Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default jasmine rice

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Sky wrote:
>
>> aem wrote:

>>>Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
>>>that's the problem?
>>>
>>>In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
>>>of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
>>>didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
>>>soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
>>>a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
>>>to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
>>>rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
>>>slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
>>>holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
>>>cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
>>>Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
>>>covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

>> Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
>> say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
>> takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
>> Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
>> of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
>> YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
>> variables.

> I have not found this to be the case with the rice
> I make. I use the exact same proportions as regular
> long grain rice - 1 cup rice to 2 cups water, 2 cups
> rice to 3 1/2 cupts water, etc.
>
> Kate

This is the reason I usually don't say the ratio I use and have used for 35
years now, because everytime I do say what I use, there are dozens of
others that use 1:2. So, I must be doing something wrong, heh ;-))

I use 1:1.25 for every rice I make. However, when I make basmati, I do soak
it for 30 minutes, and let it drain for 30 minutes before cooking.
(Sometimes I do this with cheaper Tex-mex grains.)

Dee Dee