Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default New way for cooking eggplant

ankalime > wrote:
: Nicky wrote:

: > All you do is to cook the whole eggplant on a gas flame, turning it until
: > the skin is blackened all over and the eggplant has shrunk a little. Pop it
: > into a bag and let it steam until it's cool enough to handle; pull the
: > blackened skin off with your fingers.
: >
: > The whole process takes only about 5 minutes, and you're left with lovely,
: > smoky flesh. I've been mixing it with a little preserved lemon, for a
: > low-carb, low-fat, high taste meal.

: I've done that with peppers of course, but never thought to do it with
: eggplant. It sounds delicious... What is preserved lemon?

: I LOVE eggplant. Any other good diabetic-friendly eggplant recipes out
: there? Pete?

: Cindy

I have a quick and dirty eggplant parmigian recipe I do all in the
microwave. Not an exact quantity kind of thing,but more of a method.

Wendy Q&D Microwave Eggplant Parmigian

1 eggplant, peeled or not, as yu choose, sliced into rounds0thinckness of
your choice.

1 scliced onion (optional)
1-3 cloves of garlic-smashed

1/2 o26 oz jar of marinara sauce , or other of your choice. (If you hav
ehome made .so much the better)

Extra herbs of yur choice -to gose up the jarred sauce

shredded or sliced mozarella cheese- amount of your choice
Grated parmigian (I grate my own with my microplane)

Olive oil or oil spray

oil or spray an up to 13-9 pyrex dish. put in sliced eggplant, spraying
or oiling each layer skimpily and interspuring it with the onions and
garlic. Cover tightly and microwave, tightly covered, on high until the
eggplant and onions are soft. It may take a few shots of 3 or more
minutes to get it to the softness you desire. Add herbs, and sauce and
top with the two cheeses and microwave for about 2 min, covered, on high.

That's all! Serve it with a large green salad with a nice vinegrette or
other dreessign of yur choice. If you have non-diabetics around, give
them some crusty bread and/or a side of spachetti. There should be enough
sauce floating round to suce the pasta.

Variation

If you want to make this like a kind of low carb lasagna, add ricotta
cheese between the layers of the eggplant and, if you like use a
meat-based sauce. You can slice the eggplant lengthwise for this if you
like to look more like noodles.

Wendy Baker