Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jasmine rice?

I am almost out and I was planning on picking some up at Trader Joe's
this weekend. I happened upon an asian grocery unexpectedly and figured,
I'd be able to get some there. They only had "organic" jasmine rice. It
was $12 for a five pound bag. What the??? Nevermind.

Later the same day I was in a local grocery store and I decided to check
the price there. $7 for a five pound bag. I still thought it was kind of
on the high side.

We don't eat a lot of rice, but I like to keep different kinds around
(brown, sticky, and jasmine).

What do you pay for jasmine rice? I live in the Boston area and
everything tends to be more expensive here.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 26, 8:26*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> I am almost out and I was planning on picking some up at Trader Joe's
> this weekend. I happened upon an asian grocery unexpectedly and figured,
> I'd be able to get some there. They only had "organic" jasmine rice. It
> was $12 for a five pound bag. What the??? Nevermind.
>
> Later the same day I was in a local grocery store and I decided to check
> the price there. $7 for a five pound bag. I still thought it was kind of
> on the high side.
>
> We don't eat a lot of rice, but I like to keep different kinds around
> (brown, sticky, and jasmine).
>
> What do you pay for jasmine rice? I live in the Boston area and
> everything tends to be more expensive here.
>
> Tracy

I almost never buy it unless the cuisine/recipe demands it, but when I
bought rice yesterday, the bag of jasmine (3 to 4 lbs at least) was
less than three bucks and the Uncle Ben's was $4.09 for a 2 lb box.
I've been using Uncle Ben's because I prefer the taste and texture
and the fact that the grains are moist and separate not soggy and
sticky.
Lynn in Fargo
PS: that was in the supermarket not any of the Asian/Ethnic stores
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
>I am almost out and I was planning on picking some up at Trader Joe's this
>weekend. I happened upon an asian grocery unexpectedly and figured, I'd be
>able to get some there. They only had "organic" jasmine rice. It was $12
>for a five pound bag. What the??? Nevermind.
>
> Later the same day I was in a local grocery store and I decided to check
> the price there. $7 for a five pound bag. I still thought it was kind of
> on the high side.
>
> We don't eat a lot of rice, but I like to keep different kinds around
> (brown, sticky, and jasmine).
>
> What do you pay for jasmine rice? I live in the Boston area and everything
> tends to be more expensive here.
>
> Tracy

Jasmine rice is very fragrant while cooking but I never noticed much of a
taste difference from plain long grain white rice. I did get a 10 lb. bag
of it for $5 at a little store when I lived in Tennessee, but that's because
it was delivered by mistake. They didn't know how to price it. LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 21:26:25 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>I am almost out and I was planning on picking some up at Trader Joe's
>this weekend. I happened upon an asian grocery unexpectedly and figured,
>I'd be able to get some there. They only had "organic" jasmine rice. It
>was $12 for a five pound bag. What the??? Nevermind.
>
>Later the same day I was in a local grocery store and I decided to check
>the price there. $7 for a five pound bag. I still thought it was kind of
>on the high side.
>
>We don't eat a lot of rice, but I like to keep different kinds around
>(brown, sticky, and jasmine).
>
>What do you pay for jasmine rice? I live in the Boston area and
>everything tends to be more expensive here.
>
>Tracy

Probably costs less to buy on line, no traveling from store to store
and shipping is often free:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_3_...prefix=jasmine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" wrote
..
>I am almost out and I was planning on picking some up at Trader Joe's this
>weekend. I happened upon an asian grocery unexpectedly and figured, I'd be
>able to get some there. They only had "organic" jasmine rice. It was $12
>for a five pound bag. What the??? Nevermind.

Grin, some of the stuff at the local Asian grocery here is pretty pricy too
but it's a specialty rice if so. Like, there's a lovely japan import set
for making candies and things. I pay 20$ for a 2 kg bag of it. It cost
about the same in Japan when we lived there (store markup). It lasts a long
time.

> Later the same day I was in a local grocery store and I decided to check
> the price there. $7 for a five pound bag. I still thought it was kind of
> on the high side.

Depending on the type (true India version for example which has more aroma)
that might be a decent rate for Boston.

> We don't eat a lot of rice, but I like to keep different kinds around
> (brown, sticky, and jasmine).

Me too, except the browns. My family refuses to eat them. They dislike the
nutty flavor it adds.

Common he sweet glutenous for sushi, basmati (often have Texas and India
versions), jasmine (Thai and American versions), calrose medium (USA
versions), sweet candy rice, and rice flour ;-). Often I have all of those
in stock at once.

> What do you pay for jasmine rice? I live in the Boston area and everything
> tends to be more expensive here.

USA jasmines, about 2.50 for a 5 lb bag. 5-6$ for 2 kg bags of Thai.

Jasmine rice question Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 26-06-2015 09:35 PM
Chilli Chicken With Jasmine Rice James Lanka Recipes (moderated) 0 14-12-2008 01:09 AM
jasmine rice elaine General Cooking 21 30-10-2007 05:56 PM
Mango Curry Brilliance with Prawns and Jasmine Rice International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 28-03-2005 04:06 AM