Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OK, Chicken Cordon Bleu

I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles
w/ a slice of american.

It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
overpower the ham.

Please advise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:
> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles
> w/ a slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
> overpower the ham.
>
> Please advise.

As far as I know, chicken cordon bleu, at least in America, is made with
chicken, swiss cheese and ham.

This is how I make mine:

I always butterfly the chicken breast, pound the chicken breast flat, place
swiss cheese on both halves of the breast, then add my ham on top of the
cheese. I fold the breast over, coat the whole thing in flour, dredge it in
egg, and then press it into seasoned breadcrumbs. Saute' in olive oil and a
little bit of butter.

Sometimes, I make a swiss cheese-bourbon sauce to go over the chicken and
sometimes I just serve it plain. In any case, I've never had a person say
that the way I make my chicken cordon bleu was inedible - I've actually made
it for the head chef of a prestigious restaurant on Maui who claimed it
tender, juicy and delicious; gosh was I nervous at that serving! Yikes!

In any case, this is how I do it and it works for me! (Oh, and if you put
the cheese down *after* the ham, it tends to seep out during the saute'.
Don't ask me how I know this.)

Hope this helps!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan S." > wrote in message
>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.

Use bacon! Mmmm! Bacon and bleu cheese go together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini explained :
> Dan S. wrote:
>> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles
>> w/ a slice of american.
>>
>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
>> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
>> overpower the ham.
>>
>> Please advise.

> As far as I know, chicken cordon bleu, at least in America, is made with
> chicken, swiss cheese and ham.
>
> This is how I make mine:
>
> I always butterfly the chicken breast, pound the chicken breast flat, place
> swiss cheese on both halves of the breast, then add my ham on top of the
> cheese. I fold the breast over, coat the whole thing in flour, dredge it in
> egg, and then press it into seasoned breadcrumbs. Saute' in olive oil and a
> little bit of butter.
>
> Sometimes, I make a swiss cheese-bourbon sauce to go over the chicken and
> sometimes I just serve it plain. In any case, I've never had a person say
> that the way I make my chicken cordon bleu was inedible - I've actually made
> it for the head chef of a prestigious restaurant on Maui who claimed it
> tender, juicy and delicious; gosh was I nervous at that serving! Yikes!
>
> In any case, this is how I do it and it works for me! (Oh, and if you put
> the cheese down *after* the ham, it tends to seep out during the saute'.
> Don't ask me how I know this.)
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> kili

I almost did that, except I wish I would have thought to butterfly
them. I just pounded the whole breast thin b/t saran wrap and used
toothpicks to hold them together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat explained :
> "Dan S." > wrote in message
>>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>> slice of american.
>>
>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
>> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.
>>

> Use bacon! Mmmm! Bacon and bleu cheese go together.

That sounds good. If anyone speaks French, why do they call it "bleu"
if it doesn't get bleu cheese?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan S." > wrote in message
>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.
>
> Please advise.

Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:

> cybercat explained :
>> "Dan S." > wrote in message
>>>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>>> slice of american.
>>>
>>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
>>> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.
>>>

>> Use bacon! Mmmm! Bacon and bleu cheese go together.

> That sounds good. If anyone speaks French, why do they call it "bleu"
> if it doesn't get bleu cheese?

I don't speak French, but "cordon bleu" means "blue ribbon", not "cheese
that is blue". The dish is named after an award.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote on 6/30/2008 :
> "Dan S." > wrote in message
>>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>> slice of american.
>>
>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
>> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.
>>
>> Please advise.

> Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

Army recipe, I'm pretty sure. That's how I've always made it. Half
slice swiss, half slice american, half slice ham. Roll, toothpick,
flour, egg, bread crumbs, brown, finish in the oven. Of course, I
finish in the pan at home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:24:50 -0400, Dan S.
> wrote:

>Dimitri wrote on 6/30/2008
>>

>> Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

>Army recipe, I'm pretty sure. That's how I've always made it. Half
>slice swiss, half slice american, half slice ham. Roll, toothpick,
>flour, egg, bread crumbs, brown, finish in the oven. Of course, I
>finish in the pan at home.

That's an ARMY recipe? Now we'll be hearing all about how the Navy
does it differently.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:24:50 -0400, Dan S.
> > wrote:
>
> >Dimitri wrote on 6/30/2008
> >>

> >> Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

> >Army recipe, I'm pretty sure. That's how I've always made it. Half
> >slice swiss, half slice american, half slice ham. Roll, toothpick,
> >flour, egg, bread crumbs, brown, finish in the oven. Of course, I
> >finish in the pan at home.
> >

> That's an ARMY recipe? Now we'll be hearing all about how the Navy
> does it differently.

First they get the chicken drunk on grog and then bugger it...

;-p

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:

> That sounds good. If anyone speaks French, why do they call it "bleu"
> if it doesn't get bleu cheese?

Cordon Bleu means "blue ribbon"
I believe it is named after the cooking school, not cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Dan S. wrote:
>

>> That sounds good. If anyone speaks French, why do they call it "bleu"
>> if it doesn't get bleu cheese?

> Cordon Bleu means "blue ribbon"
> I believe it is named after the cooking school, not cheese.

I suspect they borrowed the term.

cordon bleu

1. a first-rate cook, or one worthy to be the cook of the
cordons bleus, or Knights of the Holy Ghost, a
distinguished order of French knights, famous for their
good dinners.

2. the blue ribbon worn by the Knights of the Holy Ghost.

3. [one entitled to wear the cordon bleu[2].] a person of
high distinction.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:

> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese
> crumbles w/ a slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
> overpower the ham.

I once had a dish at an Italian restaurant that was somewhat like
Cordon Bleu (they didn't call it that so don't anyone get riled up). It
had chicken breast pounded out, but skin on. It was rolled up with
proscuitto and some sort of Italian cheese, maybe provolone. Then it
was grilled and probably finished in the oven so the skin outside was
crispy. It was served with a bit of tomato sauce. Very good.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 7:19 pm, Dan S.
> wrote:
> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles
> w/ a slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
> overpower the ham.
>
> Please advise.

I think you should name it after yourself (Dan's Chicken Cordon Bleu)
if you're going to go with the wrong cheese.....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan S. wrote:
> cybercat explained :
>
>> "Dan S." > wrote in
>> message ...
>>
>>> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese
>>> crumbles w/ a slice of american.
>>>
>>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
>>> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
>>> overpower the ham.
>>>

>> Use bacon! Mmmm! Bacon and bleu cheese go together.

> That sounds good. If anyone speaks French, why do they call it "bleu"
> if it doesn't get bleu cheese?

Well....it dont have any 'cordons' in it either

Though you could, i suppose serve it with a blue ribbon.

--
Joseph Littleshoes

"The two main political parties ruled alternately as if by tacit
agreement. Politically they were practically indistinguishable (one
perhaps a shade more liberal) but in both camps supporters were more
swayed by personalities than by issues. Both parties were heavily
dependent on the large industrial conglomerates. Corruption was
widespread, the conglomerates dictated economic policy, and with few
outstanding exceptions, politicians' reputations were low."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:05:35 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Dan S." > wrote in message
>>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/ a
>>slice of american.
>>
>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and american
>> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the ham.
>>
>> Please advise.

>Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

swiss and american mommies.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:05:35 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dan S." > wrote in message
.. .
>>>I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles w/
>>>slice of american.
>>>
>>> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
>>> american
>>> were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of overpower the
>>> ham.
>>>
>>> Please advise.

>>Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

> swiss and american mommies.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Or COWS!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:05:35 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Dan S." > wrote in message
. ..

>>>Where the hell did Swiss & AMERICAN come from?

>> swiss and american mommies.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Or COWS!

Time for my favorite bovine photo (not mine) again!

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/moo2.jpg

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:02:27 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>> Or COWS!

>Time for my favorite bovine photo (not mine) again!
>
>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/moo2.jpg

No wonder the cows are all so happy!!!

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:02:27 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>>> Or COWS!

>>Time for my favorite bovine photo (not mine) again!
>>
>>http://blinkynet.net/stuff/moo2.jpg

> No wonder the cows are all so happy!!!

There just may have been something to Carnations's "contented cows" claim.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 1, 10:00*am, "Default User" > wrote:
> Dan S. wrote:
> > I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese
> > crumbles w/ a slice of american.

> > It wasn't bad. *I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
> > american were doing it wrong. *But, the bleu cheese did kind of
> > overpower the ham.

> I once had a dish at an Italian restaurant that was somewhat like
> Cordon Bleu (they didn't call it that so don't anyone get riled up). It
> had chicken breast pounded out, but skin on. It was rolled up with
> proscuitto and some sort of Italian cheese, maybe provolone. Then it
> was grilled and probably finished in the oven so the skin outside was
> crispy. It was served with a bit of tomato sauce. Very good.
>
> Brian
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)

Mmmmm- I've had that, too- it was delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Time for my favorite bovine photo (not mine) again!
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/moo2.jpg

ROTFLOL!!!

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
merryb > wrote:

> On Jul 1, 10:00*am, "Default User" > wrote:

> > I once had a dish at an Italian restaurant that was somewhat like
> > Cordon Bleu (they didn't call it that so don't anyone get riled up). It
> > had chicken breast pounded out, but skin on. It was rolled up with
> > proscuitto and some sort of Italian cheese, maybe provolone. Then it
> > was grilled and probably finished in the oven so the skin outside was
> > crispy. It was served with a bit of tomato sauce. Very good.

> Mmmmm- I've had that, too- it was delicious!

Chicken Saltimbocca?

Here's one recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken...ca/Detail.aspx

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article
> >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 1, 10:00 am, "Default User" > wrote:

> > > I once had a dish at an Italian restaurant that was somewhat like
> > > Cordon Bleu (they didn't call it that so don't anyone get riled
> > > up). It had chicken breast pounded out, but skin on. It was
> > > rolled up with proscuitto and some sort of Italian cheese, maybe
> > > provolone. Then it was grilled and probably finished in the oven
> > > so the skin outside was crispy. It was served with a bit of
> > > tomato sauce. Very good.

> > Mmmmm- I've had that, too- it was delicious!

> Chicken Saltimbocca?

It was so long ago that I don't recall the name. It's quite possibly
that it was a version of that.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:02:03 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article
>,
> merryb > wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 10:00*am, "Default User" > wrote:

>> > I once had a dish at an Italian restaurant that was somewhat like
>> > Cordon Bleu (they didn't call it that so don't anyone get riled up). It
>> > had chicken breast pounded out, but skin on. It was rolled up with
>> > proscuitto and some sort of Italian cheese, maybe provolone. Then it
>> > was grilled and probably finished in the oven so the skin outside was
>> > crispy. It was served with a bit of tomato sauce. Very good.

>> Mmmmm- I've had that, too- it was delicious!

>Chicken Saltimbocca?
>
>Here's one recipe:
>
>http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken...ca/Detail.aspx

That's simple enough. I would do it if I could substitute ham for
prosciutto (blech, I hate that stuff). Heck, I'll throw caution to
the wind and do it anyway. LOL! Also, the additional comments seem
to make it a lot more appetizing. It screams for a gravy or sauce.
I'm still having trouble with cheese on top instead of rolled inside
with the ham/prosciutto.

Anyway, as one comment said.... it's a good starting point.

Mae West

One Dish Chicken Cordon Bleu Tim Recipes 0 28-08-2005 09:02 PM
Need help with Chicken Cordon Bleu Library Curator General Cooking 4 21-04-2005 09:01 PM
Chicken Cordon Bleu Hahabogus Diabetic 0 19-10-2004 10:28 AM
Chicken Cordon Bleu ron g Recipes (moderated) 0 27-03-2004 01:49 PM
Chicken cordon-bleu?? Dr Pepper Historic 1 29-09-2003 10:30 PM