Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default jasmine rice

On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
that's the problem?

In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
covered. Fluff and serve. -aem