Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini kilikini is offline

Default OK, Chicken Cordon Bleu

Dan S. wrote:
> I made it today with some chix breasts and I used bleu cheese crumbles
> w/ a slice of american.
>
> It wasn't bad. I'd always assumed that people who used swiss and
> american were doing it wrong. But, the bleu cheese did kind of
> overpower the ham.
>
> Please advise.

As far as I know, chicken cordon bleu, at least in America, is made with
chicken, swiss cheese and ham.

This is how I make mine:

I always butterfly the chicken breast, pound the chicken breast flat, place
swiss cheese on both halves of the breast, then add my ham on top of the
cheese. I fold the breast over, coat the whole thing in flour, dredge it in
egg, and then press it into seasoned breadcrumbs. Saute' in olive oil and a
little bit of butter.

Sometimes, I make a swiss cheese-bourbon sauce to go over the chicken and
sometimes I just serve it plain. In any case, I've never had a person say
that the way I make my chicken cordon bleu was inedible - I've actually made
it for the head chef of a prestigious restaurant on Maui who claimed it
tender, juicy and delicious; gosh was I nervous at that serving! Yikes!

In any case, this is how I do it and it works for me! (Oh, and if you put
the cheese down *after* the ham, it tends to seep out during the saute'.
Don't ask me how I know this.)

Hope this helps!

kili