Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky Nicky is offline

Default New way for cooking eggplant

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
> : It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and
> salt
> : in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before you
> use
> : it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy,
> somehow -
> : and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind and all.
> : use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of savoury dishes.
>
> How much do you use? I found the one time I used a bought one that it was
> so salty the dish was almost inedible.

The jar I'm using at the moment has lemons just a bit bigger than golfballs.
I'd use one for a lemon-and-olive chicken, and perhaps a quarter for a
single eggplant. It's a bit difficult to tell on the eggplant, cos I nibble
as I go : ) I also sometimes stick some lemons and some olive oil in the
blender and make a paste; about a half a teaspoon of paste in some mayo or
guacamole makes a nice change.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004