Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Default How much $ do chefs make?

Zippy P wrote:

> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> quality place.
>
> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>
> Any numbers anyone?

First, there's no such thing as a line chef. The term is
line cook. This is the most common position available, even
for someone with excellent cooking skills. There's something
like 20+ line cook positions for every chef or sous chef position.
Realistically, that's where most aspiring "chefs" end up, and
it still takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get there.

In San Francisco, really good ones can make about 50k per year.
When you factor in the dead time floating between jobs,
which is a a reality of the industry, it's less. Possibly
a lot less during the bad times. It's a very cyclical business.

--
Reg