Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lass Chance_2 Lass Chance_2 is offline

Default Anyone got a non-BBQ pulled pork recipe for a slow cooker?

For the Puerto Rican/Carribbean kind of pork, you really need to roast
it low and slow, say 250-300 degrees for several hours, until it "pulls
apart", in the oven, covered with foil. A cup or so of water in the pan
is enough.

The day BEFORE you cook it, season it with a mix of equal parts coarse
ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder. Make a stab every couple
of inches in the pork butt, about an inch to and inch and a hhalf deep
and stuff each gash with the mix. Rub any remaining mix all over the
roast, cover with plastic and store in the fridge. 12 hours will do, 24
is better. Adding cumin to the seasoning mix is up to you.

IF you want to use the slow cooker, it's a whole different thing,
because the pork will be cooked in liquid, rather than dry, so it's
harder to get the seasonings INTO the meat. All you can really do is
season the cooking liquid.

I make pulled pork for BBQ all the time---in my slow cooker. I just
toss in the butt, add water to 1/3 below the top edge of the roast, add
a palm full of salt and another of black peppecorns---and a CUP of
garlic powder.

It isnt BBQ until the pork is done and I add the BBQ sauce. So, if you
dont want BBQ, just leave off the sauce. You will have a garlicy,
tender pork ready for pulling.

Either method, dry roasted or slow cooker will give you an excellent
"Cuban sandwich" pork.

Lass