Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

Default New way for cooking eggplant

Forgive me for posting the obvious, if you've known this all along - but
I've just found the easiest, quickest and most delicious way to cook
eggplant (aubergines).

All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame, turning it until
the skin is blackened all over and the eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it
into a bag and let it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
blackened skin off with your fingers.

The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're left with lovely,
smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with a little preserved lemon, for a
low-carb, low-fat, high taste meal.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

That's an excellent idea! For a little extra smokey flavor try
blackening it on your outdoor grill. Put a few chips of wood (hickory,
oak, fruit, or pecan) in a double layer of foil and punch a few holes
in the packet. Then put that on your coals or on the lower grate of a
gas grill. Close the lid and "you're smokin' " That will give you
about 15-20 minutes of sweet smelling smoke.

A 16 oz roasted eggplant, BTW, contains:
110 Cals, 0.9g Fat, 4.6g protein, 26.1g carbs, and 15.6g fiber.
Net Carbs are 10.5 and to logically serves 2 - 4 people.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
ankalime

Nicky wrote:

> All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame, turning it until
> the skin is blackened all over and the eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it
> into a bag and let it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
> blackened skin off with your fingers.
>
> The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're left with lovely,
> smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with a little preserved lemon, for a
> low-carb, low-fat, high taste meal.

I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought to do it with
eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is preserved lemon?

I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
there? Pete?

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Andrea2

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:58:57 -0000, "Nicky"
> wrote:

>Forgive me for posting the obvious, if you've known this all along - but
>I've just found the easiest, quickest and most delicious way to cook
>eggplant (aubergines).
>
>All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame, turning it until
>the skin is blackened all over and the eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it
>into a bag and let it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
>blackened skin off with your fingers.
>
>The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're left with lovely,
>smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with a little preserved lemon, for a
>low-carb, low-fat, high taste meal.
>
>Nicky.

That is how my Japanese mother fixed them. After removing the skins
she cut them into long strips and ate them with soy sauce, ground
ginger root and a dash of red pepper.

I sometimes fix them that way when I have the grill going. Other times
I put them in a hot oven. I always use the Japanese eggplant, long
skinny ones, I don't think the big round ones would cook in the
middle.

Andrea2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

ankalime wrote:
> Nicky wrote:
>
>> All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame,
>> turning it until the skin is blackened all over and the
>> eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it into a bag and let
>> it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
>> blackened skin off with your fingers.
>>
>> The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're
>> left with lovely, smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with
>> a little preserved lemon, for a low-carb, low-fat, high
>> taste meal.

> I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought
> to do it with eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is
> preserved lemon?
>
> I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly
> eggplant recipes out there? Pete?
>
> Cindy

I'll look through some of my books.

Probably Baba Ganoush will work.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Pete Romfh wrote:
> ankalime wrote:
>> I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly
>> eggplant recipes out there? Pete?
>>
>> Cindy

> I'll look through some of my books.
>
> Probably Baba Ganoush will work.

The orginally posted recipe is pretty close to Baba Ganoush, a Middle
Eastern eggplant dish.
Here's a version from a friend of mine who's the Executive Chef at a 5-star
spa resort.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Baba Ghanoush

An excellent party dip that's diabetic-friendly

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 48
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Main Ingredient: Eggplants
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly, Vegetarian, Meatless, Low
Fat, Roast, Simple - Easy, Vegetables, Snacks, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch,
Appetizers

-= Ingredients =-
16 ounces eggplant ; - 1 large
3 cloves garlic ; minced
1/4 cup tahini ; (sesame seed paste)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

-= Instructions =-
Pierce the eggplant all over 30 to 40 times with a toothpick or small
skewer. Roast on a grill or under a broiler for 15-20 minutes until charred
and softened. Then, turn once to char and soften the second side. Cool to
room temperature.

Slice the eggplant into halves vertically. Scoop out the flesh and place in
a food processor. Add a little of the charred skin, the garlic, tahini,
lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth.

Serve with pita crisps or veggies for dipping.

Adapted from recipe by: Chef Terry Conlan of Lake Austin Spa

** Recipe posted at: www.bigoven.com/recipe160496 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Pete Romfh wrote:
> Pete Romfh wrote:
>> ankalime wrote:
>>> I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly
>>> eggplant recipes out there? Pete?
>>>
>>> Cindy

>> I'll look through some of my books.
>>
>> Probably Baba Ganoush will work.

> The orginally posted recipe is pretty close to Baba
> Ganoush, a Middle Eastern eggplant dish.
> Here's a version from a friend of mine who's the
> Executive Chef at a 5-star spa resort.
>
> -= Exported from BigOven =-
>
> Baba Ghanoush
>
> An excellent party dip that's diabetic-friendly
>
> Recipe By: Pete Romfh
> Serving Size: 48
> Cuisine: Middle Eastern
> Main Ingredient: Eggplants
> Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Atkins-Friendly,
> Vegetarian, Meatless, Low Fat, Roast, Simple - Easy,
> Vegetables, Snacks, Hors dOeuvres, Brunch, Appetizers
>
> -= Ingredients =-
> 16 ounces eggplant ; - 1 large
> 3 cloves garlic ; minced
> 1/4 cup tahini ; (sesame seed paste)
> 3 tablespoons lemon juice
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>
> -= Instructions =-
> Pierce the eggplant all over 30 to 40 times with a
> toothpick or small skewer. Roast on a grill or under a
> broiler for 15-20 minutes until charred and softened.
> Then, turn once to char and soften the second side. Cool
> to room temperature.
>
> Slice the eggplant into halves vertically. Scoop out the
> flesh and place in a food processor. Add a little of the
> charred skin, the garlic, tahini, lemon juice, salt and
> cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth.
>
> Serve with pita crisps or veggies for dipping.
>
> Adapted from recipe by: Chef Terry Conlan of Lake Austin
> Spa
>

> ** Recipe posted at: www.bigoven.com/recipe160496 **
> ** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

The nutrition analysis for this is:

Each (1 Tbs) serving contains an estimated:
Cals: 9, FatCals: 0, TotalFat: 0
Chol: 0mg, Na: 151mg, K: 67mg
Total Carbs: 2g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 1g
NetCarbs: 2g, Protein: 0g

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"ankalime" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought to do it with
> eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is preserved lemon?

It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and salt
in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before you use
it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy, somehow -
and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind and all. I
use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of savoury dishes.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "ankalime" > wrote in message
> What is preserved lemon?
>

> It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and salt
> in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before you use
> it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy, somehow -
> and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind and all. I
> use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of savoury dishes.
>
> Nicky.

I do it to limes as well as lemons. Nothing better in guacamole than
preserved lime.

Flora
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Flora" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> "ankalime" > wrote in message What is preserved lemon?
>>

>> It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and
>> salt in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before
>> you use it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy,
>> somehow - and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind
>> and all. I use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of
>> savoury dishes.
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> I do it to limes as well as lemons. Nothing better in guacamole than
> preserved lime.

Oo! Nice idea - I'll try that!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ankalime > wrote:
: Nicky wrote:

: > All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame, turning it until
: > the skin is blackened all over and the eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it
: > into a bag and let it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
: > blackened skin off with your fingers.
: >
: > The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're left with lovely,
: > smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with a little preserved lemon, for a
: > low-carb, low-fat, high taste meal.

: I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought to do it with
: eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is preserved lemon?

: I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
: there? Pete?

: Cindy

I have a quick and dirty eggplant parmigian recipe I do all in the
microwave. Not an exact quantity kind of thing,but more of a method.

Wendy Q&D Microwave Eggplant Parmigian

1 eggplant, peeled or not, as yu choose, sliced into rounds0thinckness of
your choice.

1 scliced onion (optional)
1-3 cloves of garlic-smashed

1/2 o26 oz jar of marinara sauce , or other of your choice. (If you hav
ehome made .so much the better)

Extra herbs of yur choice -to gose up the jarred sauce

shredded or sliced mozarella cheese- amount of your choice
Grated parmigian (I grate my own with my microplane)

Olive oil or oil spray

oil or spray an up to 13-9 pyrex dish. put in sliced eggplant, spraying
or oiling each layer skimpily and interspuring it with the onions and
garlic. Cover tightly and microwave, tightly covered, on high until the
eggplant and onions are soft. It may take a few shots of 3 or more
minutes to get it to the softness you desire. Add herbs, and sauce and
top with the two cheeses and microwave for about 2 min, covered, on high.

That's all! Serve it with a large green salad with a nice vinegrette or
other dreessign of yur choice. If you have non-diabetics around, give
them some crusty bread and/or a side of spachetti. There should be enough
sauce floating round to suce the pasta.

Variation

If you want to make this like a kind of low carb lasagna, add ricotta
cheese between the layers of the eggplant and, if you like use a
meat-based sauce. You can slice the eggplant lengthwise for this if you
like to look more like noodles.

Wendy Baker

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:

: "ankalime" > wrote in message
: oups.com...
: > I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought to do it with
: > eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is preserved lemon?

: It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and salt
: in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before you use
: it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy, somehow -
: and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind and all. I
: use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of savoury dishes.

: Nicky.

: --
: A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
: 1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
: 95/73/72Kg

How much do you use? I found the one time I used a bought one that it was
so salty the dish was almost inedible.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
> : It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and
> salt
> : in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before you
> use
> : it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy,
> somehow -
> : and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind and all.
> : use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of savoury dishes.
>
> How much do you use? I found the one time I used a bought one that it was
> so salty the dish was almost inedible.

The jar I'm using at the moment has lemons just a bit bigger than golfballs.
I'd use one for a lemon-and-olive chicken, and perhaps a quarter for a
single eggplant. It's a bit difficult to tell on the eggplant, cos I nibble
as I go : ) I also sometimes stick some lemons and some olive oil in the
blender and make a paste; about a half a teaspoon of paste in some mayo or
guacamole makes a nice change.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Wendy Q&D Microwave Eggplant Parmigian

This sounds great for those times when I want a quick eggplant fix, I'll
definitely try it.

I have done the eggplant lasagna thing, but I broil the lengthwise slices
before layering, which is kind of a pain. But the result is really good.

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Flora" > wrote in message
> Nicky wrote:
>> It's a Moroccan idea - you can make them yourself by packing lemons and
>> salt in a jar, leaving it a few weeks, then rinsing the brine off before
>> you use it. It makes the lemons less astringent and a little bit spicy,
>> somehow - and has big advantages nutritionally, because you eat the rind
>> and all. I use it often, for a little bit of lemon in all kinds of
>> savoury dishes.
>>
>> Nicky.
>>

> I do it to limes as well as lemons. Nothing better in guacamole than
> preserved lime.
>
> Flora

These both sound great. I googled for preserved lemon recipes and came up
with a million recipes for chicken tagine with olives and preserved lemon
(which I think someone mentioned in another post). My husband doesn't like
olives though, so I'm going to try it without. We both love spicy dishes and
the recipes I've looked at look like they'd be easy on the blood glucose, if
I leave out the rice for myself.

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andrea2 wrote:
> That is how my Japanese mother fixed them. After removing the skins
> she cut them into long strips and ate them with soy sauce, ground
> ginger root and a dash of red pepper.
>
> I sometimes fix them that way when I have the grill going. Other times
> I put them in a hot oven. I always use the Japanese eggplant, long
> skinny ones, I don't think the big round ones would cook in the
> middle.

My mom is Japanese also. I don't remember her ever making eggplant that
way, but for sure, there were few dishes she didn't eat with soy sauce,
ground ginger and red pepper.

I do recall her fixing a dish of tiny little eggplants; I think she
roasted them -- perhaps with miso -- and they were just wonderful. I
never got the recipe though. I don't think I could find eggplants that
small around here, either, but I'd be willing to put a few in the
garden if I knew what to do with them. Maybe I'll try growing some of
the Japanese eggplant.

A Japanese restaurant I used to frequent years ago had an appetizer
that consisted of a single eggplant slice about 3/4 inch thick (a
crosswise slice, not a lengthwise slice). It had the skin still on and
was brushed with sesame oil and broiled and served hot with a dipping
sauce of mashed avocado blended with sesame oil, soy sauce and maybe
some rice vinegar (I'm guessing here...). Good stuff, but again... I
don't have a recipe. I guess I should do some experimentation in the
kitchen.

Cindy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"ankalime" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
> there? Pete?

I used to make Eggplant Rollatine, but can't eat it now with my allergies.
I don't have an actual recipe here. I just sort of winged it, but it seems
to be a very forgiving recipe.

Slice the eggplant lengthwise into about 1/4" slices. Coat each slice with
olive oil using a brush or sprayer. Or just put the olive oil straight in
the skillet if you're not concerned with the fat content. Cook until
browned and slightly soft. Cool enough to handle.

Make a filling of ricotta cheese, stiffened with an egg beaten in. You can
add any other Italian cheeses to this that you like. Or you can use just
the ricotta. If you don't have ricotta, use cottage cheese. You can add
parsley or a little chopped spinach to this if you like.

Spread a little seasoned tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Then
put the slices of eggplant in one at a time, adding a spoonful of the
filling to each and rolling up. Put the end underneath so it doesn't
unroll. Leave a bit of space between each roll because they'll expand a bit
as they bake. Top with more tomato sauce and some grated Italian cheese.
Then bake until the cheese is hot and bubble.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "ankalime" > wrote in message
: oups.com...

: > I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
: > there? Pete?

: I used to make Eggplant Rollatine, but can't eat it now with my allergies.
: I don't have an actual recipe here. I just sort of winged it, but it seems
: to be a very forgiving recipe.

Julie,
Couldn't you make the filling with interestignly flavored sauteed
vegetables, onions, muchrooms, pepers, etc? You could also use some
choped meat of your choice with those vegetables.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> Julie,
> Couldn't you make the filling with interestignly flavored sauteed
> vegetables, onions, muchrooms, pepers, etc? You could also use some
> choped meat of your choice with those vegetables.

I suppose it could be made but the reason I ate this was for the cheese. I
don't really like eggplant, but smothering it in cheese made it tasty. I'm
sure I wouldn't care for it at all without the cheese. And since nobody
else in the family liked it there is no point in making it.

--
See my webpage:

cooking eggplant Phil General Cooking 4 02-02-2010 01:54 AM
Eggplant [email protected] General Cooking 16 19-06-2009 05:35 PM
Me and my eggplant Felice General Cooking 3 01-03-2009 04:21 PM
eggplant cooking asdf General Cooking 19 17-01-2007 06:03 PM
Sweating eggplant & gender of eggplant Dee Randall General Cooking 10 11-01-2004 10:46 PM