Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default jasmine rice

Kate Connally wrote:

> I just noticed you're in South Africa. Maybe the rice you
> get down there is a lot different from the rice we get here
> in the US, but I find it hard to believe that it would be all
> that different. I mean rice is rice. There's not much you can
> do to it to change it much. All long grain rices (basmati, jasmine,
> other) are pretty much the same and should cook pretty much the same.
> Want to send me some South African basmati rice and I'll see what
> happens when I cook it here? ;-)
> Kate

Heh. And I suppose you expect me to pay for the postage of 2kgs of rice
too. Hmph! <Cathy winks at Kate>

Anyway, here's what they say on their website...

http://www.tastic.co.za/Recipes/ROW-Recipes-index.htm

Cooking instructions for Tastic Jasmine Rice
Follow the recommended method for perfect fragrant Thai rice every time.

Stove:
For separate rice:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) Tastic Jasmine Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Drain well. Bring 1½ litres (6 cups) of water to boil together with 3-5
ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt. Add the rice. Boil uncovered for 12 – 14
minutes. Drain water and steam on low heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Serve.
For clingy rice:
Follow cooking instructions above, but boil for a further 3 – 5 minutes
to required consistency. Clinginess increases with boiling time.

Microwave:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) Tastic Jasmine Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Drain well. Place 1½ litres (6 cups) of water in a large microwave dish.
Bring to boil, add 3 – 5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt and drained rice. Cook
on high for 14-16 minutes. Transfer cooked rice into a sieve or colander
and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Available in the rice aisle.

A cup of raw Tastic Jasmine Rice provides 4 – 6 aromatic servings of
slightly sticky, fragrant rice.

Cooking instructions for Tastic Basmati Rice
Follow the recommended method for perfect rice every time.

Stove:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) of Tastic Basmati Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Wash under cold water until water runs clear and then drain well. Bring
500 ml – 1 litre (2 – 4 cups) of water and 3-5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) of
salt to boil. Add the rice. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
For a softer rice, add more water and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse under cold running water. Return rice to a saucepan and
cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook on very low heat for 5 – 10
minutes. Transfer to a sieve or colander and allow to stand for 5
minutes before serving.

Microwave:
Soak 250 ml (1 cup) of Tastic Basmati Rice in cold water for 15 minutes.
Wash under cold water until water runs clear and then drain well. Place
500 ml – 1liter (2 – 4 cups) water in a large microwave dish. Bring to
boil, add 3-5 ml (½ – 1 teaspoon) salt and rice. Cook on high for 14 –
16 minutes. Transfer cooked rice to a sieve or colander and allow to
stand for 5 minutes before serving

Available in the rice aisle.

A cup of raw Tastic Basmati Rice provides 4 – 6 fragrant servings of
delicious rice with and superb flavour and texture.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who usually does the RTFM thing when in doubt...

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible