Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow cooker pulled pork???

Greetings All,
I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:37:31 -0600, Mark L >
wrote:

> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker?

Why not? Smoky essence....pick up some Liquid Smoke at your
grocer. Here are two recipes and they both sound delicious!

Crockpot Pulled Pork
From Diana Rattray

INGREDIENTS:
pork shoulder roast, about 4 pounds
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups water
1 bottle (16 ounces) barbecue sauce, or 2 cups homemade sauce
1 cup chopped onion
PREPARATION:
Place half of the thinly sliced onions in bottom of slow cooker; add
pork and water, along with remaining onion slices. Cover and cook on
LOW for 8 to 10 hours or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH heat setting. Drain
liquid from slow cooker; place meat back in cooker. Add barbecue sauce
and chopped onion. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours longer. Stir
occasionally. Serve with warm split buns and coleslaw.
Serves 8 to 10.

Spicy Crockpot Pork Barbecue
From Diana Rattray

Sauce:
1 cup thick barbecue sauce
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cans (4.5 oz each) diced green chilies
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 boneless pork shoulder roast, 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, trimmed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
PREPARATION:
Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl. Place pork in crockpot; pour
sauce mixture over the pork, lifting pork slightly so sauce will flow
under the roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until
pork is very tender. Remove pork to a cutting board and chop or shred
with forks. If sauce is very liquid, cook down on the stovetop until
desired thickness and flavor is reached. Pour sauce into a serving
bowl or leave in slow cooker; stir in the cilantro and the shredded
pork. Serve with flour tortillas or split sandwich buns.
Serves 8.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark L" > wrote in message
. ..
> Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
> pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will be
> missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after cooking,
> it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb boneless
> shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the outside temp
> is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any instructions??? Many
> thanks to all, Mark

You could add some liquid smoke.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark L wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
> pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
> be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
> cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
> boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
> outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
> instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

Easy as pie! Just lay sliced onions and a bit of sliced garlic in the
bottom of your crock pot and put a Boston butt on top. NO water, NO BBQ
sauce or anything else at that point. Cook on high for about 5-6 hours,
more if it is particularly huge. You'll know it is done when it is
falling off the bone, but try to avoid opening the crock until you
really want to check it because each time you do it slows down the
reheating greatly.
When done, lift out or drain into a collander placed over a large pot
to collect the juices. There will be plenty, trust me! While it is
cooling down a bit I wash the crock out and get it ready again. I then
hand shred the pork, pulling out any and all fat and bone. Some folks
chop it, others use forks to separate it. I am picky and like to do it
all by hand so as to get all the fat out. Dump it into the crockpot
again and then I add a mixture of Hot Wing Sauce, a mustard based bbq I
get in SC (Maurice's), and some Kansas style BBQ sauce (typical KC
Masterpiece style...but mine is homemade). I use about 1/3 of each and
not so much that that meat is so wet it is sloppy. I let it heat up and
cook again for a couple of hours then serve on nice soft rolls with some
nice coleslaw on the side or the sandwich itself.
Would be great tomorrow!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-02-03, Mark L > wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers........

They know. They just won't admit it.

Anyway, yes you can do pull pork just fine in the oven. Get a bone-in
pork shoulder and cover it with a good dry rub. Then, roast it in the
oven at about 325 deg F till you can turn the bone (3-5hrs). Good eats!

If you don't have a bone-in, roast to about 190-195 deg F internal temp.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert wrote:
> "Mark L" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Greetings All,
>> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>> pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor
>> will be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce
>> after cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I
>> have a 4lb boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But
>> right now the outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it
>> inside. Any instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

> You could add some liquid smoke.

Not the same type of smoke flavor.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark L wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers,

Why? It ain't bbq, your not calling it bbq, your not pretending it's the
same as bbq, so there is no sacrilege :-) BBq is only one method of
preparing and cooking certain meats. I love a good bbq'd spare ribs (I never
do babybacks, I don't care for 'em). But I also love a good oven-roasted rib
with sauerkraut.

> but I would like to ask if
> pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker?

Sure

> I know the smoky flavor will
> be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
> cooking, it will be good enough for now.

But since bbq ain't your goal, then differences in taste and texture are
fine. I would say that this will be a good time to experiment with
seasonings or marinades that are different from the type found for bbq. Go
after a crock-pot pulled-pork that uses flavors found in eastern european or
latin american pork dishes.

> So, basically, I have a 4lb
> boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
> outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
> instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

I would cut the shoulder into quarters, add the spices or liquids, and shoot
for an internal temp of 195F in the meat. You'll know you've reached that
temp 'cause you'll be able to easily twist a fork in the meat.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark L > wrote:
>Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
>be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
>cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
>boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
>outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
>instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

I did it earlier this week and the results were extremely tender.

I browned it first, sauteed some onions, and deglazed the pan with a
bottle of beer (which went over the meat and onions in the crock). It
cooked on low overnight.

Cut the piece in big chunks if it doesn't quite fit in your cooker. I
have a small cooker so the shoulder I got was cooked in 2 pieces.

I'm going into the kitchen and putting the leftovers in sandwich ziploc
baggies (sauced) to freeze.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks to all of you who replied so quickly. It's in the cooker now and
I can't wait to try it out. Mark

Mark L wrote:
> Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
> pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
> be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
> cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
> boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
> outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
> instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark L wrote:
> Thanks to all of you who replied so quickly. It's in the cooker now
> and I can't wait to try it out. Mark

Thanks are best expressed by not top-posting :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Greetings All,
> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
>be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
>cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
>boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
>outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
>instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

The Crockpot Pulled Pork recipe posted in another reply sounded really
good. I did something similar last year and it was delicious (although
not Arthur Bryant delicious or anything).

Where is outside, btw? I ask because it's 17 below zero here in
Minnesota with a 31 below wind chill. My grill has been in my basement
for months.

Laurie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Northern Illinois. Go BEARS!!!!!!!!

Laurie S. wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:37:31 -0600, Mark L >
> wrote:
>

>>Greetings All,
>> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>>pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
>>be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
>>cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
>>boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
>>outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
>>instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

> The Crockpot Pulled Pork recipe posted in another reply sounded really
> good. I did something similar last year and it was delicious (although
> not Arthur Bryant delicious or anything).
>
> Where is outside, btw? I ask because it's 17 below zero here in
> Minnesota with a 31 below wind chill. My grill has been in my basement
> for months.
>
> Laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:37:39 -0600, Mark L >
wrote:

>Laurie S. wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:37:31 -0600, Mark L >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings All,
>>> I admit this may be sacrilege to BBQ'ers, but I would like to ask if
>>>pulled pork can be made in a slow cooker? I know the smoky flavor will
>>>be missing, but as long as I mix it with my favorite Q sauce after
>>>cooking, it will be good enough for now. So, basically, I have a 4lb
>>>boneless shoulder that I would normally do outside. But right now the
>>>outside temp is app DAMN FREEZING, I'd rather do it inside. Any
>>>instructions??? Many thanks to all, Mark

>> The Crockpot Pulled Pork recipe posted in another reply sounded really
>> good. I did something similar last year and it was delicious (although
>> not Arthur Bryant delicious or anything).
>>
>> Where is outside, btw? I ask because it's 17 below zero here in
>> Minnesota with a 31 below wind chill. My grill has been in my basement
>> for months.

>Northern Illinois. Go BEARS!!!!!!!!

Heh. So you have a little more at stake than (most of) the rest of us
today.

How did the pulled pork turn out?

Was it for Super Bowl fare?

Laurie