Old 15-07-2007, 07:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How much $ do chefs make?

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

--
Cite your sources.
I'm not interested in your opinion.

Old 15-07-2007, 09:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 8:18 pm, Steve Wertz wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:
Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

3 5 and 8

-sw

******BINGO

Old 15-07-2007, 10:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

3 5 and 8

I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
California Culinary Academy.
http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
community college.

sous chef - (GIYF - zippy)
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...S08000075.html

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Old 15-07-2007, 11:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 2:52 am, "Zippy P" wrote:
Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

--
Cite your sources.
I'm not interested in your opinion.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old 15-07-2007, 12:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes

Are you an AVERAGE chef? Become exceptional...since an average chef
will make what you are worth. New York....Atlanta,.....will be
paying much more than Souix City....but the cost of living will mean
you take home the same amount of money. Why do you want to work
19 hours a day? Look for under 25,000.

Old 15-07-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Zippy P" wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.
Old 15-07-2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zippy PooperScooper" wrote:
Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Why do you care... if you have to ask it means you're not even
qualified for ice cream scooper.

Sheldon

Old 15-07-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

3 5 and 8

-sw

You forgot to specify the +/-20% regional adjustment...
Old 15-07-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly
high-quality restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain
restaurant but a good, quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

3 5 and 8

I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
California Culinary Academy.
http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
community college.

At our local community college the classes in their culinary arts program
cost $100 per credit hour, with most classes being 3-4 hours each. So
you're looking at $300-400 per class and of course many classes are required
to complete the program.

Jill

Old 15-07-2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

There really is no reason to complete the program if it includes classes
of no interest at all. Safety is a must but is included in almost all
classes. There's a lot of repetition, too.

I skipped Medieval cooking because I didn't really want to cook for old
dead people. I also skipped cucina rapida because I didn't want to end
up cooking that. If I were shooting for a restaurant job it might be
different, but even so you'd probably have a type of restaurant in mind.

During the safety portions of classes the chef would go on and on about
how important (and it is) that food stay within a certain span of
temperatures. I was the only one in the room with a thermometer and he
was fascinated with its instant readings. Ahh, those Americans! They
have everything.

Old 15-07-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.

I suppose that could be said for EVERY question asked on usenet. I wanted
to hear it from the horses' mouths.

Old 15-07-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
California Culinary Academy.
http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1

Holy crarp that's a damning article. Thanks for that. I just finished my
law degree and thought it might be more fun to go to school for another
couple of years and get an AA in Cheffin'... but it looks like a new shmuck
straight out of law school makes twice what the average sous chef makes.
That's crazy.. are there just a whole lot of chefs out there or what? Or
maybe a lot of restaurants.. keep driving the prices of dinner, and thus of
chef wages, down?

Old 15-07-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Zippy P wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

First, there's no such thing as a line chef. The term is
line cook. This is the most common position available, even
for someone with excellent cooking skills. There's something
like 20+ line cook positions for every chef or sous chef position.
Realistically, that's where most aspiring "chefs" end up, and
it still takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get there.

In San Francisco, really good ones can make about 50k per year.
When you factor in the dead time floating between jobs,
which is a a reality of the industry, it's less. Possibly
a lot less during the bad times. It's a very cyclical business.

--
Reg

Old 15-07-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:12:04 -0400, Stan Horwitz

"Zippy P" wrote:

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.

google is *not* my friend. it says rude things about me to the other
lusers.

your pal,
blake
Old 15-07-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-15, blake murphy wrote:

google is *not* my friend. it says rude things about me to the other
lusers.

perhaps because you are rude.

nb