Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default jasmine rice

elaine wrote:

> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

I use it all the time. It's my default rice.
I cook it exactly the same way I used to cook
regular, plain old long grain rice. If I were
still cooking it on the stove I would put 1 cup of
rice in the pot, add 2 cups of water, salt, butter
(optional), then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer,
put the lid on the pot and cook for 20 minutes, exactly.
Perfect every time.

Nowadays I do it in the microwave and do almost
exactly the same thing - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water
(or often 2 cups rice, 3 1/2 cups water), salt,
butter (optional), but I put it in my 2 qt. round
pyrex casserole, put a double layer of paper towels
over the casserole then put on the lid (paper towels
keep the water from boiling over into the microwave),
and put it into the microwave for 15 minutes (20 minutes
for larger portion) on high. Perfect every time.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”