Old 26-10-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jasmine rice

For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

Old 26-10-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" wrote:
For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
that's the problem?

In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

Old 26-10-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

aem wrote:

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" wrote:
[...]

Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
variables.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Old 26-10-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote in message
aem wrote:

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" wrote:
[...]

Same here for jasmine. 1:1.25.
Dee Dee

Old 26-10-2007, 12:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 19:21:32 -0400, elaine wrote:

For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
like I would basmati. Is that the problem?

Nope.

Some jasmine requires less water. My current batch is 1.6 cups
water to 1 cup rice.

I use 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. Boil the water, add the rice then put the
heat way, way down. Leave for about 25 minutes. Basmati is always
perfectly fluffy but the jasmine turns out soggy. Sounds like I'm using too
much water. Thanks. e.

Old 26-10-2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I use it all the time. It's my default rice.
I cook it exactly the same way I used to cook
regular, plain old long grain rice. If I were
still cooking it on the stove I would put 1 cup of
rice in the pot, add 2 cups of water, salt, butter
(optional), then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer,
put the lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes, exactly.
Perfect every time.

Nowadays I do it in the microwave and do almost
exactly the same thing - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water
(or often 2 cups rice, 3 1/2 cups water), salt,
butter (optional), but I put it in my 2 qt. round
pyrex casserole, put a double layer of paper towels
over the casserole then put on the lid (paper towels
keep the water from boiling over into the microwave),
and put it into the microwave for 15 minutes (20 minutes
for larger portion) on high. Perfect every time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 26-10-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

aem wrote:

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" wrote:

[...]

I have not found this to be the case with the rice
I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

Kate

Old 26-10-2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

I have not found this to be the case with the rice
I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"

I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.

We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Old 26-10-2007, 04:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I
cook it like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have cooking instructions.
The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20 minutes, the water to rice ratio was
listed. Generally 10 minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What does
yours say?

Jill

Old 26-10-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
Sky wrote:

aem wrote:

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" wrote:

[...]

This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for 35
years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do soak
it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
(Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

Dee Dee

Old 26-10-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" wrote in message
Kate Connally wrote:

[...]

What I say is not a criticism of your method. Sarah Molten, who has been on
foodnetwork for many years and I believe she was and maybe still is the
editor of Gourmet or BonApetit magazine, says that she never learned to make
rice so she just puts a pot of water to boil and puts the rice in, then
strains it.

Obviously this method works, and it is one that could be used if one wants.

Just thought you'd like to know that your method is used by one of the top
chefs.

Dee Dee

Old 26-10-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:55:19 -0500:

j elaine wrote:
?? For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine
?? rice. I cook it like I would basmati. Is that the
?? problem? e.

j I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have
j cooking instructions. The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20
j minutes, the water to rice ratio was listed. Generally 10
j minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What does yours
j say?

I never look at the instructions on rice packages (apart from
wild rice) but my automatic cooker: 1 rice: 1 1/2 water works
well even for jasmine rice.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 26-10-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
elaine wrote:
For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I
cook it like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I've never encountered a bag of rice that didn't have cooking
instructions.
The bag of jasmine rice I had said 20 minutes, the water to rice ratio was
listed. Generally 10 minutes uncovered then 10 minutes covered. What
does
yours say?

Jill

I just checked. The rice came in a burlap bag with no instructions.
Probably imported from Jasmania or India where they know how to cook it
e.

Old 29-10-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

Kate Connally wrote:

[...]

My Jasmine rice is not parboiled. I buy it in 10-lb. bags at
the Asian grocery. Neither is the regular rice I used before
I started using Jasmine all the time. (I have seen and used
parboild rice on occasion but 99.oo% of the time used regular
rice.) I have never seen any instructions on any of the packaging
for a 6-1 ratio of water to rice. I have on occasion used basmati
rice and I treat it exactly like plain long-grain or jasmine rice
and it comes out fine.

And I would never use the complicated procedure you use. I guess
if you want to do it, that's fine, but I don't think all that
is necessary at all, for any kind of rice. I would never do that
much work just to make rice. My rice is always perfect, just
al dente, not over- or under-cooked, nice separate grains, etc.

Kate