FoodBanter.com

-   -   How much $ do chefs make? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/128915-how-much-do-chefs.html)

Zippy P 15-07-2007 07:52 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
quality place.

Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Any numbers anyone?

--
Cite your sources.
I'm not interested in your opinion.

LarbGai 15-07-2007 09:28 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

******BINGO

sf[_3_] 15-07-2007 10:26 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:
>
>> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
>> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
>> quality place.
>>
>> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>>
>> Any numbers anyone?

>3 5 and 8

I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
California Culinary Academy.
http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
community college.

sous chef - (GIYF - zippy)
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/l...S08000075.html

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

John Kane 15-07-2007 11:37 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Jul 15, 2:52 am, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> quality place.
>
> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>
> Any numbers anyone?
>
> --
> Cite your sources.
> I'm not interested in your opinion.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Ward Abbott 15-07-2007 12:28 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

wrote:

>Wondering how much the average US chef makes

Are you an AVERAGE chef? Become exceptional...since an average chef
will make what you are worth. New York....Atlanta,.....will be
paying much more than Souix City....but the cost of living will mean
you take home the same amount of money. Why do you want to work
19 hours a day? Look for under 25,000.

Stan Horwitz 15-07-2007 01:12 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

In article > ,
"Zippy P" > wrote:

> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> quality place.
>
> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.

Sheldon 15-07-2007 01:50 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

"Zippy PooperScooper" wrote:
> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> quality place.
>
> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

Why do you care... if you have to ask it means you're not even
qualified for ice cream scooper.

Sheldon

George[_1_] 15-07-2007 03:31 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:
>
>> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
>> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
>> quality place.
>>
>> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>>
>> Any numbers anyone?

> 3 5 and 8
>
> -sw

You forgot to specify the +/-20% regional adjustment...

jmcquown 15-07-2007 07:00 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:52:51 GMT, Zippy P wrote:
>>
>>> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly
>>> high-quality restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain
>>> restaurant but a good, quality place.
>>>
>>> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>>>
>>> Any numbers anyone?

>> 3 5 and 8
>>

> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
> California Culinary Academy.
> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
> Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
> community college.

At our local community college the classes in their culinary arts program
cost $100 per credit hour, with most classes being 3-4 hours each. So
you're looking at $300-400 per class and of course many classes are required
to complete the program.

Jill

Giusi 15-07-2007 07:32 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:18:45 GMT, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>> 3 5 and 8
>>>

>> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
>> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
>> California Culinary Academy.
>> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1
>> Bottom line: check out the hotel and restaurant courses at your local
>> community college.
>>

> At our local community college the classes in their culinary arts program
> cost $100 per credit hour, with most classes being 3-4 hours each. So
> you're looking at $300-400 per class and of course many classes are required
> to complete the program.
>
> Jill

There really is no reason to complete the program if it includes classes
of no interest at all. Safety is a must but is included in almost all
classes. There's a lot of repetition, too.

I skipped Medieval cooking because I didn't really want to cook for old
dead people. I also skipped cucina rapida because I didn't want to end
up cooking that. If I were shooting for a restaurant job it might be
different, but even so you'd probably have a type of restaurant in mind.

During the safety portions of classes the chef would go on and on about
how important (and it is) that food stay within a certain span of
temperatures. I was the only one in the room with a thermometer and he
was fascinated with its instant readings. Ahh, those Americans! They
have everything.

Zippy P 15-07-2007 08:35 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

> If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
> sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.

I suppose that could be said for EVERY question asked on usenet. I wanted
to hear it from the horses' mouths.

Zippy P 15-07-2007 08:40 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
> California Culinary Academy.
> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1

Holy crarp that's a damning article. Thanks for that. I just finished my
law degree and thought it might be more fun to go to school for another
couple of years and get an AA in Cheffin'... but it looks like a new shmuck
straight out of law school makes twice what the average sous chef makes.
That's crazy.. are there just a whole lot of chefs out there or what? Or
maybe a lot of restaurants.. keep driving the prices of dinner, and thus of
chef wages, down?

Reg 15-07-2007 08:59 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

Zippy P wrote:

> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> quality place.
>
> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>
> Any numbers anyone?

First, there's no such thing as a line chef. The term is
line cook. This is the most common position available, even
for someone with excellent cooking skills. There's something
like 20+ line cook positions for every chef or sous chef position.
Realistically, that's where most aspiring "chefs" end up, and
it still takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get there.

In San Francisco, really good ones can make about 50k per year.
When you factor in the dead time floating between jobs,
which is a a reality of the industry, it's less. Possibly
a lot less during the bad times. It's a very cyclical business.

--
Reg

blake murphy 15-07-2007 10:57 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:12:04 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>In article > ,
> "Zippy P" > wrote:
>
>> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
>> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
>> quality place.
>>
>> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

>If you go to http://www.google.com and search for "chef income" I am
>sure you will find the information you want. Google is your friend.

google is *not* my friend. it says rude things about me to the other
lusers.

your pal,
blake

notbob 15-07-2007 11:05 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On 2007-07-15, blake murphy > wrote:

> google is *not* my friend. it says rude things about me to the other
> lusers.

perhaps because you are rude.

nb

Ward Abbott 16-07-2007 12:41 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:05:52 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>other
>> lusers.

lusers? HUH?

modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] 16-07-2007 03:18 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:41:43 -0400, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:05:52 -0500, notbob > wrote:
>
>>other
>>> lusers.

>lusers? HUH?

loosers
--

modom

hahabogus 16-07-2007 03:37 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:41:43 -0400, Ward Abbott >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:05:52 -0500, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>>other

>>lusers? HUH?
>>

> loosers
> --
>
> modom

loser? perhaps.... Looser is not tight. Like in looser than goose shit.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Blair P. Houghton 16-07-2007 04:46 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

Zippy P > wrote:
>Holy crarp that's a damning article. Thanks for that. I just finished my
>law degree and thought it might be more fun to go to school for another
>couple of years and get an AA in Cheffin'... but it looks like a new shmuck
>straight out of law school makes twice what the average sous chef makes.
>That's crazy.. are there just a whole lot of chefs out there or what? Or
>maybe a lot of restaurants.. keep driving the prices of dinner, and thus of
>chef wages, down?

You don't have to pass the bar to practice cooking.

--Blair
"Well, you do if the back entrance
is blocked..."

modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] 16-07-2007 05:02 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:37:42 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>"modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
:

>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:41:43 -0400, Ward Abbott >
>> wrote:

>>>lusers? HUH?
>>>

>> loosers
>> --
>>
>> modom
>>

>loser? perhaps.... Looser is not tight. Like in looser than goose shit.

I stand by my looser.
--

modom

jmcquown 16-07-2007 05:11 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

Zippy P wrote:
>> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
>> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
>> California Culinary Academy.
>> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1

> Holy crarp that's a damning article. Thanks for that. I just
> finished my law degree and thought it might be more fun to go to
> school for another couple of years and get an AA in Cheffin'... but
> it looks like a new shmuck straight out of law school makes twice
> what the average sous chef makes. That's crazy.. are there just a
> whole lot of chefs out there or what? Or maybe a lot of
> restaurants.. keep driving the prices of dinner, and thus of chef
> wages, down?

Fact is, culinary degree (from wherever!) or not, you don't walk into a
restaurant and immediately be appointed the head chef or even sous chef. It
just doesn't work that way. As Reg pointed out, you'd most likely start out
as a line cook. Depending upon your geographic area, the salaries will
vary. The hours are long, the work largely unappreciated. Of course, the
same could be said about lawyers ;)

Jill

jmcquown 16-07-2007 05:11 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:37:42 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
>> :

>>> loosers
>>> --
>>>
>>> modom
>>>

>> loser? perhaps.... Looser is not tight. Like in looser than goose
>> shit.

> I stand by my looser.
> --
>
> modom

Nope, sorry, it's "loser".

sf[_3_] 16-07-2007 07:58 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:00:47 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>At our local community college the classes in their culinary arts program
>cost $100 per credit hour, with most classes being 3-4 hours each. So
>you're looking at $300-400 per class and of course many classes are required
>to complete the program.

In California, CC units are $26 (not sure if that's current, but it's
close).

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

sf[_3_] 16-07-2007 08:07 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:40:39 GMT, "Zippy P" >
wrote:

>> I hope zippy doesn't have plans to become rich and famous through
>> cooking. I found a very disturbing article tonight about the
>> California Culinary Academy.
>> http://www.sfweekly.com/2007-06-06/news/burnt-chefs/1

>Holy crarp that's a damning article. Thanks for that. I just finished my
>law degree and thought it might be more fun to go to school for another
>couple of years and get an AA in Cheffin'... but it looks like a new shmuck
>straight out of law school makes twice what the average sous chef makes.
>That's crazy.. are there just a whole lot of chefs out there or what? Or
>maybe a lot of restaurants.. keep driving the prices of dinner, and thus of
>chef wages, down?

You sound like a career student in the making. Get out there and do
some lawyering, boy! Make your mama proud.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

Pan Ohco 16-07-2007 06:49 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:11:02 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Fact is, culinary degree (from wherever!) or not, you don't walk into a
>restaurant and immediately be appointed the head chef or even sous chef. It
>just doesn't work that way. As Reg pointed out, you'd most likely start out
>as a line cook. Depending upon your geographic area, the salaries will
>vary. The hours are long, the work largely unappreciated. Of course, the
>same could be said about lawyers ;)
>
>Jill

I have to disagree Jill, most lawyers do not work that many hours.
Unless they are brand new in a large firm.
All in all, the average lawyer will make about 5 times what the
average chef makes.

modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] 16-07-2007 07:13 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:11:27 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:37:42 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>> "modom (palindrome guy)" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> loser? perhaps.... Looser is not tight. Like in looser than goose
>>> shit.

>> I stand by my looser.

>Nope, sorry, it's "loser".

That just goes to show that I'm looser than you are in this exchange.
--

modom

Default User 16-07-2007 07:37 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:58:33 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > In California, CC units are $26 (not sure if that's current, but
> > it's close).

> Austin is $39/credit for residents. There's some other basic
> fees on top of those (like labs, registration, and of course
> books), but that's about it.

St. Louis CC is $81 per credit hour next fall. I was a bit surprised at
how high it is.

Brian

won't shut up.

Dave Smith[_2_] 16-07-2007 08:05 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

John Kane wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2:52 am, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> > Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> > restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> > quality place.
> >
> > Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
> >
> > Any numbers anyone?
> >
> > --
> > Cite your sources.
> > I'm not interested in your opinion.

> http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

That site reported a mean of $37,800 for head chefs. That might even be a
little high for this neck of the woods. One of my nephews is a chef in a
winery restaurant. He was worked his way up, but I was surprised to hear
that even a year after he graduated from college he was only making about
$10 per hour as a line cook. I thought it sounded like a waste of time to
go to college for a few years to make just a little more than minimum wage.

George[_1_] 16-07-2007 08:25 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

Dave Smith wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2:52 am, "Zippy P" > wrote:
>>> Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
>>> restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
>>> quality place.
>>>
>>> Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.
>>>
>>> Any numbers anyone?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cite your sources.
>>> I'm not interested in your opinion.

>> http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

> That site reported a mean of $37,800 for head chefs. That might even be a
> little high for this neck of the woods. One of my nephews is a chef in a
> winery restaurant. He was worked his way up, but I was surprised to hear
> that even a year after he graduated from college he was only making about
> $10 per hour as a line cook. I thought it sounded like a waste of time to
> go to college for a few years to make just a little more than minimum wage.

Thats not unusual starting out. My nephew just went through that. He has
a degree in accounting. He went to work for the "big" local accounting
firm. He got $18,000/year *salary*. He had to put in at least 50
hours/week minimum. He had to do it for a number of years before he
could sit for the CPA exam.

Becca 16-07-2007 09:03 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

Dave Smith wrote:

> John Kane wrote:

>>http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

> That site reported a mean of $37,800 for head chefs. That might even be a
> little high for this neck of the woods. One of my nephews is a chef in a
> winery restaurant. He was worked his way up, but I was surprised to hear
> that even a year after he graduated from college he was only making about
> $10 per hour as a line cook. I thought it sounded like a waste of time to
> go to college for a few years to make just a little more than minimum wage.

Well, I agree with you. Your nephew graduated from college, so he should
be earning more than $10 per hour. If he is happy, that is all that
matters. One of my cousins graduated from college, he had a golf
scholarship. He went to law school, passed the bar, and he is working as
a bartender at a country club. He likes it. You can't figure kids out. LOL

Becca

John Kane 16-07-2007 09:59 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Jul 16, 3:05 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
>
> > On Jul 15, 2:52 am, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> > > Wondering how much the average US chef makes in a fairly high-quality
> > > restaurant in a major city. I don't mean a chain restaurant but a good,
> > > quality place.

> > > Executive Chefs, Sous chefs and Line chefs, specifically.

> > > Any numbers anyone?

> > > --
> > > Cite your sources.
> > > I'm not interested in your opinion.

> >http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_stru.htm#35-0000

> That site reported a mean of $37,800 for head chefs. That might even be a
> little high for this neck of the woods. One of my nephews is a chef in a
> winery restaurant. He was worked his way up, but I was surprised to hear
> that even a year after he graduated from college he was only making about
> $10 per hour as a line cook. I thought it sounded like a waste of time to
> go to college for a few years to make just a little more than minimum wage.

Those are US figures David. Canadian figures below but they may not
be directly comparable as Cda and USA use different defintions . I
suspect that even the major executive chefs for the big hotels etc max
out under 80,000

Canada
Total - Full-year, full-time workers Average employment income $
G411 Chefs 18570 29629
G412 Cooks 69350 21177

Zippy P 17-07-2007 01:13 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

Down here in San Diego the community colleges are $20 a unit now!

And if a majority of the students in the class are over 55, the entire class
is free for everyone. Isn't that nuts? So instead of spending $20,000 to
$50,000 for an AA you can get one for a couple thousand, or if you team up
with some oldsters you can get it for FREE.

Tax dollars at work, for once in a helpful way.

Dee Dee 17-07-2007 03:15 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Jul 16, 8:13 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
> Down here in San Diego the community colleges are $20 a unit now!
>
> And if a majority of the students in the class are over 55, the entire class
> is free for everyone. Isn't that nuts? So instead of spending $20,000 to
> $50,000 for an AA you can get one for a couple thousand, or if you team up
> with some oldsters you can get it for FREE.
>
> Tax dollars at work, for once in a helpful way.

When I lived in San Diego in the mid-60's, all community colleges were
free to all residents. Not only that, CA had a surplus of several
billion dollars in tax money in the 70's (Could have been in the
80''s) Look what's happened!
Dee Dee

sf[_3_] 17-07-2007 07:17 AM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:13:16 GMT, "Zippy P" >
wrote:

>Down here in San Diego the community colleges are $20 a unit now!
>
>And if a majority of the students in the class are over 55, the entire class
>is free for everyone. Isn't that nuts? So instead of spending $20,000 to
>$50,000 for an AA you can get one for a couple thousand, or if you team up
>with some oldsters you can get it for FREE.

KEWL! I didn't know that.

>Tax dollars at work, for once in a helpful way.

California Community Colleges train, retrain and offer 60 units that
can be transfered to a 4 year institution. If students come to
college unprepared, they even offer remedial classes so the motivated
can move on.

California's vision was to provide an affordable education to
California residents. It's too bad we've lost sight of it.
Unfortunately, the system is overloaded and tuition is rising.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

sf[_3_] 17-07-2007 07:19 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:15:50 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>On Jul 16, 8:13 pm, "Zippy P" > wrote:
>> Down here in San Diego the community colleges are $20 a unit now!
>>
>> And if a majority of the students in the class are over 55, the entire class
>> is free for everyone. Isn't that nuts? So instead of spending $20,000 to
>> $50,000 for an AA you can get one for a couple thousand, or if you team up
>> with some oldsters you can get it for FREE.
>>
>> Tax dollars at work, for once in a helpful way.

>When I lived in San Diego in the mid-60's, all community colleges were
>free to all residents. Not only that, CA had a surplus of several
>billion dollars in tax money in the 70's (Could have been in the
>80''s) Look what's happened!

It went downhill with the Regan governorship and hasn't stopped, Dee.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.

sf[_3_] 17-07-2007 07:23 PM

How much $ do chefs make?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:38:33 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>An AA or even an AS degeree doesn't really help you in most
>kitchens. It may help you as an event coordinator or caterer or
>front of house, but back of the house only comes from experience.

Most of what you learn in college is theory, Steve. "Practice" comes
later. Their AA provides some experience because they have kitchens
that serve real customers, just like the more expensive culinary
academies.... but it's like with anything else, you improve as you
gain experience in the field.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.