Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with Beer

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:35:03 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:49:44 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> 100 *on tap*? Where's that?

>You live in sfba, I live in CO. Useta be one in Hayward. You asking me?

Heh, I *don't* do American beer nb and I certainly don't travel for
it. The only reason I mentioned England was because we were there
(not for the beer) and it turned out the beer was good.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

merryb wrote:

On Dec 30, 4:28 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> On Dec 30, 2:30 pm, "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>

> > Goomba wrote:

> > > They used to suggest using it as a hair rinse. But I don't want to try
> > > it-who wants to smell like beer??

> > Lately I've been using about a six - pack of beer per week for

> cooking...in
> > five - minute artisan bread [folx LOVE my beer bread...!!!], soups 'n

> stews
> > 'n gumbos, even used it in scalloped taters and in the mushroom and sour
> > cream gravy I made for Christmas.

> > Tomorrow I am making some cream of mushroom soup, some beer will be one

of
> > the ingredients...

> > It's indespensable for crockpot cooking...

> > I just use the cheapest swill I can find, works great, it never goes to
> > waste.

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> So for your bread, are you subbing all the water with beer? I bought
> the book last week, and am planning on doing the caraway rye tonight
> or tomorrow...Guiness would be excellent in rye...
> ------------------------
>
> GM replies:
>
> I start off with some lukewarm water for the yeast and then most of the
> added liquid is beer, I'd say about 80%...
>
> I make "cheddar onion beer bread" by adding the beer, then I add some
> shredded sharp cheddar and some dried dehy onion to the mix. Very easy,

very
> tasty...
>
> I like to add dried parsley or Italian seasoning to the mix...onion or
> garlic powder or whatever.
>
> I also sprinkle the tops of the loaves with kosher salt and sesame
> seeds...gives a nice appearance and taste. So far I've primarily been

using
> regular unbleached flour, also some oat bran and whole wheat flours...I've
> also added instant mashed taters to my dough to make "potato bread" and

have
> added oatmeal to the dough. You can experiment with all kinds of stuff,

you
> can't go wrong. You can be very sloppy with measuring ( I don't even
> measure anymore, just eyeball it) and the results will be just fine...
>
> My doughs tend to be wet and heavy, it can take more than an hour to bake

> large loaf. I start out at 500 degrees for 15 - 30 minutes and then turn

it
> down to 425 or so for the remaining time...works fine.
>
> I am going to try some rye soon...
>
> I've found that a little Guinness can go a *long* way, I've made Guinness
> Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. Let us know how
> the rye turns out...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

Thanks for all your info- I really wish I had more time in the day to
"play with my food", but you know....I like how versatile this idea
is...have you made any sweet doughs? I made Limpa the other day, and
it came out nice- the rye flour is a nice addition.
------------------

GM replies:

No sweet doughs yet, I'll look at the Limpa recipe...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message

> [...]

> it
>> down to 425 or so for the remaining time...works fine.
>>
>> I am going to try some rye soon...
>>
>> I've found that a little Guinness can go a *long* way, I've made Guinness
>> Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. Let us know how
>> the rye turns out...
>>
>> --
>> Best
>> Greg

> Thanks for all your info- I really wish I had more time in the day to
> "play with my food", but you know....I like how versatile this idea
> is...have you made any sweet doughs? I made Limpa the other day, and
> it came out nice- the rye flour is a nice addition.
> ------------------
>
> GM replies:
>
> No sweet doughs yet, I'll look at the Limpa recipe...

How do you get the salt and sesame seeds to stick to the top of the crust?
I can never get the stuff to stay on, even when I spray with my water
bottle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This beer bread is so easy and good. From
http://www.recipezaar.com/Beer-Bread-17276
Ingredients

* 3 cups self-rising flour
* 3 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 (12 ounce) can Budweiser beer

Directions

1. Combine flour and sugar, mix well, add beer and mix with
hands!
2. Batter will be sticky.
3. Mix well and pour into bread pan!
4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
5. Top will be crunchy, inside will be soft.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:42:45 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 18:35:03 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:49:44 -0800, sf wrote:
>>
>>> 100 *on tap*? Where's that?

>>You live in sfba, I live in CO. Useta be one in Hayward. You asking me?
>>

> Heh, I *don't* do American beer nb and I certainly don't travel for
> it.

My deepest apologies. I obviously misinterpreted your preveious post,
specifically, the part where you said, "Where's that". To clarify, 100 is
exactly halfway between 99 and 101.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:08:52 -0500, Tara >
wrote:

>This beer bread is so easy and good. From
>http://www.recipezaar.com/Beer-Bread-17276
>Ingredients
>
> * 3 cups self-rising flour
> * 3 tablespoons white sugar
> * 1 (12 ounce) can Budweiser beer
>
>Directions
>
> 1. Combine flour and sugar, mix well, add beer and mix with
>hands!
> 2. Batter will be sticky.
> 3. Mix well and pour into bread pan!
> 4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
> 5. Top will be crunchy, inside will be soft.

Noted and saved. Thank you!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 09:42:22 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:42:45 -0800, sf wrote:

>>>You live in sfba, I live in CO. Useta be one in Hayward. You asking me?
>>>

>> Heh, I *don't* do American beer nb and I certainly don't travel for
>> it.

>My deepest apologies. I obviously misinterpreted your preveious post,
>specifically, the part where you said, "Where's that". To clarify, 100 is
>exactly halfway between 99 and 101.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Carol

--
Change JamesBond to his agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This beer bread is so easy and good. From
>http://www.recipezaar.com/Beer-Bread-17276
>Ingredients
>
> * 3 cups self-rising flour
> * 3 tablespoons white sugar
> * 1 (12 ounce) can Budweiser beer
>
>Directions
>
> 1. Combine flour and sugar, mix well, add beer and mix with
>hands!
> 2. Batter will be sticky.
> 3. Mix well and pour into bread pan!
> 4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
> 5. Top will be crunchy, inside will be soft.

Now, that's the proper use of most American beers! I love beer bread.
The flavor changes according to which brand beer you use in it.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA wrote:

> [...]

> >> Stew that was too "Guinness - ey"..."YMMV", natcherly. Let us know how
> >> the rye turns out...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best
> >> Greg

> > Thanks for all your info- I really wish I had more time in the day to
> > "play with my food", but you know....I like how versatile this idea
> > is...have you made any sweet doughs? I made Limpa the other day, and
> > it came out nice- the rye flour is a nice addition.
> > ------------------
> >
> > GM replies:
> >
> > No sweet doughs yet, I'll look at the Limpa recipe...
> >

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg

> How do you get the salt and sesame seeds to stick to the top of the crust?
> I can never get the stuff to stay on, even when I spray with my water

My dough is pretty wet, so no probs with sticking to the top. Supposedly
you are supposed to slash the tops of these loaves which I really don't
bother with, one of the "secrets" to successful slashing of the tops is to
sprinkle some flour on the top so the slash will "hold". I tried that a few
times and failed, I actually prefer the kosher salt and sesame seeds on top.
You could also coat the tops of the loaves with butter, the salt and
whatever would probably adhere okay...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> This beer bread is so easy and good. From
> http://www.recipezaar.com/Beer-Bread-17276
> Ingredients
>
> * 3 cups self-rising flour
> * 3 tablespoons white sugar
> * 1 (12 ounce) can Budweiser beer
>
> Directions
>
> 1. Combine flour and sugar, mix well, add beer and mix with
> hands!
> 2. Batter will be sticky.
> 3. Mix well and pour into bread pan!
> 4. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
> 5. Top will be crunchy, inside will be soft.

Now *that* is about as easy a bread recipe as could be, mine is the same but
with the addition of yeast and salt, no sugar.. With the beer you could
forego the yeast...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2008, 9:37*am, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:50:58 -0800 (PST), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >I made Limpa the other day

> I adore Limpa! *Tried to make it a couple times in my yoot, but it
> never turned out like the bakery bread - which I liked better. *Not
> sure where to find it now.
>
> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

Would you like the recipe? I'd be happy to type it up for you...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:23:54 -0800 (PST), merryb >
wrote:

>On Dec 31 2008, 9:37*am, sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:50:58 -0800 (PST), merryb >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I made Limpa the other day

>> I adore Limpa! *Tried to make it a couple times in my yoot, but it
>> never turned out like the bakery bread - which I liked better. *Not
>> sure where to find it now.
>>
>> --
>> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
>> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>>
>> Mae West

>Would you like the recipe? I'd be happy to type it up for you...

Yes! Please post or email. Thanks!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:11:06 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>> It's called,
>>_Great Food Great Beer, The Anheuser-Busch Cookbook_.

>Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company, I was forced
>to redeem all my BUD stock. They are buying it all back at 70 per
>share which is a good price. Now I only hope and pray that they
>don't change the flavors of the BUD products!! After these
>hostile takeovers, they claim that everything will remain the same as
>it has been. Sure.............. How many American breweries are
>left? I don't know any longer. Does anyone remember Stroh's
>Beer out of Detroit?

I remember Stroh's. I never liked it but on tap as a kid it was
drinkable. I still like cheap beer, but Stroh's never was one for me.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking
C.D C.D is offline

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:11:06 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>>
>>> It's called,
>>>_Great Food Great Beer, The Anheuser-Busch Cookbook_.

>>Since the sale of BUD in November to the Belgium company, I was forced
>>to redeem all my BUD stock. They are buying it all back at 70 per
>>share which is a good price. Now I only hope and pray that they
>>don't change the flavors of the BUD products!! After these
>>hostile takeovers, they claim that everything will remain the same as
>>it has been. Sure.............. How many American breweries are
>>left? I don't know any longer. Does anyone remember Stroh's
>>Beer out of Detroit?

> I remember Stroh's. I never liked it but on tap as a kid it was
> drinkable. I still like cheap beer, but Stroh's never was one for me.
>
> Lou

strohs made a beer called goebles. cheap, cheap beer.

--
C.D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:31:48 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

> >it has been. Sure.............. How many American breweries are
> >left? I don't know any longer. Does anyone remember Stroh's
> >Beer out of Detroit?

> I remember Stroh's. I never liked it but on tap as a kid it was
> drinkable. I still like cheap beer, but Stroh's never was one for me.

Beer history in the US is interesting to me. When I was a kid, any town
of any size had a brewery, or several. I suspect it just didn't keep.
I don't think they pasteurized back then, and refrigerated train cars
and trucks were still new. Gradually, there were fewer and fewer
breweries. Now the little ones are coming back, as some people tire of
the mediocre beer produced by the giants.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 16:32:31 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>Beer history in the US is interesting to me. When I was a kid, any town
>of any size had a brewery, or several. I suspect it just didn't keep.
>I don't think they pasteurized back then, and refrigerated train cars
>and trucks were still new. Gradually, there were fewer and fewer
>breweries. Now the little ones are coming back, as some people tire of
>the mediocre beer produced by the giants.

Did you grow up near Hopland, CA?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 16:32:31 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >Beer history in the US is interesting to me. When I was a kid, any town
> >of any size had a brewery, or several. I suspect it just didn't keep.
> >I don't think they pasteurized back then, and refrigerated train cars
> >and trucks were still new. Gradually, there were fewer and fewer
> >breweries. Now the little ones are coming back, as some people tire of
> >the mediocre beer produced by the giants.

> Did you grow up near Hopland, CA?

No. Spokane, Washington. I never set foot in California until after
college.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA