Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default How much $ do chefs make?

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>> 3 5 and 8
>>>

>> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
>> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
>> California Culinary Academy.
>> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
>> Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
>> community college.
>>

> At our local community college the classes in their culinary arts program
> cost $100 per credit hour, with most classes being 3-4 hours each. So
> you're looking at $300-400 per class and of course many classes are required
> to complete the program.
>
> Jill

There really is no reason to complete the program if it includes classes
of no interest at all. Safety is a must but is included in almost all
classes. There's a lot of repetition, too.

I skipped Medieval cooking because I didn't really want to cook for old
dead people. I also skipped cucina rapida because I didn't want to end
up cooking that. If I were shooting for a restaurant job it might be
different, but even so you'd probably have a type of restaurant in mind.

During the safety portions of classes the chef would go on and on about
how important (and it is) that food stay within a certain span of
temperatures. I was the only one in the room with a thermometer and he
was fascinated with its instant readings. Ahh, those Americans! They
have everything.