Pierre

Default Looking for chefs trick to make parsley look glossy

Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
project.

Pierre

Sheldon

Pierre wrote:
> Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
> extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
> project.

Fertilizer.

Doug Kanter

"Pierre" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
> extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
> project.
>
> Pierre

Post this question in one or more of the photography newsgroups. Years ago,
a glycerine-based spray was one way of doing this, but I'm sure there are
multiple ways of doing it.

Pierre

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Post this question in one or more of the photography newsgroups.

Years ago,
> a glycerine-based spray was one way of doing this, but I'm sure there

are
> multiple ways of doing it.

Thanks Doug; good idea. I appreciate your helpful response. I'll poke
around their archives. Bound to be something.

Pierre

Doug Kanter

"Pierre" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>>
>> Post this question in one or more of the photography newsgroups.

> Years ago,
>> a glycerine-based spray was one way of doing this, but I'm sure there

> are
>> multiple ways of doing it.

> Thanks Doug; good idea. I appreciate your helpful response. I'll poke
> around their archives. Bound to be something.
>

> Pierre

You might also poke around www.rit.edu (Rochester Institute of Technology).
That school's got a photography program, and some schools put their course
work notes online. Another would be www.syracuse.edu. Look for the Gannet
school of communications.

Bob (this one)

Pierre wrote:

> Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
> extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
> project.

If you're not going to eat it, freshen it in soapy water. It will take
up a good bit of it and become plumped. No matter what else you do
with it, this is a good first step.

1) Dry it and mist it with Pam of any other spray like it.

2) Food stylists use glycerin to make sparkles, but completely coating
the leaves would be difficult because of the viscosity of the
glycerin. If it's for a short term show - under 1/2 hour or so, I'd go
for the oil spray.

3) Once I used leaf shine spray that I bought at a florist's shop to
make kale shiny. It was a pain but worked fine.

Happy leaves...

Pastorio

zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:

> 2) Food stylists use glycerin to make sparkles, but completely coating
> the leaves would be difficult because of the viscosity of the glycerin.
> If it's for a short term show - under 1/2 hour or so, I'd go for the oil
> spray.

If it doesn't have to be edible, what about thinning the glycerin with
rubbing alcohol? Or vodka, if it does have to be edible?

Bob
Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>

>> 2) Food stylists use glycerin to make sparkles, but completely coating
>> the leaves would be difficult because of the viscosity of the
>> glycerin. If it's for a short term show - under 1/2 hour or so, I'd go
>> for the oil spray.
>>

> If it doesn't have to be edible, what about thinning the glycerin with
> rubbing alcohol? Or vodka, if it does have to be edible?

And if you don't use all the vodka on the stupid parsley...

Pastorio

Dimitri

"Pierre" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
> extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
> project.
>
> Pierre

Yep.

Treat the parsley as you would any cut flower.

Trim the bottom of the stems and place in a glass with a little water and
store in a cool place.

Dimitri

zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:
>>

>>> 2) Food stylists use glycerin to make sparkles, but completely
>>> coating the leaves would be difficult because of the viscosity of the
>>> glycerin. If it's for a short term show - under 1/2 hour or so, I'd
>>> go for the oil spray.
>>>

>> If it doesn't have to be edible, what about thinning the glycerin with
>> rubbing alcohol? Or vodka, if it does have to be edible?

> And if you don't use all the vodka on the stupid parsley...
>
> Pastorio

Well, I'd hate for it to go to waste...

Bob

Del Cecchi

Pierre wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>>Post this question in one or more of the photography newsgroups.

> Years ago,
>
>>a glycerine-based spray was one way of doing this, but I'm sure there

> are
>
>>multiple ways of doing it.

> Thanks Doug; good idea. I appreciate your helpful response. I'll poke
> around their archives. Bound to be something.
>

> Pierre

gloss water base polyurethane. You're not going to eat it but just
look/photograph?
Pierre

Del Cecchi wrote:
><snip>
> gloss water base polyurethane. You're not going to eat it but just
> look/photograph?

It's going to be a "nest" for food; the food will be eaten not the
parsley.

I'll take pix too, yes.

Pierre

Arri London

Pierre wrote:

> Anyone know of a chefs trick that would make flat leaf parsley make
> extra green, succulent, and shiney? Its for a food presentation
> project.
>
> Pierre

Brush it with a light coating of veg oil or even medical mineral oil. It
will still be edible.
Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> If it doesn't have to be edible, what about thinning the glycerin
>>> with rubbing alcohol? Or vodka, if it does have to be edible?

>> And if you don't use all the vodka on the stupid parsley...
>>
>> Pastorio
>>

> Well, I'd hate for it to go to waste...

Exactly. Leaving it all alone in the bottle like that...

Who knows what could happen to it?

Pastorio

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 16 Mar 2005 04:12:40a, Bob (this one) wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> And if you don't use all the vodka on the stupid parsley...
>>>
>>> Pastorio
>>>

>> Well, I'd hate for it to go to waste...

> Exactly. Leaving it all alone in the bottle like that...
>
> Who knows what could happen to it?

It could get drunk.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 16 Mar 2005 04:12:40a, Bob (this one) wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >> Well, I'd hate for it to go to waste...

> > Exactly. Leaving it all alone in the bottle like that...
> >
> > Who knows what could happen to it?

> It could get drunk.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Better than the cook. With enough vodka, the cook might start ironing the
curly parsley to make it flat. Then again, would that really be so bad?

Charlie, Stoli hugger

Bob (this one)

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

>>>Exactly. Leaving it all alone in the bottle like that...
>>>
>>>Who knows what could happen to it?

>>It could get drunk.

> Better than the cook. With enough vodka, the cook might start ironing the
> curly parsley to make it flat. Then again, would that really be so bad?

Pshaw, I say. The conscientious parsley shiner would get the flatleaf
so no ironing necessary. That being the case, more time and energy to
deal more properly with the vodka. Anybody knows that.

Pastorio

Parsley gregz General Cooking 20 07-01-2012 10:45 PM
Parsley DanS.[_3_] General Cooking 33 04-01-2012 08:32 PM
Eat Your Parsley Lew Hodgett General Cooking 1 05-07-2010 05:01 AM
How much $ do chefs make? Zippy P General Cooking 38 17-07-2007 07:23 PM
TV Chefs and Real Chefs Grizzman General Cooking 42 27-05-2006 06:50 PM