Old 29-01-2006, 08:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default New way for cooking eggplant

Andrea2 wrote:
That is how my Japanese mother fixed them. After removing the skins
she cut them into long strips and ate them with soy sauce, ground
ginger root and a dash of red pepper.

I sometimes fix them that way when I have the grill going. Other times
I put them in a hot oven. I always use the Japanese eggplant, long
skinny ones, I don't think the big round ones would cook in the
middle.

My mom is Japanese also. I don't remember her ever making eggplant that
way, but for sure, there were few dishes she didn't eat with soy sauce,
ground ginger and red pepper.

I do recall her fixing a dish of tiny little eggplants; I think she
roasted them -- perhaps with miso -- and they were just wonderful. I
never got the recipe though. I don't think I could find eggplants that
small around here, either, but I'd be willing to put a few in the
garden if I knew what to do with them. Maybe I'll try growing some of
the Japanese eggplant.

A Japanese restaurant I used to frequent years ago had an appetizer
that consisted of a single eggplant slice about 3/4 inch thick (a
crosswise slice, not a lengthwise slice). It had the skin still on and
was brushed with sesame oil and broiled and served hot with a dipping
sauce of mashed avocado blended with sesame oil, soy sauce and maybe
some rice vinegar (I'm guessing here...). Good stuff, but again... I
don't have a recipe. I guess I should do some experimentation in the
kitchen.

Cindy

Old 30-01-2006, 08:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"ankalime" wrote in message
oups.com...

I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
there? Pete?

I used to make Eggplant Rollatine, but can't eat it now with my allergies.
I don't have an actual recipe here. I just sort of winged it, but it seems
to be a very forgiving recipe.

Slice the eggplant lengthwise into about 1/4" slices. Coat each slice with
olive oil using a brush or sprayer. Or just put the olive oil straight in
the skillet if you're not concerned with the fat content. Cook until
browned and slightly soft. Cool enough to handle.

Make a filling of ricotta cheese, stiffened with an egg beaten in. You can
add any other Italian cheeses to this that you like. Or you can use just
the ricotta. If you don't have ricotta, use cottage cheese. You can add
parsley or a little chopped spinach to this if you like.

Spread a little seasoned tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Then
put the slices of eggplant in one at a time, adding a spoonful of the
filling to each and rolling up. Put the end underneath so it doesn't
unroll. Leave a bit of space between each roll because they'll expand a bit
as they bake. Top with more tomato sauce and some grated Italian cheese.
Then bake until the cheese is hot and bubble.

--
See my webpage:

Old 30-01-2006, 11:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "ankalime" wrote in message
: oups.com...

: I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
: there? Pete?

: I used to make Eggplant Rollatine, but can't eat it now with my allergies.
: I don't have an actual recipe here. I just sort of winged it, but it seems
: to be a very forgiving recipe.

Julie,
Couldn't you make the filling with interestignly flavored sauteed
vegetables, onions, muchrooms, pepers, etc? You could also use some
choped meat of your choice with those vegetables.

Wendy
Old 31-01-2006, 01:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

Julie,
Couldn't you make the filling with interestignly flavored sauteed
vegetables, onions, muchrooms, pepers, etc? You could also use some
choped meat of your choice with those vegetables.

I suppose it could be made but the reason I ate this was for the cheese. I
don't really like eggplant, but smothering it in cheese made it tasty. I'm
sure I wouldn't care for it at all without the cheese. And since nobody
else in the family liked it there is no point in making it.

--
See my webpage:

cooking eggplant Phil General Cooking 4 02-02-2010 01:54 AM
Eggplant [email protected] General Cooking 16 19-06-2009 05:35 PM
Me and my eggplant Felice General Cooking 3 01-03-2009 04:21 PM
eggplant cooking asdf General Cooking 19 17-01-2007 06:03 PM
Sweating eggplant & gender of eggplant Dee Randall General Cooking 10 11-01-2004 10:46 PM