available.
>
> I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the ones
> I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I don't
> want a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally BBQ sauce
> item: There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the vast majority
> of it, and thawing some to enhance chili and/or Scandinavian dishes
> that tend to call for "left-over meat". So I don't want it BBQ sauce
> forward.
>
> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated.
> I'm starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

Sure. I do that one all the time here.

I put the shoulder (or whatever) in whole and frozen in the crockpot,
then add vinegar and soy sauce. Turn on low.

Vinegar tends to be a datu puti brand with the chiles in there but can
be cane sugar 'aka brown' and apple will work if you have that. About
1/4 cup. Soy tend to be 1/4 cup also. I may add 1 TB or so of
worstershire (Is there a brand other than Lea and Perrins? Not here!).

Let that go low and slow and turn it when you think of it. Depending
on the size of meat, it will start falling off the bones and be cooking
in it's own liquid at a low simmer.

Decant it then and pull off the bones. The liquid can be used in other
ways later.

Add the meat to the pot and bring back to heat (medium or high) then
add your choice of BBQ sauce. Pull with a set of forks and enjoy.

There isnt anything simpler to make.

Do NOT add broth and water at the start. It will make the meat pallid
and leached of the flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:26:13 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
>they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
>starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

I was famous at the end of the evening of some friends of mine's
wekdding reception when I was eating pulled pork out of a plastic cup
with a fork because that was all the foods they had yet to put away. I
was very stumbly drunk and cogently spouting off some severely
technical subject and they found the combination of this very drunk
man eating pulled pork from a plastic cup with a fork talking cogently
about a technical thing to be very amusing!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2015 10:26 AM, gtr wrote:
> I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker. I
> don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a 4-lb pork
> shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
>
> Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include only a
> can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The end. Some
> have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some have a cup of
> broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such: fluids. Some with
> little fluids.
>
> I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among it's
> armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from last
> night so it's available.
>
> I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the ones
> I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I don't want a
> sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally BBQ sauce item:
> There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the vast majority of it,
> and thawing some to enhance chili and/or Scandinavian dishes that tend
> to call for "left-over meat". So I don't want it BBQ sauce forward.
>
> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
> starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

I'll typically put a pork shoulder in the oven before going to work or
before going to bed and decide later how I want to finish it. You can
first season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever you feel
like using.

A typical Hawaiian way to finish this would be to mix up some shoyu,
liquid smoke, a little sugar, and the pan juices, and pour that over the
pulled pork. These days I like to just make brown gravy with the pan
juices. If you got the time, put a large amount of onions in the pan and
lay the pork shoulder on top of the onions. The onions will caramelize
and you make gravy from this. Ono!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2015 6:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:26:13 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
>> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated.

> You don't have to use any of the recipes. Simply lift off the lid, put the
> meat in. Put the lib back on. Then turn on the slow cooker.
>
> You can season the meat later.

That's how I do it. Use the bbq sauce as a condiment.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that they are fans for.

Pulled Sqwerty would work, long as you save the squeal for his stalking
victims ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> they found the combination of this very drunk
> man eating pulled pork from a plastic cup with a fork talking cogently
> about a technical thing to be very amusing!
>
> John Kuthe...

They made it seem that way to a drunk, then quickly moved off to recover.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-26 22:55:37 +0000, cshenk said:

> Do NOT add broth and water at the start. It will make the meat pallid
> and leached of the flavor.

Thanks for this and your other input.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-26 23:19:01 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> I was famous at the end of the evening of some friends of mine's
> wekdding reception when I was eating pulled pork out of a plastic cup
> with a fork because that was all the foods they had yet to put away. I
> was very stumbly drunk and cogently spouting off some severely
> technical subject and they found the combination of this very drunk
> man eating pulled pork from a plastic cup with a fork talking cogently
> about a technical thing to be very amusing!

Thanks--I'm already fixed for absurdist material. One of my few selling points.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:09:23 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2015-10-26 23:19:01 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>
>> I was famous at the end of the evening of some friends of mine's
>> wekdding reception when I was eating pulled pork out of a plastic cup
>> with a fork because that was all the foods they had yet to put away. I
>> was very stumbly drunk and cogently spouting off some severely
>> technical subject and they found the combination of this very drunk
>> man eating pulled pork from a plastic cup with a fork talking cogently
>> about a technical thing to be very amusing!

>Thanks--I'm already fixed for absurdist material. One of my few selling points.

It was one of my absurdity high points! I was proud of that!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just put some sliced onions in the bottom of the cooker, salt and pepper
the shoulder or butt, and that's it.

When it is falling apart, I take a fork to it, pull out any chunks of fat, drain
off the liquid, return the pork to the cooker, stir in BBQ sauce, turn the
temp to low and get out the buns.

Sometimes I reserve the onions for the sandwiches, and sometimes I don't.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-27 02:31:06 +0000, John Kuthe said:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:09:23 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-26 23:19:01 +0000, John Kuthe said:
>>
>>> I was famous at the end of the evening of some friends of mine's
>>> wekdding reception when I was eating pulled pork out of a plastic cup
>>> with a fork because that was all the foods they had yet to put away. I
>>> was very stumbly drunk and cogently spouting off some severely
>>> technical subject and they found the combination of this very drunk
>>> man eating pulled pork from a plastic cup with a fork talking cogently
>>> about a technical thing to be very amusing!

>> Thanks--I'm already fixed for absurdist material. One of my few selling points.

> It was one of my absurdity high points! I was proud of that!

And well you should be, some people tend to put too much emphasis on
substance and content. At least they put too much emphasis on it to
serve well my "qualities".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Nancy2 > wrote:

>When it is falling apart, I take a fork to it, pull out any chunks of fat, drain
>off the liquid,

But pork fat is so tasty. I bet that liquid is too. I wouldn't throw
anything away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:49:16 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I just put some sliced onions in the bottom of the cooker, salt and pepper
>the shoulder or butt, and that's it.
>
>When it is falling apart, I take a fork to it, pull out any chunks of fat, drain
>off the liquid, return the pork to the cooker, stir in BBQ sauce, turn the
>temp to low and get out the buns.
>

>Sometimes I reserve the onions for the sandwiches, and sometimes I don't.
>
>N.

Do you cook it 10 hours on low heat?

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> I'd turn it up on high and leave the lid off

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 3:08:19 PM UTC-7, gtr wrote:
> On 2015-10-26 21:05:53 +0000, ImStillMags said:
>
> > I've posted a Luau Pork recipe here n the past.
> >
> > found it.
> >
> > <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/luau$20pork%7Csort:relevance/rec.food.cooking/FJG8VZTBciA/0koeJiXdW2kJ>
> >

> > I really like it. Not overly seasoned so you can put bbq sauce with
> > it later or use it for Mexican dishes like tacos or just pulled pork
> > sandwiches, etc.
> >
> > I portion out some and freeze it so I'll have some for later when the
> > craving hits.
> >
> >> Oh.. and I cut back on the salt to 2 T. First try was a bit salty.

> Funny you should mention that: I looked at this in your first post
> (above) and noted the 2 T. (assumed: tablespoon) and it seemed like a
> lot of salt compared to some other recipes I've been finding.
> Admittedly, a number of them had BBQ, ketchup, soy and/or other salty
> components. "Too salty" would be a total scratch for me, so I tend to
> err on the side of not being seasoned enough, for fear of ruining a
> dish.

The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Big, pretty much...turn it on between low and medium - mine is old and doesn't
have temp control - and it generally is done in 8-10 hours or so.

And sorry, whoever said it...I don't eat pork fat in chunks, and have no use for
the liquid, really. I don't make pot pies, pork gravy, stews, etc.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-27 15:56:58 +0000, ImStillMags said:

> The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You
> are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as
> little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

Well you sold me on checking out the Hawaiian salt; sounds interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-26 20:26:13 +0000, gtr said:

> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated. I'm
> starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).

Thanks for the input--I've cataloged it for comparison to my own
attempt. Clearly what was underscored in the views here was that it
hardly matters what is added--please yourself. Many online recipes skew
way to the opposite approach, meticulous combinations of 10-15 items.
The wife points out that most of them constitute what might pass for
BBQ sauce-type combinations.

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I cooked a 4lb. Boston Butt Roast in the Slow Cooker for 8 hours with
zero liquid added, fat side down. At end of cooking, drippings had run
out of the roast and accumulated around it in the Crock Pot up to
within an inch of the top of the roast. I took the meat out hot and
layed it on paper towels to drain, then placed it on a platter to pull
it apart with forks. I left the Crock Pot cooling off all night. The
next morning I looked in the Crock Pot and it appeared to have 3
inches of white lard which resembled parafin. A pork shoulder or
Boston Butt Roast is definitely "self basting".

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:17:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> On 2015-10-27 15:56:58 +0000, ImStillMags said:
>
> > The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You
> > are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as
> > little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

> Well you sold me on checking out the Hawaiian salt; sounds interesting.

I'm going to try making smoked salt someday. I don't care if it came
from Hawaii or not. Didn't you say you have a stovetop smoker? You
could use that and make your own.
http://simpledailyrecipes.com/935/ma...wnsmoked-salt/

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 10:00:30 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:17:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
> > On 2015-10-27 15:56:58 +0000, ImStillMags said:
> >
> > > The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You
> > > are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as
> > > little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

> > Well you sold me on checking out the Hawaiian salt; sounds interesting.

> I'm going to try making smoked salt someday. I don't care if it came
> from Hawaii or not. Didn't you say you have a stovetop smoker? You
> could use that and make your own.
> http://simpledailyrecipes.com/935/ma...wnsmoked-salt/
>
> --
>
> sf

Smoked salt sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll make some too but it'll involve dripping some liquid smoke on to alaea salt. That's Hawaiians for you - lazy. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:24:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Smoked salt sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll make some too but it'll involve dripping some liquid smoke on to alaea salt. That's Hawaiians for you - lazy. Thanks.

I thought about doing that too (with kosher). Let me know if it
works! LOL

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-27 19:58:32 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:17:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-27 15:56:58 +0000, ImStillMags said:
>>
>>> The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You
>>> are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as
>>> little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

>> Well you sold me on checking out the Hawaiian salt; sounds interesting.

> I'm going to try making smoked salt someday. I don't care if it came
> from Hawaii or not. Didn't you say you have a stovetop smoker? You
> could use that and make your own.
> http://simpledailyrecipes.com/935/ma...wnsmoked-salt/

No stovetop smoker. I have a barrel-style smoker, used only for making
smoked fish, which has laid fallow for about 4 years. I may turn to it
during the winter for beef and foul, which I've never tried.

I bought some French smoked salt a few years back, and still have
plenty of it. I'm reminded the wife is not a fan of smoked flavors in
general; favorite cheese is aged gouda, but doesn't care for smoked
gouda. Ah well, my freedoms vastly outweigh the limitations...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-27 19:35:26 +0000, William said:

> I cooked a 4lb. Boston Butt Roast in the Slow Cooker for 8 hours with
> zero liquid added, fat side down.

After a few hours in the cooker I gave mine a quarter turn. Are you
saying you never rolled the thing over?

> At end of cooking, drippings had run
> out of the roast and accumulated around it in the Crock Pot up to
> within an inch of the top of the roast. I took the meat out hot and
> layed it on paper towels to drain, then placed it on a platter to pull
> it apart with forks. I left the Crock Pot cooling off all night. The
> next morning I looked in the Crock Pot and it appeared to have 3
> inches of white lard which resembled parafin. A pork shoulder or
> Boston Butt Roast is definitely "self basting".

What I bought is labeled both "Boston butt roast" AND pork shoulder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2015102714353558725-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2015-10-27 19:35:26 +0000, William said:
>
>> I cooked a 4lb. Boston Butt Roast in the Slow Cooker for 8 hours with
>> zero liquid added, fat side down.

> After a few hours in the cooker I gave mine a quarter turn. Are you
> saying you never rolled the thing over?
>
>> At end of cooking, drippings had run
>> out of the roast and accumulated around it in the Crock Pot up to
>> within an inch of the top of the roast. I took the meat out hot and
>> layed it on paper towels to drain, then placed it on a platter to pull
>> it apart with forks. I left the Crock Pot cooling off all night. The
>> next morning I looked in the Crock Pot and it appeared to have 3
>> inches of white lard which resembled parafin. A pork shoulder or
>> Boston Butt Roast is definitely "self basting".

> What I bought is labeled both "Boston butt roast" AND pork shoulder.

<g> It took me a while to work out that US butt is actually Shoulder)

I could never figure out how you can have a butt on your shoulder ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-10-27 21:39:00 +0000, Ophelia said:

>> What I bought is labeled both "Boston butt roast" AND pork shoulder.

> <g> It took me a while to work out that US butt is actually Shoulder)
>
> I could never figure out how you can have a butt on your shoulder ...

For a pig I think the shoulder on the front legs is not dramatically
different from the shoulder on the back legs. Just my rationale...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 1:00:30 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:17:28 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>
> > On 2015-10-27 15:56:58 +0000, ImStillMags said:
> >
> > > The Hawaiian lava salt is not as "salty" as regular salt to me. You
> > > are going for the smoky, ashy taste of the lava. You could use as
> > > little as 1 T (tablespoon) . Trust me it's not salty.

> > Well you sold me on checking out the Hawaiian salt; sounds interesting.

> I'm going to try making smoked salt someday. I don't care if it came
> from Hawaii or not. Didn't you say you have a stovetop smoker? You
> could use that and make your own.
> http://simpledailyrecipes.com/935/ma...wnsmoked-salt/
>
> --
>
> sf

It's not just "smoked". The lava has a different note.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2015-10-26 22:55:37 +0000, cshenk said:
>
> > Do NOT add broth and water at the start. It will make the meat
> > pallid and leached of the flavor.

> Thanks for this and your other input.

Welcome!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BigC, I am curious why you put it fat side down. That would hardly make it self basting,
although you made out alright with so much fat-filled liquid at the finish.

For self-basting purposes, I put the meat fat side on top.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 10/26/2015 10:26 AM, gtr wrote:
> > I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker.
> > I don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a
> > 4-lb pork shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
> >
> > Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include
> > only a can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The
> > end. Some have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some
> > have a cup of broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such:
> > fluids. Some with little fluids.
> >
> > I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
> > it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
> > last night so it's available.
> >
> > I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the
> > ones I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I
> > don't want a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally
> > BBQ sauce item: There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the
> > vast majority of it, and thawing some to enhance chili and/or
> > Scandinavian dishes that tend to call for "left-over meat". So I
> > don't want it BBQ sauce forward.
> >
> > In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
> > they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated.
> > I'm starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).
> >

> I'll typically put a pork shoulder in the oven before going to work
> or before going to bed and decide later how I want to finish it. You
> can first season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever you
> feel like using.
>
> A typical Hawaiian way to finish this would be to mix up some shoyu,
> liquid smoke, a little sugar, and the pan juices, and pour that over
> the pulled pork. These days I like to just make brown gravy with the
> pan juices. If you got the time, put a large amount of onions in the
> pan and lay the pork shoulder on top of the onions. The onions will
> caramelize and you make gravy from this. Ono!

While the oven will work, if finances matter at all to you, it will
cost you about 5-8$ (depending on area) to cook it that way. It will
cost you about 25-40 cents in a crockpot. A crockpot won't make the
dry rub 'dry as hell until you sauce it' sort, but it works well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I just put some sliced onions in the bottom of the cooker, salt and
> pepper the shoulder or butt, and that's it.
>
> When it is falling apart, I take a fork to it, pull out any chunks of
> fat, drain off the liquid, return the pork to the cooker, stir in BBQ
> sauce, turn the temp to low and get out the buns.
>

> Sometimes I reserve the onions for the sandwiches, and sometimes I
> don't.
>
> N.

Yup!

I add a few other things like Vinegar and Soy sauce but that's just me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 00:00:31 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Oct 2015, Nancy2 > wrote:
> >
> > > When it is falling apart, I take a fork to it, pull out any
> > > chunks of fat, drain off the liquid,

> > But pork fat is so tasty. I bet that liquid is too. I wouldn't throw
> > anything away.

> Ideally you'd want to separate out the fat and simmer down the liquid
> so it absorbs and concentrates back into/onto the meat. That liquid
> is pure flavor that leached out of the meat. If I were doing a pork
> butt in the crock pot I'd turn it up on high and leave the lid off for
> the last two hours (maybe getting up some of that fat with a turkey
> baster or ladle)
>
> -sw

LOL, might want to try that first. I can tell you it won't work though
it 'sounds good' if not familiar with the device.

Best is do not add liquid and it all cooks together. Works just as it
is. Defat the broth for gravy for a second meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2015 6:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

> You don't have to use any of the recipes. Simply lift off the lid, put the
> meat in. Put the lib back on. Then turn on the slow cooker.
>
> You can season the meat later.
>
> Don. http://paleofood.com/ (e-mail at page bottom).

That would be my choice. I may put a little salt, pepper, garlic as a
base that goes with anything, but my preference is a cider vinegar
sauce, eastern NC style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2015 8:02 PM, cshenk wrote:

> While the oven will work, if finances matter at all to you, it will
> cost you about 5-8$ (depending on area) to cook it that way. It will
> cost you about 25-40 cents in a crockpot. A crockpot won't make the
> dry rub 'dry as hell until you sauce it' sort, but it works well.

Typical oven is about 3600 watts on full power. or 3.6kW. We pay 19
cents so it is about 68 cents an hour on full power. Once the oven
reaches temperature it needs little power to maintain. Probably 20 cents
or so.

Crockpot is maybe 200 watts or 0.2 kW or 3.8 cents per hour.

Makes less difference in the winter f you are running heat anyway as the
oven heat loss supplements the house heat. In summer you may be paying
for the AC to remove the heat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/27/2015 2:02 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 10/26/2015 10:26 AM, gtr wrote:
>>> I've never done pulled pork, and few dishes in my new slow cooker.
>>> I don't know why I picked it this dish, but I did. Picked up a
>>> 4-lb pork shoulder and snooped on the net for recipes.
>>>
>>> Holy moly, can this be made every conceivable way! Some include
>>> only a can of ginger ale/Dr. Pepper and a bottle of BBQ sauce. The
>>> end. Some have long lists of tsp of this and Tbs of that. Some
>>> have a cup of broth or 1/2 cup vinegar or wine and other such:
>>> fluids. Some with little fluids.
>>>
>>> I saw one with a cup of sake, a cup of soy and a cup of sugar among
>>> it's armaments. I have a 1/2 bottle of good red wine left over from
>>> last night so it's available.
>>>
>>> I've been trying to work through a recipe by merging/purging the
>>> ones I've pulled from the net but don't feel super confident. I
>>> don't want a sugary version, and I don't want it to be a totally
>>> BBQ sauce item: There are only two of us so I'll be freezing the
>>> vast majority of it, and thawing some to enhance chili and/or
>>> Scandinavian dishes that tend to call for "left-over meat". So I
>>> don't want it BBQ sauce forward.
>>>
>>> In any case: Anyone have recommendations for a pulled pork dish that
>>> they are fans for. Any generic or specific pointers appreciated.
>>> I'm starting tomorrow (Oct 27, 2015).
>>>

>> I'll typically put a pork shoulder in the oven before going to work
>> or before going to bed and decide later how I want to finish it. You
>> can first season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, or whatever you
>> feel like using.
>>
>> A typical Hawaiian way to finish this would be to mix up some shoyu,
>> liquid smoke, a little sugar, and the pan juices, and pour that over
>> the pulled pork. These days I like to just make brown gravy with the
>> pan juices. If you got the time, put a large amount of onions in the
>> pan and lay the pork shoulder on top of the onions. The onions will
>> caramelize and you make gravy from this. Ono!

> While the oven will work, if finances matter at all to you, it will
> cost you about 5-8$ (depending on area) to cook it that way. It will
> cost you about 25-40 cents in a crockpot. A crockpot won't make the
> dry rub 'dry as hell until you sauce it' sort, but it works well.

Our electricity is around $.34 a kWh. Hee hee. My guess is an oven will
use around 1 kW/hour @ 300 degrees. That's just my whacky guess. The
truth is that I don't use the oven much because it's such a hassle to
fire it up. I prefer to use the toaster oven. I have a crock pot cooker
but it's still in the box. I'll probably re-gift this holiday season.
God bless you Father Christmas!