Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow Cooker - Pulled Pork

We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.

Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste. I
am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add that
only after it's cooked.

Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Use trimmed pork butt.

Ram a cucumber back up yer woman-abusing arse.

You criminally STALK and ABUSE women, you sick little dwarfy man!

Here's what you did when you went all over the Usenet impersonating the
well-liked regular named "sf" and posting all her personal data on the
net against her will, including her:

* home address
* age
* cell phone number
* husband's name

etc.

YOU did that, you evil *******!

And then you had the hubris to actually GLOAT about in public saying:

ost

Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:18:00 -0600
MicroPlanet-Gravity/3.0.4

She should call the cops. I've already publicly admitted it is me so
a conviction should be a piece of cake and then forging would stop.
So what's stopping her? I think she suffers from Bovism - she just
loves the attention and drama and screw the rest of the group.

-sw

And before that you literally stalked poor Omelet, a local Auustin
favorite, right off the Usenet!

In your worst moment ever you actually begged her to KILL you:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Then after having your nose rubbed in your filthy criminal stalking you
came back with, not an apology, nor the slightest remorse, just this:

"The facebook group is much more pleasant."

But we all know that's only because you cower over there in mortal fear
of being booted by the FB admins.

You're _so done_ here virus, I mean really ****ing done.

I'm making you a project like no other, expect a lot more of your evil
abuse and hatred to be aired for all to see here.

And we both know there's a google archive full of your hatred of women
just waiting to be hung out on the virtual clothesline to dry.

Enjoy then, you rotten, worthless misogynistic *******!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve, I often do it in the crockpot...use pork butt. My pot doesn't have temp
settings other than low-medium-high, so I usually put the dial between low and
medium for an all-day cook. I take the meat out, drain the juice, trim off the fat,
Shred the meat and put it back in the pot adding BBQ sauce ... Leave it in the
pot until sauce and meat is hot. It is always delicious and tender.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>
> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste.
> I am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add
> that only after it's cooked.
>
> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

No problem Steve, I've got yet another going right now.

Bone in Pork shoulder or Pork butt. Both work. Big as can fit in your
crockpot (I have a really LARGE oval Hamilton Beach for this).

I normally load a whole one in still frozen. Set crockpot to low.

Add vinegar but not as much as the premade stuff did. You want about
3TB. If it helps, I use a Cane Vinegar (Datu Puti brand). It's not
overtly 'In your Face' like apple and whites are. THis will tenderize
the meat as the juices develop but not overwhem the dish.

Next is Soy sauce. Datu Puti brand as well for a good price for a true
brew. About 3TB as well.

Optional: healthy dash of Wortershire (Lea and Perrins), about 3/4TB

Add this to the frozen shoulder or butt and turn it on. ADD NOTHING
ELSE. No broth, BBQ sauce etc. Broth will just leach the flavor out.

Set on low (which is about the temp of long cooked oven pork BTW) and
turn when you think of it. When it softens enough, stab it with forks
or knives. Depending on the size of the meat, you are looking at about
12 hours. Don't worry if that hits at 3am. It will be fine.

When it tries to fall apart when you turn it, it's ready to decant. It
will be swimming in it's own liquid by now and that is what is supposed
to happen, but it won't be leaching flavor out of the meat.

I usually have my husband slowly pour the liquid out over a stock pot
while I steady the meat then we let the meat cool a little and it in a
deep wide pan for deboning.

The stock can be used after defatting for gravy if you like, but I find
it a little vinegary for that. It's fatty enough you don't want it
down the pipes though (can lead to clogs).

The meat at this level of use will not have any taste of vinegar. Just
a mild hint of sweet tang that's hard to define where it came from.
Use 2 forks and tear it apart to the level YOU want, removing it from
the bones. Discard bones as they have nothing useful left (do not let
pets have them, they aren't safe for feeding now).

Add meat back to the crockpot and NOW add whatever BBQ sauce you like.
Turn to Medium or high for about 45 minutes (you should see steam on
the lid dripping back in). It's good to go now.

I save some off to the freezer right away before adding BBQ sauce so I
can use it in other recipes.

Can you use a defrosted one? Sure. It will cook faster. Same recipe
but you'll hit the 'falling off the bone' in about 7 hours (again,
depends on size).

Oh, and don't waste a true boneless pork loin on this. It's not got
the fat for a good result. Those work better pan seared at high heat
for 4 mins a side at 3/4-1inch thick and with a sauce under them.

Questions?

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2015 6:24 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Steve, I often do it in the crockpot...use pork butt. My pot doesn't have temp
> settings other than low-medium-high, so I usually put the dial between low and
> medium for an all-day cook. I take the meat out, drain the juice, trim off the fat,
> Shred the meat and put it back in the pot adding BBQ sauce ... Leave it in the
> pot until sauce and meat is hot. It is always delicious and tender.
>
> N.

That sounds about right, Nancy2.

Steve should definitely *not* use pork tenderloin. It's not the right
cut for pulled pork. The butt (shoulder) is what is needed. And don't
cook the pork IN the sauce. No no no. Even when BBQ joints serve
pulled pork the sauce is always on the side. IMHO.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:21:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>
> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste. I
> am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add that
> only after it's cooked.

Just an FYI about pork, in my mind there's no better partner than beer
- but you could use apple cider/juice. I wouldn't waste my money on a
tenderloin for the slow cooker when pork shoulder is perfect for
pulling. I do mine with beer only so the leftovers are versatile.

> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Everything you'd normally braise or stew is perfect for a slow cooker
and mine makes stock a couple of times a month.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> Steve, I often do it in the crockpot...use pork butt. My pot doesn't
> have temp settings other than low-medium-high, so I usually put the
> dial between low and medium for an all-day cook. I take the meat
> out, drain the juice, trim off the fat, Shred the meat and put it
> back in the pot adding BBQ sauce ... Leave it in the
> pot until sauce and meat is hot. It is always delicious and tender.
>
> N.

Thanks to you and to everyone for their replies. We are likely going to
take another try at this tomorrow.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in
:

> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>
> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste.
> I am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add
> that only after it's cooked.
>
> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

This is one of my favorites:

1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1/2 tablespoon coriander
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
Generous pinch of salt
2 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt
2.5 bottles of Sierra Nevadaź Porter
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, 12-14 ounces
4 buns
1.5 cups coleslaw

Mix all dry spices in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture onto all
sides of the pork. Place the pork in a slow cooker with 2 bottles of
Porter. (The pork should be just more than half submerged in the
beer.) Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Remove tender, finished pork and flake apart with a fork. Move the
flaked pork into a large skillet with high sides. Pour the slow
cooker's remaining liquid into the skillet, adding an entire bottle of
BBQ sauce and 1/2 bottle of Porter. (Take a guess at what to do with
the other half!) Under high heat, bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce
heat and simmer the pork for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is
gone.

Top hearty buns with a large scoop of pork, layer on some coleslaw
and, at risk of stating the obvious, enjoy. This pork is also great in
grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, tacos, or just by itself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 9:21:50 AM UTC-10, Steve Freides wrote:
> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>
> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste. I
> am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add that
> only after it's cooked.
>
> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

I don't think I've ever seen pulled pork made with pork tenderloin before. I use pork butt or shoulder. The great thing about slow cooked pork is that you don't have to decide which way to go with the flavors. You got all day to mull over it. A simple treatment is to reserve the pot liquid, add some shoyu, liquid smoke, and salt to taste. The sauce should be very thin. Shred the pork and add the sauce. Serve with haupia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPlZxi5RI8Y
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Ophy tried it and actually won a bbq
> > contest over Marty? LOL.

> Hah since I never make BBQ it would be more than funny ...

Yeah...that's what I was laughing about.
I do trust him as the BBQ expert though.
I listen when he talks about methods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Ophy tried it and actually won a bbq
>> > contest over Marty? LOL.

>> Hah since I never make BBQ it would be more than funny ...

> Yeah...that's what I was laughing about.
> I do trust him as the BBQ expert though.
> I listen when he talks about methods.

Well I won't be BBQing, but I am hoping he can advise me about wrapping and
cooking.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 9:21:50 AM UTC-10, Steve Freides wrote:
>> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
>> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
>> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>>
>> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste. I
>> am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add that
>> only after it's cooked.
>>
>> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -S-

> I don't think I've ever seen pulled pork made with pork tenderloin before. I use pork butt or shoulder. The great thing about slow cooked pork is that you don't have to decide which way to go with the flavors. You got all day to mull over it. A simple treatment is to reserve the pot liquid, add some shoyu, liquid smoke, and salt to taste. The sauce should be very thin. Shred the pork and add the sauce. Serve with haupia.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPlZxi5RI8Y

Oh heck yes!!!!!

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> [...]

> from. Use 2 forks and tear it apart to the level YOU want, removing
> it from the bones. Discard bones as they have nothing useful left
> (do not let pets have them, they aren't safe for feeding now).
>
> Add meat back to the crockpot and NOW add whatever BBQ sauce you like.
> Turn to Medium or high for about 45 minutes (you should see steam on
> the lid dripping back in). It's good to go now.
>
> I save some off to the freezer right away before adding BBQ sauce so I
> can use it in other recipes.
>
> Can you use a defrosted one? Sure. It will cook faster. Same recipe
> but you'll hit the 'falling off the bone' in about 7 hours (again,
> depends on size).
>
> Oh, and don't waste a true boneless pork loin on this. It's not got
> the fat for a good result. Those work better pan seared at high heat
> for 4 mins a side at 3/4-1inch thick and with a sauce under them.

We bought a 5+ lb. pork butt and put in in the cooker at 9 AM. We have
a 6-quart Hamilton Beach.

We followed your suggestions about what to add. We set the heat on low,
and the timer for 7 hours. We're hoping to take it to a pot luck New
Year's Eve tonight.

The pork butt came held together with some plastic netting, which we
removed, and the thing sort of spread itself out across the bottom of
the cooker.

Maybe we should put it on Medium instead of Low?

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> Hah since I never make BBQ it would be more than funny ...

>> Yeah...that's what I was laughing about.
>> I do trust him as the BBQ expert though.
>> I listen when he talks about methods.

> Well I won't be BBQing, but I am hoping he can advise me about
> wrapping and cooking.

We've had some success with faking a smoker by using the grill on a low
flame and putting wood chips in water in there with it. Not sure we've
quite figured it out altogether but it seemed to work OK the few times
we tried it last summer.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be kind of funny if Ophy tried it and actually won a bbq
>>> contest over Marty? LOL.

>> Hah since I never make BBQ it would be more than funny ...

> Yeah...that's what I was laughing about.
> I do trust him as the BBQ expert though.

Then you're a fool's fool:

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

> I listen when he talks about methods.

Why would hou be so STUPID???

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message

>>> Hah since I never make BBQ it would be more than funny ...

>> Yeah...that's what I was laughing about.
>> I do trust him as the BBQ expert though.
>> I listen when he talks about methods.

> Well I won't be BBQing, but I am hoping he can advise me about wrapping
> and cooking.

With THIS track record????

Why????

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> > (again, depends on size).
> >
> > Oh, and don't waste a true boneless pork loin on this. It's not got
> > the fat for a good result. Those work better pan seared at high
> > heat for 4 mins a side at 3/4-1inch thick and with a sauce under
> > them.
> >
> > Questions?
> >
> > Carol

> We bought a 5+ lb. pork butt and put in in the cooker at 9 AM. We
> have a 6-quart Hamilton Beach.
>
> We followed your suggestions about what to add. We set the heat on
> low, and the timer for 7 hours. We're hoping to take it to a pot
> luck New Year's Eve tonight.
>
> The pork butt came held together with some plastic netting, which we
> removed, and the thing sort of spread itself out across the bottom of
> the cooker.
>
> Maybe we should put it on Medium instead of Low?

Grin, by 7 hours it was falling off the bone but I've never used a
timer in my life for a crockpot.

Decant and debone (the butt takes only moments to debone)

If i left out something you needed, I am sorry. Mine came out great!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

-snip-

> Grin, by 7 hours it was falling off the bone but I've never used a
> timer in my life for a crockpot.
>
> Decant and debone (the butt takes only moments to debone)
>
> If i left out something you needed, I am sorry. Mine came out great!
>
> Carol

It came out great. Ours has a timer - 7 hours worked out just fine. I
think it could have gone longer but it went long enough. The cooker
switches to warming mode once the timer finishes.

We discarded the juices from cooking - maybe next time, we'll put some
back in.

We used Rufus Teague bbq sauce, the Honey Sweet variety. Our 5+ lb.
pork butt (note - no bone) took a good bottle-and-a-half of the stuff.
I think we'll try a different sauce next time and eventually maybe we'll
try to make our own. I think the pan juices might have made it more
moist in a good way.

The dish was a big hit - no leftovers. Thanks again to you and to
everyone else who responded here; we'll certainly be doing this again.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:21:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used - pork
>> tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started with
>> store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
>>
>> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my
>> taste. I am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce
>> and add that only after it's cooked.
>>

> Just an FYI about pork, in my mind there's no better partner than beer
> - but you could use apple cider/juice. I wouldn't waste my money on a
> tenderloin for the slow cooker when pork shoulder is perfect for
> pulling. I do mine with beer only so the leftovers are versatile.
>
>> Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> Everything you'd normally braise or stew is perfect for a slow cooker
> and mine makes stock a couple of times a month.

Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
cooking? How much beer?

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
> > Grin, by 7 hours it was falling off the bone but I've never used a
> > timer in my life for a crockpot.
> >
> > Decant and debone (the butt takes only moments to debone)
> >
> > If i left out something you needed, I am sorry. Mine came out great!
> >
> > Carol

> It came out great. Ours has a timer - 7 hours worked out just fine.
> I think it could have gone longer but it went long enough. The
> cooker switches to warming mode once the timer finishes.
>
> We discarded the juices from cooking - maybe next time, we'll put
> some back in.
>
> We used Rufus Teague bbq sauce, the Honey Sweet variety. Our 5+ lb.
> pork butt (note - no bone) took a good bottle-and-a-half of the
> stuff. I think we'll try a different sauce next time and eventually
> maybe we'll try to make our own. I think the pan juices might have
> made it more moist in a good way.
>
> The dish was a big hit - no leftovers. Thanks again to you and to
> everyone else who responded here; we'll certainly be doing this again.
>
> -S-

Thats good then! The sauce I used is a store brand from Harris Teeter,
it's a hickory smoke sort (fake smoke obviously but nicely done and not
overwhelming). Comes off as a tangy sweet and somewhat spicy. I used
most of a 16oz bottle.

The pan juices can be used but highly suggest defatting them in the
fridge or freezer first. Sometimes I do that and used the defatted
juice for eithr a gravy or as the base for another dish. Just depends
if I got a little heavy with the vinegar.

If yours is a little vinegary, think of asian pho type noodle dishes
which can be complemented by that.

I froze off 3 containers of the pulled pork for a local guy. I'd say
about 8oz each? I was portioning it to fit some bread I made up for
him. He's had spine surgery and can't work right now. Still trying to
get unemployment to kick in. I suspect the delay is he can't look for
work right now?

Fair number of locals banded together to add little bits of help from
food to some money for rent. He needs 600$ for this month's rent or he
may be evicted. He's at 247$ now on a GoFundMe site
https://www.gofundme.com/mmfnujfw

The total goal was higher to defray some other bills and cover rent
until April which is when he thinks he may be able to get back to his
regular work. His employer seems a good sort who is holding his job for
him and it seems in 2 weeks they are going to try some part-time light
office work which will bring in the rent amount. (He's burned through
his savings in the last 3 months).

Anyways, if I seem to be making larger batches for a bit in my posts,
this is why. I'm doing bread and 6 frozen home type TV dinners a week
that he can microwave easily. Others are kicking in lunch meats and
cheeses (to match the bread) and things like that. Allows him to save
his pennies for rent.

This week he'll have blackeyed peas and ham over rice plus 2 veggies in
2 of the trays, 2 trays with some argentine shrimp over a bed of
sauteed bell peppers and mushrooms (hit a good sale) with rice and 2
veggies, and I'll think of something for 2 more trays (probably a meaty
spagetti and more veggies). Basically I'm making a bit extra of the
things we have for dinner or lunch and trying to provide some variety.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:21:44 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > We got our first slow cooker. My wife found a recipe we used -
> > > pork tenderloin, bbq sauce included in the cooking. We started
> > > with store-bought, marinated pork tenderloin.
> > >
> > > Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my
> > > taste. I am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq
> > > sauce and add that only after it's cooked.
> > >

> > Just an FYI about pork, in my mind there's no better partner than
> > beer - but you could use apple cider/juice. I wouldn't waste my
> > money on a tenderloin for the slow cooker when pork shoulder is
> > perfect for pulling. I do mine with beer only so the leftovers are
> > versatile.
> >
> > > Comments, recipe ideas, cuts of meat - all appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >

> > Everything you'd normally braise or stew is perfect for a slow
> > cooker and mine makes stock a couple of times a month.

> Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
> cooking? How much beer?
>
> -S-

Most of the beer recipes I've seen use 1 standard can/bottle to about
5-7lbs meat (pork shoulder or butt).

Quite a few of them use a dark beer. Avoid 'dry' beers like Asahi.
Guiness would be a good pick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:47:07 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
> cooking? How much beer?

Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.

Our usual pork butt progression is

1. pulled pork sandwiches
2. carnitas
3. posole

YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
to keep it versatile.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:47:07 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>> Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
>> cooking? How much beer?
>>

> Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
> evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
> Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
> for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.
>
> Our usual pork butt progression is
>
> 1. pulled pork sandwiches
> 2. carnitas
> 3. posole
>
> YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
> to keep it versatile.

Bravo posole!

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 6:50:31 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:47:07 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> >
> > Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
> > cooking? How much beer?
> >

> Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
> evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
> Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
> for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.
>
> Our usual pork butt progression is
>
> 1. pulled pork sandwiches
> 2. carnitas
> 3. posole
>
> YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
> to keep it versatile.
>

> --
>
> sf

The pork butt these days come packed with a scary amount of juice! I like how you got a plan for the different stages of slow cooked pork. I like to get the pulled pork and fry it up with garlic and give it a shot of vinegar towards the end. It's like a poor man's vinha d'alhos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 6:50:31 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:47:07 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
>>> cooking? How much beer?
>>>

>> Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
>> evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
>> Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
>> for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.
>>
>> Our usual pork butt progression is
>>
>> 1. pulled pork sandwiches
>> 2. carnitas
>> 3. posole
>>
>> YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
>> to keep it versatile.
>>

>> --
>>
>> sf

> The pork butt these days come packed with a scary amount of juice! I like how you got a plan for the different stages of slow cooked pork. I like to get the pulled pork and fry it up with garlic and give it a shot of vinegar towards the end. It's like a poor man's vinha d'alhos.

Pork is so versatile!

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 10:36:06 AM UTC-10, Lucha Libre! wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 6:50:31 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

> >> Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
> >> evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
> >> Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
> >> for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.
> >>
> >> Our usual pork butt progression is
> >>
> >> 1. pulled pork sandwiches
> >> 2. carnitas
> >> 3. posole
> >>
> >> YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
> >> to keep it versatile.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> sf

> > The pork butt these days come packed with a scary amount of juice! I like how you got a plan for the different stages of slow cooked pork. I like to get the pulled pork and fry it up with garlic and give it a shot of vinegar towards the end. It's like a poor man's vinha d'alhos.
> >

> Pork is so versatile!
>
> --
> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

Mostly, it's affordable. I've been eating my share alright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 10:36:06 AM UTC-10, Lucha Libre! wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> The pork butt these days come packed with a scary amount of juice! I like how you got a plan for the different stages of slow cooked pork. I like to get the pulled pork and fry it up with garlic and give it a shot of vinegar towards the end. It's like a poor man's vinha d'alhos.
>>>

>> Pork is so versatile!
>>
>> --
>> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

> Mostly, it's affordable. I've been eating my share alright.

That's a really important factor too, that and locally sourced too.

some old but interesting data on consumption of pork:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...ion-per-capita

1 Denmark 142.6 1997
2 Spain 123 1997
3 Hong Kong 121.9 1997
4 Germany 117 1997
5 Hungary 90.2 1997
6 Poland 83.2 1997
7 Sweden 79.4 1997
8 France 76.6 1997
9 China 75 1997
10 Singapore 69.1 1997

Group of 7 countries (G7) average 68.83 1997
11 Canada 66.2 1997
12 United States 62.8 1997
13 United Kingdom 54.3 1997
14 Australia 40 1997
15 Japan 36.1 1997
16 Russia 29 1997
17 Mexico 22.4 1997
18 Brazil 20.2 1997

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:08:28 AM UTC-10, Lucha Libre! wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> >> Pork is so versatile!
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

> > Mostly, it's affordable. I've been eating my share alright.
> >

> That's a really important factor too, that and locally sourced too.
>
> some old but interesting data on consumption of pork:
>
> http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...ion-per-capita
>
> 1 Denmark 142.6 1997
> 2 Spain 123 1997
> 3 Hong Kong 121.9 1997
> 4 Germany 117 1997
> 5 Hungary 90.2 1997
> 6 Poland 83.2 1997
> 7 Sweden 79.4 1997
> 8 France 76.6 1997
> 9 China 75 1997
> 10 Singapore 69.1 1997
>
> Group of 7 countries (G7) average 68.83 1997
> 11 Canada 66.2 1997
> 12 United States 62.8 1997
> 13 United Kingdom 54.3 1997
> 14 Australia 40 1997
> 15 Japan 36.1 1997
> 16 Russia 29 1997
> 17 Mexico 22.4 1997
> 18 Brazil 20.2 1997
>
> --
> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

My guess is that we're the #1 pork consumers in the G7 countries by now. We shall all be eating pork in paradise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Grilling is not allowed

Drop dead,woman abuser:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So **** off outta here, NOW.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:08:28 AM UTC-10, Lucha Libre! wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Mostly, it's affordable. I've been eating my share alright.
>>>

>> That's a really important factor too, that and locally sourced too.
>>
>> some old but interesting data on consumption of pork:
>>
>> http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...ion-per-capita
>>
>> 1 Denmark 142.6 1997
>> 2 Spain 123 1997
>> 3 Hong Kong 121.9 1997
>> 4 Germany 117 1997
>> 5 Hungary 90.2 1997
>> 6 Poland 83.2 1997
>> 7 Sweden 79.4 1997
>> 8 France 76.6 1997
>> 9 China 75 1997
>> 10 Singapore 69.1 1997
>>
>> Group of 7 countries (G7) average 68.83 1997
>> 11 Canada 66.2 1997
>> 12 United States 62.8 1997
>> 13 United Kingdom 54.3 1997
>> 14 Australia 40 1997
>> 15 Japan 36.1 1997
>> 16 Russia 29 1997
>> 17 Mexico 22.4 1997
>> 18 Brazil 20.2 1997
>>
>> --
>> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

> My guess is that we're the #1 pork consumers in the G7 countries by now. We shall all be eating pork in paradise.

It was worth looking to see:

https://data.oecd.org/agroutput/meat-consumption.htm

https://www.meatinstitute.org/index....Action/i/48781

Pork consumption has remained fairly stable over
the last two decades, USDA data show. Annual per
capita pork consumption reached a high of 60.5 pounds
in 1971 and a low of 42.9 pounds in 1975. In 2007, per
capita consumption was 50.5 pounds.

--
http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 12:32:57 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 6:50:31 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 08:47:07 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > Beer sounds interesting - do you put in with the meat while it's slow
> > > cooking? How much beer?
> > >

> > Shoulder/butt produces a lot of juice and there's virtually no
> > evaporation in a slow cooker, so you don't need a lot of added liquid.
> > Half a bottle at the most. Save the juices because it's a good base
> > for posole when you're using up the last bits of pork.
> >
> > Our usual pork butt progression is
> >
> > 1. pulled pork sandwiches
> > 2. carnitas
> > 3. posole
> >
> > YMMV but you may have noticed that I'm not big on leftovers, so I like
> > to keep it versatile.

> The pork butt these days come packed with a scary amount of juice! I like how you got a plan for the different stages of slow cooked pork. I like to get the pulled pork and fry it up with garlic and give it a shot of vinegar towards the end. It's like a poor man's vinha d'alhos.

I had to look up a recipe for vinha d'alhos because I'd never heard of
it. Very interesting with the red wine and vinegar. Is the vinegar
flavor very pronounced at the end? If it is, my husband won't like
it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2016 4:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 1, 2016 at 11:08:28 AM UTC-10, Lucha Libre! wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> Mostly, it's affordable. I've been eating my share alright.
>>>

>> That's a really important factor too, that and locally sourced too.
>>
>> some old but interesting data on consumption of pork:
>>
>> http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...ion-per-capita
>>
>> 1 Denmark 142.6 1997
>> 2 Spain 123 1997
>> 3 Hong Kong 121.9 1997
>> 4 Germany 117 1997
>> 5 Hungary 90.2 1997
>> 6 Poland 83.2 1997
>> 7 Sweden 79.4 1997
>> 8 France 76.6 1997
>> 9 China 75 1997
>> 10 Singapore 69.1 1997
>>
>> Group of 7 countries (G7) average 68.83 1997
>> 11 Canada 66.2 1997
>> 12 United States 62.8 1997
>> 13 United Kingdom 54.3 1997
>> 14 Australia 40 1997
>> 15 Japan 36.1 1997
>> 16 Russia 29 1997
>> 17 Mexico 22.4 1997
>> 18 Brazil 20.2 1997
>>
>> --
>> http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-conte...e-affiche1.jpg

> My guess is that we're the #1 pork consumers in the G7 countries by now. We shall all be eating pork in paradise.

That may be true per capita, but China far exceeds us in pure tonnage
with their larger population.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:51:48 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> I make no claim to what you do. I haven't even grilled since they
> >> turned it illegal here many years ago.
> >>
> >> As far as bbq (not grilled) I do consider you the expert here. I
> >> listen to what you say.

> > Grilling is illegal here? Or is it in your complex? Complexes and
> > HOAs sometimes do have rules about it. I know for the sort time we
> > lived in an apartment when we got here, we were upstairs with a wooden
> > porch so no grilling.

> Grilling is not allowed in apartments/balconies that are faced with
> wood. Gary's building is brick, cement, and iron.

You got the Virginia law right Steve but not my apartment complex.
When that law went into effect, my place took it to another level.
They just decided that no grills allowed here anymore. They even said
that any grills seen on porches would be confiscated.

"Management prohibits the use of coal, charcoal, charcoal lighter or
propane cooking appliances."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> China consumes about half

Get lost woman stalker!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So **** off outta here, NOW.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2016 10:55 AM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Grilling is illegal here? Or is it in your complex? Complexes and
>>> HOAs sometimes do have rules about it. I know for the sort time we
>>> lived in an apartment when we got here, we were upstairs with a wooden
>>> porch so no grilling.

>> Grilling is not allowed in apartments/balconies that are faced with
>> wood. Gary's building is brick, cement, and iron.

> You got the Virginia law right Steve but not my apartment complex.
> When that law went into effect, my place took it to another level.
> They just decided that no grills allowed here anymore. They even said
> that any grills seen on porches would be confiscated.
>
> "Management prohibits the use of coal, charcoal, charcoal lighter or
> propane cooking appliances."

For good reason!

Back in 1995 I lived in a second floor apartment with a wooden balcony.
I liked to sit out there and read when I got home from work. The
apartments on the ground floor had larger fenced patios. The guy who
lived below me had teenage kids who would visit.

One day their dad was still at work when they showed up. They decided
to surprise him by cooking a chicken on the grill. They lit the coals
and put the chicken on the grill. I don't know if they blasted it with
lighter fluid or what. But the kids went inside and completely forgot
about it.

Flames were shooting up under my feet! I ran downstairs with a fire
extinguisher. I had to bang on the door because they were playing music
so loud they couldn't hear me.

You nearly set the building on fire! Oh, ooops. They forgot about the
grill and the chicken (which, BTW, was a blackened lump.)

There's a reason there are laws against people having grills in
apartment complexes and small spaces.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Grilling is illegal here? Or is it in your complex? Complexes and
>>> HOAs sometimes do have rules about it. I know for the sort time we
>>> lived in an apartment when we got here, we were upstairs with a wooden
>>> porch so no grilling.

>> Grilling is not allowed in apartments/balconies that are faced with
>> wood. Gary's building is brick, cement, and iron.

> You got the Virginia law right Steve but

STOP FEEDING THE ABUSER!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Get a natural gas grill.

Climb in one and kill yourself, woman-abuser:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2015-12-30 19:21:44 +0000, Steve Freides said:

> Overall, it came out tasty enough but much too vinegary for my taste.
> I am thinking that perhaps we should cook without bbq sauce and add
> that only after it's cooked.

I concur. Scope the recipes on the net and you'll find people do it in
scads of different ways, pick a couple of ingredients you like and do
the same. I did a slow-cooked pork butt.

I scanned 4 or 5 recipes of them and noted some had fluids (broth, or
instead maybe vinegar and broth), others didn't. Some had almost
everything.

I wound up stealing from a few of them with:

Two large onions sliced thickly placed on top and on the bottom of the meat.
1 cup soy (I think I used less)
1 cup sake
1 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl Dijon
1 heaping Tbl Paprika.

7 or 8 hours later it blew our mind.

We had some barbecue sauce on the side and it was good with and without
the bbq sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > You got the Virginia law right Steve but not my apartment complex.

> You know I'm just gonna show up there out of the blue and start
> cooking there on your front lawn, or underneath your balcony in back.\

LOL! Cooking underneath my balcony...kinda like a troll underneath a
bridge?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> You know I'm just gonna show up there out of the blue

You sick stalker creep:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
off-topic subjects.

-sw