Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee.Dee Dee.Dee is offline

Default jasmine rice

> wrote in message ...
> Dee Dee > wrote:
>
>> This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for
>> 35
>> years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
>> others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

>> I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do
>> soak
>> it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
>> (Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

> I use 1:1.5 rice:water when cooking rice. Doesn't matter what type.
> Seems to work for me. The hard red rice I got recently at the big
> Green Festival in DC takes almost twice as long to cook, but comes
> out fine. Jasmine is my favorite and staple rice in my kitchen.
> 15 minutes of simmering, 10 minutes sitting covered after that, and
> it fluffs up nicely. Just right, at least for me.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I like the hard red rice, too. But it's been so long, I can't recall what I
did. I recall though I got the recipe out of a Singapore book I bought on
the spur of the moment while in Singapore. I had never heard of it before
then.

There is not much difference between the amount of water that I use. For
those who are wondering how much to use; I guess Bill's and my answers are
good.

Jasmine is fabulous, I'll definitely agree. Can't go wrong.

Dee Dee