Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default eggplant cooking

I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

asdf wrote:
> I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
> frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
> up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
> any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?
>
> Thanks.

You need to sweat the eggplant before you cook it. After peeling and
slicing, salt it and place in a colander for at least 1/2 hour. Shake
off the excess salt, then lightly flour it, and shake off any excess
flour.

When I make eggplant parmesan, I follow the above steps, then put it in
a mixture of egg and parmesan, then dip into breadcrumbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15 Jan 2007 09:11:38 -0800, "asdf" > wrote:

>I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
>frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
>up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
>any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?
>
>Thanks.

Cook in a little bit of water first to crisp-tender, then add oil as
desired to sautee. The water will evaporate and the cooked eggplant
will pick up less oil.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

asdf wrote:

> I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
> frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
> up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
> any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?
>
> Thanks.

Us an oil that can be heated to a higher temp. than olive oil, like
canola and get it hotter than you do with olive oil.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

asdf wrote:

> I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
> frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
> up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
> any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?
>
> Thanks.

Get a copy of "Classic Afghan Cookbook", by Mousa M. Amiri, ISBN:
0-9669206-0-0

There are a number of non-greasy eggplant recipes in this cookbook, one
of my favorites being "Brony Banjan Damshoda" which is remarkably simple
to cook and very tasty. My mother always hated eggplant until she tried
these Afghan versions.

Lots of other very good recipes in there as well

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:22:48 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>asdf wrote:
>>
>> I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
>> frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
>> up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
>> any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Get a copy of "Classic Afghan Cookbook", by Mousa M. Amiri, ISBN:
>0-9669206-0-0
>
>There are a number of non-greasy eggplant recipes in this cookbook, one
>of my favorites being "Brony Banjan Damshoda" which is remarkably simple
>to cook and very tasty. My mother always hated eggplant until she tried
>these Afghan versions.
>
>Lots of other very good recipes in there as well

Pete, would you consider posting this recipe? I already have 2
Afghani cookbooks and am not in the market for another, but this
sounds like something I would like too (hate greasy eggplant!)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

asdf wrote:
> I'm a really simple cook and normally just cook egglant slices in a
> frying pan with some olive oil but find that it gets too oily or soaks
> up too much oil - but if I don't add enough oil I think it will burn..
> any suggestions... will dipping it in egg beforehand help ?

Eggplant is a sponge for fat, it'll soak up fat equal to it's volume...
but don't dispair there are better cooking methods.

Don't use a fry pan.

Brush each slice with the appropriate quantity of fat to your liking (a
little dab'll do ya) and grill, broil, or bake... in fact by these
methods you can omit fat entirely. I grow many hundreds of eggplant
each summer, if I ate them fried I'd weigh 500 pounds, so I grill them
as I do most veggies. Grilled eggplant is far tastier than fried
anyway, with grilled they can be seasoned beforehand. And you can even
bread eggplant slices and bake them, better for parm than any dago fry
variety.

And with the new hybrid eggplant there is no longer any reason to
remove bitterness by salting... eggplant haven't been bitter for thirty
years now... just don't choose the largest ones. The thin oriental
varieties have the best flavor and texture and have the most tender
skin, no peeling necessary.

Um, read the thread to learn how many rfc'ers actually know to cook..
'pecially the fry babies... not many, eh. I'll wait ten minutes before
posting just to give everyone a fair shot. <tick, tick, tick,
tick......>

Newsgroups are fun! hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:22:50 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:22:48 GMT, "Pete C." >
> >wrote:

> >>Get a copy of "Classic Afghan Cookbook", by Mousa M. Amiri, ISBN:
> >>0-9669206-0-0
> >>
> >>There are a number of non-greasy eggplant recipes in this cookbook, one
> >>of my favorites being "Brony Banjan Damshoda" which is remarkably simple
> >>to cook and very tasty. My mother always hated eggplant until she tried
> >>these Afghan versions.
> >>
> >>Lots of other very good recipes in there as well

> >Pete, would you consider posting this recipe? I already have 2
> >Afghani cookbooks and am not in the market for another, but this
> >sounds like something I would like too (hate greasy eggplant!)

> Sorry to follow-up my own post. I looked at Amazon and the book is
> out of print. Checked Jessica's Biscuit and they don't have it.
>
> TammyM

Yea, I got my copy from the restaurant. It's by the folks who run the
Shishkebab House of Afghanistan in Hartford, CT. They also have a place
near Sacramento, CA.

They have a web site:
http://afghancuisine.com/

It looks like you can get the cookbook the

http://afghancuisine.com/tab5/store/..._Cookbook.html

You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.

Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.

Wonderful stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Pete C." > wrote:
>TammyM wrote:

>> >Pete, would you consider posting this recipe? [...]

>> Sorry to follow-up my own post. I looked at Amazon and the book is
>> out of print. Checked Jessica's Biscuit and they don't have it.

>Yea, I got my copy from the restaurant. It's by the folks who run the
>Shishkebab House of Afghanistan in Hartford, CT. They also have a place
>near Sacramento, CA.
>
>They have a web site:
http://afghancuisine.com/

>It looks like you can get the cookbook the
>http://afghancuisine.com/tab5/store/...fghan_Cookbook
>.html
>
>You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
>salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
>peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
>garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.
>
>Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
>condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
>so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
>mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.
>Wonderful stuff.

G'day Pete,

Before I got to this response of yours in RFC, I googled "Brony Banjan
Damshoda" without luck, but simply using "Banjan Damshoda" led me to a
previous note from you detailing this recipe at:

<http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=291946&page=2>

Here's a bit more stolen from that other thread:

<quoting a contribution by Joseph Littleshoes>
Add curry powder or garam massala (sp?) to the flour for the eggplant
dore i mentioned earlier. Or simply fry eggplant slices in clarified
butter and serve with any of the many Indian condiments.

When i am feeling particularly indulgent or i have too many eggplants
i like to take 2 slices of lightly sautéed eggplant and place a thick
slice of swiss cheese between them and dip in a thick batter and deep
fry.
</quoting>

You'll find a bit of other comment on the topic there too.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Eggplant can also be cut into pieces and boiled, if you
want a zero-fat preparation. This can work, for example,
if you're just adding it to a pasta / marinara sauce dish.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phred wrote:

> In article >, "Pete C." > wrote:
> >TammyM wrote:

> >> Sorry to follow-up my own post. I looked at Amazon and the book is
> >> out of print. Checked Jessica's Biscuit and they don't have it.

> >Yea, I got my copy from the restaurant. It's by the folks who run the
> >Shishkebab House of Afghanistan in Hartford, CT. They also have a place
> >near Sacramento, CA.
> >
> >They have a web site:
http://afghancuisine.com/

> >It looks like you can get the cookbook the
> >http://afghancuisine.com/tab5/store/...fghan_Cookbook
> >.html
> >
> >You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
> >salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
> >peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
> >garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.
> >
> >Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
> >condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
> >so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
> >mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.
> >Wonderful stuff.

> G'day Pete,
>
> Before I got to this response of yours in RFC, I googled "Brony Banjan
> Damshoda" without luck, but simply using "Banjan Damshoda" led me to a
> previous note from you detailing this recipe at:
>
> <http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=291946&page=2>
>
> Here's a bit more stolen from that other thread:
>
> <quoting a contribution by Joseph Littleshoes>
> Add curry powder or garam massala (sp?) to the flour for the eggplant
> dore i mentioned earlier. Or simply fry eggplant slices in clarified
> butter and serve with any of the many Indian condiments.
>
> When i am feeling particularly indulgent or i have too many eggplants
> i like to take 2 slices of lightly sautéed eggplant and place a thick
> slice of swiss cheese between them and dip in a thick batter and deep
> fry.
> </quoting>
>
> You'll find a bit of other comment on the topic there too.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

Not sure what you're referring to, but what you quoted has nothing
whatsoever to do with the recipe I indicated. No curry powder, no garam
massala, no flour, no butter, not even close.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Eggplant can also be cut into pieces and boiled, if you
> want a zero-fat preparation. This can work, for example,
> if you're just adding it to a pasta / marinara sauce dish.
>
> Steve

The recipe I indicated is basically zero fat. The only trace of added
fat would be from the lightly pan frying the eggplant, and if you use a
non stick pan you don't even need fat there.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Brush each slice with the appropriate quantity of fat to your liking (a
> little dab'll do ya) and grill, broil, or bake... in fact by these
> methods you can omit fat entirely. I grow many hundreds of eggplant
> each summer, if I ate them fried I'd weigh 500 pounds, so I grill them
> as I do most veggies. Grilled eggplant is far tastier than fried
> anyway, with grilled they can be seasoned beforehand. And you can even
> bread eggplant slices and bake them, better for parm than any dago fry
> variety.

I prefer grilled eggplant over fried, too, but her question was about
how to make the eggplant less greasy when frying . . .

> And with the new hybrid eggplant there is no longer any reason to
> remove bitterness by salting... eggplant haven't been bitter for thirty
> years now... just don't choose the largest ones. The thin oriental
> varieties have the best flavor and texture and have the most tender
> skin, no peeling necessary.

Sweating also removes excess moisture and makes it so the eggplant will
absorb less oil. Not necessary when grilling, but it is if you're
frying.

> Um, read the thread to learn how many rfc'ers actually know to cook..
> 'pecially the fry babies... not many, eh. I'll wait ten minutes before
> posting just to give everyone a fair shot. <tick, tick, tick,
> tick......>
> Newsgroups are fun! hehe:-0
>
> Sheldon

It's also great way for some people to put down others' cooking skills
so they can feel good about themselves.

*****************
Baba Ghannuj
(from the book, Lebanese Cuisine, by Madelain Farah)
1 large eggplant
1 clove garlic
salt to taste
4 T tahini
1/4 cup water
1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon juice, depending on desired tartness
finely chopped parsley and/or pomegranate seeds for garnish
simmaq to sprinkle on top (optional)
1 T olive oil to drizzle on top (optional)

Grill the eggplant over a flame until well-done (I have done this in an
oven, but the grill is better). Place the eggplant in a bowl and
remove the skin, carefully preserving the liquid. Chop the eggplant.

In the bowl of a food processor,* combine the garlic with the salt.
Add the tahini and blend thoroughy; slowly adding the water and mixing
well. Add the lemon juice and thoroughly blend. Add the eggplant and
pulse two or three times.

*I also have her fist version of the cookbook, and those instructions
call for using a potato masher or mdaqqa (large wooden mallet), but
I've always gotten good results with a food processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Brush each slice with the appropriate quantity of fat to your liking (a
> little dab'll do ya) and grill, broil, or bake... in fact by these
> methods you can omit fat entirely. I grow many hundreds of eggplant
> each summer, if I ate them fried I'd weigh 500 pounds, so I grill them
> as I do most veggies. Grilled eggplant is far tastier than fried
> anyway, with grilled they can be seasoned beforehand. And you can even
> bread eggplant slices and bake them, better for parm than any dago fry
> variety.

I prefer grilled eggplant over fried, too, but her question was about
how to make the eggplant less greasy when frying . . .

> And with the new hybrid eggplant there is no longer any reason to
> remove bitterness by salting... eggplant haven't been bitter for thirty
> years now... just don't choose the largest ones. The thin oriental
> varieties have the best flavor and texture and have the most tender
> skin, no peeling necessary.

Sweating also removes excess moisture and makes it so the eggplant will
absorb less oil. Not necessary when grilling, but it is if you're
frying.

> Um, read the thread to learn how many rfc'ers actually know to cook..
> 'pecially the fry babies... not many, eh. I'll wait ten minutes before
> posting just to give everyone a fair shot. <tick, tick, tick,
> tick......>
> Newsgroups are fun! hehe:-0
>
> Sheldon

It's also great way for some people to put down others' cooking skills
so they can feel good about themselves.

*****************
Baba Ghannuj
(from the book, Lebanese Cuisine, by Madelain Farah)
1 large eggplant
1 clove garlic
salt to taste
4 T tahini
1/4 cup water
1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon juice, depending on desired tartness
finely chopped parsley and/or pomegranate seeds for garnish
simmaq to sprinkle on top (optional)
1 T olive oil to drizzle on top (optional)

Grill the eggplant over a flame until well-done (I have done this in an
oven, but the grill is better). Place the eggplant in a bowl and
remove the skin, carefully preserving the liquid. Chop the eggplant.

In the bowl of a food processor,* combine the garlic with the salt.
Add the tahini and blend thoroughy; slowly adding the water and mixing
well. Add the lemon juice and thoroughly blend. Add the eggplant and
pulse two or three times.

*I also have her fist version of the cookbook, and those instructions
call for using a potato masher or mdaqqa (large wooden mallet), but
I've always gotten good results with a food processor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote on 16 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Eggplant can also be cut into pieces and boiled, if you
> want a zero-fat preparation. This can work, for example,
> if you're just adding it to a pasta / marinara sauce dish.
>
> Steve

I salt and drain eggplant slices...make up a grilling/brushing sauce of
cheapo Italian salad dressing and a splash or 2 of maggi sauce. put the
eggplant in the sauce then grill it and brush it with the remaining
sauce...Doesn't take long to grill... almost hard to get the grill marks on
both sides before it's ready.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Pete C." > wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>> In article >, "Pete C." > wrote:

[snip]
>> >You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
>> >salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
>> >peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
>> >garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.
>> >
>> >Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
>> >condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
>> >so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
>> >mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.
>> >Wonderful stuff.

>> G'day Pete,
>>
>> Before I got to this response of yours in RFC, I googled "Brony Banjan
>> Damshoda" without luck, but simply using "Banjan Damshoda" led me to a
>> previous note from you detailing this recipe at:
>>
>> <http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=291946&page=2>
>>
>> Here's a bit more stolen from that other thread:
>>
>> <quoting a contribution by Joseph Littleshoes>
>> Add curry powder or garam massala (sp?) to the flour for the eggplant
>> dore i mentioned earlier. Or simply fry eggplant slices in clarified
>> butter and serve with any of the many Indian condiments.
>>
>> When i am feeling particularly indulgent or i have too many eggplants
>> i like to take 2 slices of lightly sautéed eggplant and place a thick
>> slice of swiss cheese between them and dip in a thick batter and deep
>> fry.
>> </quoting>
>>
>> You'll find a bit of other comment on the topic there too.

>Not sure what you're referring to, but what you quoted has nothing
>whatsoever to do with the recipe I indicated. No curry powder, no garam
>massala, no flour, no butter, not even close.

As I said, it was just a comment added by JL to the thread after your
contribution to a discussion on the URL indicated above. Perhaps you
didn't read the followups to your post? No worries, mate. I often
forget topics too.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 07:49:22 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 02:22:50 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>> >Pete, would you consider posting this recipe? I already have 2
>> >Afghani cookbooks and am not in the market for another, but this
>> >sounds like something I would like too (hate greasy eggplant!)

>> Sorry to follow-up my own post. I looked at Amazon and the book is
>> out of print. Checked Jessica's Biscuit and they don't have it.
>>
>> TammyM

>Yea, I got my copy from the restaurant. It's by the folks who run the
>Shishkebab House of Afghanistan in Hartford, CT. They also have a place
>near Sacramento, CA.

WOW! It takes a Texan (?) to show me something of great interest in
my own backyard! I had no idea this restaurant exists. It's a bit
further afield than my usual restaurant excursions, but for this one,
I'll happily go the distance. THANK YOU, Pete C!

>They have a web site:
http://afghancuisine.com/

>It looks like you can get the cookbook the
>
>http://afghancuisine.com/tab5/store/..._Cookbook.html

And I think I will. Despite having 2 Afghani cookbooks already. What
the hay :-)

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
>salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
>peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
>garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.
>
>Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
>condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
>so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
>mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.
>
>Wonderful stuff.

Thanks Pete!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> >Yea, I got my copy from the restaurant. It's by the folks who run the
> >Shishkebab House of Afghanistan in Hartford, CT. They also have a place
> >near Sacramento, CA.

> WOW! It takes a Texan (?) to show me something of great interest in
> my own backyard! I had no idea this restaurant exists. It's a bit
> further afield than my usual restaurant excursions, but for this one,
> I'll happily go the distance. THANK YOU, Pete C!

I bailed out of CT about 2.5 years ago. Getting away from the cold
weather among other things. Unfortunately things seem to be frozen over
here as well at the moment.

My only complaint with the Shishkebab House of Afghanistan is that they
are only open for dinner. I used to work just a mile or two north of
them in Hartford and would have been there frequently if they did lunch.

> >They have a web site: http://afghancuisine.com/
> >
> >It looks like you can get the cookbook the
> >
> >http://afghancuisine.com/tab5/store/..._Cookbook.html

> And I think I will. Despite having 2 Afghani cookbooks already. What
> the hay :-)

I haven't tried all the recipes in the book yet, but every one I have
tried has been great. The rice pudding is phenomenal.

> >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >You take a deep pot with a cover, layer in sliced eggplant (after
> >salting, draining and lightly pan frying), sliced tomatoes, sliced green
> >peppers and sliced onions. Seasoning sprinkled through the layers is
> >garlic, pepper and a little finely minced jalapeno.
> >
> >Cover with a kitchen towel wrapped under the lid so that steam doesn't
> >condense and drip back in, and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or
> >so. There is no liquid added, all comes from the vegetables (tomato
> >mostly) and the liquid reduces at the bottom to make a sauce.
> >
> >Wonderful stuff.

> Thanks Pete!

NP. I always try to expand folks culinary horizons. I've dragged a lot
of skeptics to various ethnic restaurants over the years and have never
had a complaint once they actually try the food.

Pete C.

cooking eggplant Phil General Cooking 4 02-02-2010 12:54 AM
Eggplant [email protected] General Cooking 16 19-06-2009 05:35 PM
Me and my eggplant Felice General Cooking 3 01-03-2009 03:21 PM
New way for cooking eggplant Nicky Diabetic 18 31-01-2006 12:52 AM
Sweating eggplant & gender of eggplant Dee Randall General Cooking 10 11-01-2004 09:46 PM