Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are most people here chefs etc?

This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
program in Wollongong.

My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
BBQ or roast.

I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Grinner" > wrote in message ...
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.
>
> My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
> BBQ or roast.
>
> I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
> lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
> parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

I'm just someone who likes to cook and eat good food. My daughter thinks I'm a chef

--
Al Reid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.
>
> My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
> BBQ or roast.
>
> I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
> lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
> parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

I am no "chef" LOL. I just like my food

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

I trained at the Culinary Institute of America many years ago. I don't
work as a chef now.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-08-11, Grinner > wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

Yes.

Also, most of are very opinionated on the subject of beets, hate
Rachael Ray, and too inconsiderate to trim replies.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Grinner" > wrote in message
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.
>
> My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the

odd
> BBQ or roast.
>
> I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things

like
> lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
> parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

==============
Hello and welcome to the group.
I am not a chef; just someone who enjoys collecting recipes and cooking
tasty meals. I don't cook gourmet foods, as so many on this site do; I
prefer the simpler homestyle method of cooking. I used to cook for my
parents when I was a young teen, since both my parents worked; then my
husband and two children until the children grew up and left home, and now
my husband, my two children and their families, which includes six
grandchildren, when they visit, which is often.
--------------

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

I am not a chef, and sometimes I think I am not even a good hobby cook!

i have a fair amount of knoweldge from books and TV and have been cooking my
own meals for about 15 year. Since I rarely cook the same thing twice, I do
not learn as much from my mistakes as one might.

But then I am just a little negative in my thinking today because my 5th
attempt at risotto yesterday was a little unsatisfactory. Slightly too wet
and soft. I thought I would be better at it by now. Impatience, I guess. And
perfectionism. Ant the more theory I learn, the higher my expectations get

The accompanying salads *did* work, so that's good. And I'm good at
experimenting with sandwiches. I figure those two things are teaching me a
lot about combining flavors and textures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>
>> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
>
> -sw

No I'm no chef either, folding and caramelising this and sauteing that is
all a bit too involved. Anything more advanced than separating eggs and it's
all too much.

Thanks to everyone who posted intorducing themselves as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>
>> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
>
> -sw

True...can you imagine the havoc and chaos having real chefs in this group
would cause?

Welcome to the group, Grinner. Because we're not "real chefs" it means you
can get "real-life" answers to cooking questions, not elaborate suggestions
that require you to spend 95% of your taxable income on some exotic
ingredient that can only be found under a purple toadstool in the dark of
the new moon only in years that are divisible by 7.

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.
>
> My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
> BBQ or roast.
>
> I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
> lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
> parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

Hi- I was a pastry chef, but couldn't find a place in my area that was
to my standards, so now I'm in the freight business(but not forever)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lisa Ann > wrote in message
> [..] some exotic ingredient that can only be
> found under a purple toadstool in the dark of
> the new moon only in years that are divisible
> by 7.

And I've got mine resting in the crisper as I type this! Nyah-nyah!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Grinner" > wrote in message
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.

No chefs in my family, just foodies.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lisa Ann" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>>
>>> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Welcome to the group, Grinner. Because we're not "real chefs" it
> means you can get "real-life" answers to cooking questions, not
> elaborate suggestions that require you to spend 95% of your taxable
> income on some exotic ingredient that can only be found under a purple
> toadstool in the dark of the new moon only in years that are divisible
> by 7.

You forgot that said ingredients can be prepared only by left-handed,
cross-eyed people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Grinner" > wrote:
>
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> No. It seems like there are an awful lot of IT folks who frequently
> post here. Some of them are even employed.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Hey!!! I resemble that remark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Grinner" > wrote:

> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

No. It seems like there are an awful lot of IT folks who frequently
post here. Some of them are even employed.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Grinner" > said:

> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

No, although we do have a few professionals and former professionals
here. Personally, I consider myself a novice cook...

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner wrote:
> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

Maybe some day I can do some time at the CIA. Until then I just like
to cook. And don't be afraid of caramelizing something.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
>I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
>program in Wollongong.

If we were chefs, we'd probably be way to busy working to get a chance
to use a newsgroup. <G>

>My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
>BBQ or roast.

I cook regular food most of the time, too.

>I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
>lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
>parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

Parsnips? Of with his/her head!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:58:46 +0200, "Jke" >
wrote:

>I am not a chef, and sometimes I think I am not even a good hobby cook!

Jke is a very adventurous cook. You can learn a lot just by following
the threads he starts.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:56:48 -0700, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>Lisa Ann > wrote in message
>> [..] some exotic ingredient that can only be
>> found under a purple toadstool in the dark of
>> the new moon only in years that are divisible
>> by 7.

>And I've got mine resting in the crisper as I type this! Nyah-nyah!

Yeah, but I came by earlier and peed in your crisper. That's not
ordinary condensation. So there!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:13:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
> >
> >> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> >Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> >enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.

> Hey! Dave Bugg is a sweetheart! Wash your mouth out with soap!

When was Q elevated to Quzeen?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Aug 2006 10:26:49 -0700, "sf" > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:13:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>> >Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
>> >enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.

>> Hey! Dave Bugg is a sweetheart! Wash your mouth out with soap!

>When was Q elevated to Quzeen?

Would people stand in line to buy *your* Q?

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, "Grinner" >
> wrote:

> and the odd
> >parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

> Parsnips? Of with his/her head!

Parsnips (in moderation) are a wonderful addition to a hearty winter
soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:42:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > No. It seems like there are an awful lot of IT folks who frequently
> > post here. Some of them are even employed.

> Hey - we invented this Usenet thingy, you know. We did it just so
> we could socialize without having to shower and dress ourselves in
> the morning.

And don't forget that IT people are more likely to be able to figure out
how to surf the net and cruise newsgroups at work without getting caught.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Damsel in dis Dress" > schreef in bericht
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:58:46 +0200, "Jke" >
> wrote:
>
>>I am not a chef, and sometimes I think I am not even a good hobby cook!

> Jke is a very adventurous cook. You can learn a lot just by following
> the threads he starts.

But that's what gets me into trouble on the flavor level sometimes

Today's easy stir fry was so much better than yesterday's more laborious
food. Noodles, mushrroms, shallots, garlic, spring onions, flat elaf
pastely, hott sauce and the two flavor packets (an oily one and powder one)
went itno it.

The noodles were packages like ramen, but they were wet. Made from wheat and
water, lovely texture. I've only just discovered them.

Maybe this weekend I'll try the dry hominy. But I don't have any bacon
around, which I suspect would make a great addition to the hominy. I'm out
of eggs, too. Just lots of broccoli in th fridge. Hm. This needs some
thinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

OOPS , TYPOS. I'll correct them below.

> But that's what gets me into trouble on the flavor level sometimes
>
> Today's easy stir fry was so much better than yesterday's more laborious
> food. Noodles, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, spring onions, flat leaf
> parsley, hot sauce and the two flavor packets from the noodles (an oily
> one and powder one) went into it.

addition: and eggs.

> The noodles were packaged like ramen, but they were wet. Made from wheat
> and water, they have a lovely texture. I've only just discovered them.
>
> Maybe this weekend I'll try the dry hominy. But I don't have any bacon
> around, which I suspect would make a great addition to the hominy. I'm out
> of eggs, too. Just lots of broccoli in the fridge. Hm. This needs some
> thinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Grinner, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on 11 Aug
2006, typed out:

> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

I'm not a chef but I wore the hat for a brief moment in time.

I'm still learning how to cook. And I'm pretty comfortable making a mess
in my kitchen! That keeps it fun!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Grinner" > wrote:

> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

In our own minds...... ;-)

In many ways, I think a lot of folks here are superior as most have open
minds so are open to new ideas.

IMHO that is the secret to becoming a really good cook!
A willingness to experiment and learn.

> I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
> program in Wollongong.
>
> My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the odd
> BBQ or roast.
>
> I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things like
> lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
> parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

You will fit in well here Grasshopper.... <G>

Just kidding!

Jump on in! The water is fine......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-08-11, Grinner > wrote:
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Yes.
>
> Also, most of are very opinionated on the subject of beets, hate
> Rachael Ray, and too inconsiderate to trim replies.
>
> nb

<snicker>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
>
> -sw

But that is what made Pastorio so much fun...

Anyone know what happened to him??????
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>
> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
>
> -sw

I'm not that bad am I Steve? I was a "real chef" for about 15 years. I
still have a live and let live attitude.

I also still enjoy cooking although it took awhile after I retired.

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>>
>> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

>> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
>> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
>>
>> -sw

> But that is what made Pastorio so much fun...
>
> Anyone know what happened to him??????

no but I miss him!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Lisa Ann > wrote in message
>> [..] some exotic ingredient that can only be
>> found under a purple toadstool in the dark of
>> the new moon only in years that are divisible
>> by 7.

> And I've got mine resting in the crisper as I type this! Nyah-nyah!
>
> The Ranger

Well, that's just fine if you *want* to spend 95% of your taxable income on
this ingredient...but when your daughter units look at you and ask, "Daddy,
why am I having to go to Billy Bob's College and Bait Shop instead of the
state university?" what are you going to say, huh?

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Al Reid" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Grinner" > wrote:
>>
>> > This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

>> No. It seems like there are an awful lot of IT folks who frequently
>> post here. Some of them are even employed.
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://jamlady.eboard.com

> Hey!!! I resemble that remark

Me too, unfortunately...but keep your fingers crossed (unless doing so means
you'd have a tragic accident with a knife or something), I had an interview
Tues for a job in my field!

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> > And don't forget that IT people are more likely to be able to figure out
> > how to surf the net and cruise newsgroups at work without getting caught.

> Yeah - at least until Time Warner calls and leaves a message on
> your bosses voice-mail about a newsgroup complaint they received.
> So I called someone and "asshole" - big whoop. Apparently
> assholes were off-topic <shrug>.
>
> Those assholes!

It is not just paranoia that makes bosses think that when the word "asshole" is
used it is in reference to them. It usually is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:42:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> No. It seems like there are an awful lot of IT folks who frequently
>> post here. Some of them are even employed.

> Hey - we invented this Usenet thingy, you know. We did it just so
> we could socialize without having to shower and dress ourselves in
> the morning.

Those of us who can dress ourselves, of course...

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:34:18 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Steve Wertz wrote:
>>
>>> Hey - we invented this Usenet thingy, you know. We did it just so
>>> we could socialize without having to shower and dress ourselves in
>>> the morning.

>> And don't forget that IT people are more likely to be able to figure out
>> how to surf the net and cruise newsgroups at work without getting caught.

> Yeah - at least until Time Warner calls and leaves a message on
> your bosses voice-mail about a newsgroup complaint they received.
> So I called someone and "asshole" - big whoop. Apparently
> assholes were off-topic <shrug>.
>
> Those assholes!
>
> ObFood: A large jalapeno cheeseburger from Dan's for lunch.

Assholes are *never* off-topic. Why else do you think there are so many of
them?

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, "Grinner" >
> wrote:
>
>>This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?
>>I like to cook and my ex was a commercial cook who used to cook for a
>>program in Wollongong.

> If we were chefs, we'd probably be way to busy working to get a chance
> to use a newsgroup. <G>
>
>>My cooking is pretty basic fare, mostly stir fries and Italian, with the
>>odd
>>BBQ or roast.

> I cook regular food most of the time, too.
>
>>I like to make my own Asian sauces and experiment a little with things
>>like
>>lemon grass, galangal, ginger, chillis and asian curries . . . and the odd
>>parsnip flavoured casserole occasionally.

> Parsnips? Of with his/her head!

<sigh> Parsnips really aren't tools of the devil, you know.

Tapioca Pudding on the other hand....

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:13:10 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 23:12:34 +1000, Grinner wrote:
>>
>>> This seems like a pretty good group. Are most of you chefs?

>>Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
>>enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.

> Hey! Dave Bugg is a sweetheart! Wash your mouth out with soap!

Isn't Dave our Barbeque God? Don't you think demoting him to a mere chef is
rather...well...insulting?

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > Steve Wertz > wrote:

> >> Real restaurant chefs are a pain in the ass. This group is ornery
> >> enough without having to add career chefs to the mix.
> >>
> >> -sw

> > But that is what made Pastorio so much fun...
> >
> > Anyone know what happened to him??????

> no but I miss him!

Ditto. :-(
--