Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default jasmine rice

aem wrote:

> On Oct 25, 4:21 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> > For some reason I have had terrible results with jasmine rice. I cook it
> > like I would basmati. Is that the problem? e.

> Care to tell us how you cook basmati? Otherwise, how do we know if
> that's the problem?
>
> In the meantime, assuming a pot on the stove, it may just be a matter
> of adjusting the amount of water to that particular crop of rice. You
> didn't say in what way your results were terrible. Was it too soft/
> soggy? Use less water. Was it dry and uncooked? Use more water. As
> a rule of thumb with jasmine rice I start with a ratio of 1:1.25 rice
> to water and adjust later pots to compensate for results. Wash the
> rice, add the water, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it boil
> slowly uncovered for a few minutes until the rice has numerous steam
> holes and the water level is about at the level of the rice. Now
> cover, reduce heat to the lowest and cook for about 17 minutes.
> Remove entirely from any heat, let sit another 5 to 10 minutes,
> covered. Fluff and serve. -aem

Same here. What ratio of water to rice has the OP used other than to
say "cook it like I would basmati"? I've noticed that jasmine rice
takes less water than regular rice (just don't think Uncle Ben's!).
Although, the directions I've seen for jasmine rice are more like 1:1.5
of rice to water, and I do agree the 1:1.25 ratio works much better.
YMWV (your milage will vary) most definitely, depending on too many
variables.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice