Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default jasmine rice

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>

>> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
>> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
>> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
>> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.

> Heh. The basmati rice I buy here (RSA) needs to be soaked in cold water
> for about 15 minutes, rinsed, then boiled for ten. (The rice:water ratio
> is 1 cup rice to 6 cups water for the "boiling" part). Then I drain the
> water from the rice using a sieve, rinse it again, and put it back in
> the pot with a tight fitting lid and let it "steam" for about another 20
> minutes on very low heat. It turns out just fine. Nice and "fluffy"
>
> I cook jasmine rice exactly the same way, (and the instructions on the
> package do say to use 1 cup rice to 6 water) and it's OK too.
>
> We do get "par boiled" long grain white rice that can be done by adding
> the rice to cold water in the pot, bring to the boil, then simmer until
> the water is "absorbed" (about 25 minutes) That rice/water ratio is
> lower tho'. 1 cup rice to 2 and half cups water...

My Jasmine rice is not parboiled. I buy it in 10-lb. bags at
the Asian grocery. Neither is the regular rice I used before
I started using Jasmine all the time. (I have seen and used
parboild rice on occasion but 99.oo% of the time used regular
rice.) I have never seen any instructions on any of the packaging
for a 6-1 ratio of water to rice. I have on occasion used basmati
rice and I treat it exactly like plain long-grain or jasmine rice
and it comes out fine.

And I would never use the complicated procedure you use. I guess
if you want to do it, that's fine, but I don't think all that
is necessary at all, for any kind of rice. I would never do that
much work just to make rice. My rice is always perfect, just
al dente, not over- or under-cooked, nice separate grains, etc.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”