Old 02-05-2005, 05:06 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:33:05 -0500, "EwwHww"
wrote:

DLynch wrote:
go for diet rite, sweetened with splenda, fruit flavors have no
caffiene.

Thank you very much. Will do.

Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
is exactly that - nonsense.

You are severely limiting your food sources as a diabetic.
Similarly, don't get too excited about caffeine unless you
are over-indulging significantly.

You have entered a new game on a new playing field. All bets
are off, you're starting from square one.

Lose your pre-conceptions, start with an open mind. Most of
the things you have been told about fats, carbs, alcohol,
diet, sweeteners, supplements etc over the earlier part of
your life were wrong.

But don't believe me. Do some research of your own, using
Medscape, Highwire, Google Scholar, and your own body.

Also check out subjects like sweeteners, herbals,
supplements etc on Snopes.com, quackwatch.com and similar
sites.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 AM
Alan S

On Sun, 1 May 2005 22:58:59 -0500, "EwwHww"
wrote:

Langerhans wrote:
EwwHww wrote:

It gives me the gitters, and I don't like the taste. Splenda tastes
better, IMO.

Plus, go he http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

and he http://www.321recipes.com/aspartame.html

ewwhww

Look for Pepsi One. It always used a mix of aspartame and
acesulfame-k, and strangely tasted like sugared Coke to me. Recent
new formulation is ace-k and splenda. While I love splenda, the old
Pepsi-1 tasted better to me. Worth a try, though.

Pepsi One has more caffeine than Mountain Dew. I have high blood pressure,
so... You know.

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Try a different slant. Forget, for the moment, why you have
high BP or what foods may (or may not) make it worse.

What are you doing to make it better? Diet (how)? Exercise?
Meds? Aspirin? Red Wine?

What did your doc recoommend you do, as against what you
shouldn't do?

The whole diet and drink controversy gets overheated
focussing on specific things, like caffeine, alcohol, sugar,
fats etc as "causing problems"; then we get an over-reaction
as people cut back obsessively on those substances.

Moderation is the name of the game. Neither too much, nor
too little. Extremes are the killer.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Siobhan Perricone

On Sun, 1 May 2005 16:08:05 -0500, "EwwHww" wrote:

Just learned that Pepsi One has more caffeine than most other drinks with
caffeine. Caffeine and high blood pressure don't mix too well. So, I am
looking for a good soft drink using Splenda and no caffeine. Can't use
nutra-sweet as it gives me the gitters, and I don't care for it.

All the flavours of Diet Rite soda use splenda and have no caffeine
(including their cola). Also, in our supermarket, they have fizzy,
flavoured, bottled water that uses splenda. We buy a lot of those. I think
Walmart has fizzy flavoured water that also uses splenda.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
Old 02-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:06:42 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

Similarly, don't get too excited about caffeine unless you
are over-indulging significantly.

Alan, Caffeine is a psychotropic in the same class as cocaine. *Some*
people react badly to it. I happen to be one who does. It also does
interact with some drugs and so it is suggested that people stop drinking
caffeinated drinks while on those meds.

Since you're not a qualfied doctor, perhaps you should be a little more
careful about what you tell people to "not get too excited" about.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Siobhan Perricone

On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:58:22 +1000, Alan S
wrote:

Try a different slant. Forget, for the moment, why you have
high BP or what foods may (or may not) make it worse.

What are you doing to make it better? Diet (how)? Exercise?
Meds? Aspirin? Red Wine?

What did your doc recoommend you do, as against what you
shouldn't do?

Where did you get your medical degree, Alan?

Old 02-05-2005, 12:06 PM
EwwHww

wrote:

Just learned that Pepsi One has more caffeine than most other drinks
with caffeine. Caffeine and high blood pressure don't mix too well.
So, I am looking for a good soft drink using Splenda and no
caffeine. Can't use nutra-sweet as it gives me the gitters, and I
don't care for it.

All the flavours of Diet Rite soda use splenda and have no caffeine
(including their cola). Also, in our supermarket, they have fizzy,
flavoured, bottled water that uses splenda. We buy a lot of those. I
think Walmart has fizzy flavoured water that also uses splenda.

Thank you. I have a Walmarts near me. I know about the Canada Dry drinks
that have just a dab of fruit flavor but no sweetners of any kind. they are
pretty tasty. But, I do enjoy a cola once in a while, and Diet Rite sounds
like just what the doctor ordered.

ewwhww

Old 02-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Alan S

wrote:

Try a different slant. Forget, for the moment, why you have
high BP or what foods may (or may not) make it worse.

What are you doing to make it better? Diet (how)? Exercise?
Meds? Aspirin? Red Wine?

What did your doc recoommend you do, as against what you
shouldn't do?

Where did you get your medical degree, Alan?

Hullo Siobhan

I didn't, never pretended to be qualified, and don't pretend
to now.

I presume you snipped that particular bit to show some sort
of emphasis. All I see is a series of questions, no
diagnoses, no prescriptions. I have no qualms in suggesting
that patients ask questions of their doctors about their
treatment.

I seem to have got up your nose with my other comment on
caffeine. You've made some personal anecdotal comments,
would you care to back them up with some cites or support?

I replied to Wayne earlier on a.s.d., which you don't post
on. In that reply I said:

"You've come to the right place, but remember that this is
an unmoderated newsgroup. Be careful who you listen to.
Including me:-)"

He will also have read the sig that I use below. I'm sure
you've seen me use it before too. Incidentally, I like your
sig.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
--
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience can be

Old 02-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Alan S

wrote:

Similarly, don't get too excited about caffeine unless you
are over-indulging significantly.

Alan, Caffeine is a psychotropic in the same class as cocaine. *Some*
people react badly to it. I happen to be one who does. It also does
interact with some drugs and so it is suggested that people stop drinking
caffeinated drinks while on those meds.

Since you're not a qualfied doctor, perhaps you should be a little more
careful about what you tell people to "not get too excited" about.

Hullo Siobhan

We all three know I'm not a doctor.

He said "Caffeine and high blood pressure don't mix too
well" and, later "Pepsi One has more caffeine than Mountain
Dew. I have high blood pressure, so... You know. "

Nowhere in there did he mention other problems from
caffeine, nor whether his concerns come from medical advice
or his own belief. Nor has he mentioned the volume of drink
involved. He may be unable to ingest caffeine, but he didn't
put it that way.

For me to say "don't get too excited about caffeine unless
you are over-indulging significantly" is hardly dramatic
medical advice. You have a problem - don't presume that
others have. I made a cautionary comment; repeatedly we
advise people on usenet to check everything said here with
their doctor.

You could have approached this dispassionately with a
contrary opinion - or with a personal attack, as you have.

Have I done something in the past to upset you on a personal
basis? If so, I don't remember it.

Alan, T2, Australia.

Old 02-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Jennifer

I love the Diet Rite cola.

Even over Pepsi and Coke.

It is caffiene free and uses Splenda. Tastes great to my taste buds!

Jennifer

Old 02-05-2005, 08:56 PM
EwwHww

DLynch wrote:
go for diet rite, sweetened with splenda, fruit flavors have no
caffiene.

I just had my first Diet Rite cola. Wow, it is great. Thank you for the
heads up on this. Later I will try each and every variety of their other
flavored drinks.

Thanks again,
ewwhww

Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
EwwHww

wrote:

Just learned that Pepsi One has more caffeine than most other drinks
with caffeine. Caffeine and high blood pressure don't mix too well.
So, I am looking for a good soft drink using Splenda and no
caffeine. Can't use nutra-sweet as it gives me the gitters, and I
don't care for it.

All the flavours of Diet Rite soda use splenda and have no caffeine
(including their cola). Also, in our supermarket, they have fizzy,
flavoured, bottled water that uses splenda. We buy a lot of those. I
think Walmart has fizzy flavoured water that also uses splenda.

I just tried it, and I love it. thanks.

ewwhww

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom."
"Love your neighbor as you love yourself."
"Render good for evil, and blessings for cursings."
"Love your enemies."

Old 02-05-2005, 09:15 PM
RR

Jennifer wrote:

I love the Diet Rite cola.

Even over Pepsi and Coke.

It is caffiene free and uses Splenda. Tastes great to my taste buds!

Jennifer

Any idea which company bottles (cans) this stuff? Can't say as I've
ever seen it in stores in my area (Southern Ontario, Canada).
The only Splenda sweetened soft drinks I can find are Crush Orange and
Crush Cream Soda by Cadbury Beverages. I'm not big on cream soda so it
really limits me.
Ross
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Sherry

Langerhans wrote in
:

snip

Look for Pepsi One. It always used a mix of aspartame and
acesulfame-k, and strangely tasted like sugared Coke to me. Recent
new formulation is ace-k and splenda. While I love splenda, the old
Pepsi-1 tasted better to me. Worth a try, though.

It's been so long since I've had a sugared soda, I wouldn't know what
one tastes like!

I like the bubbly aspect of a soda, like well mixed fountain sodas over
bottles or cans and bottles have a different taste than cans. Can't
figure out why that would be. I think they're a little more bubbly.

Love good clear sparkling mineral water with no sweeteners!

Sherry
Old 02-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Sherry

Aaron wrote in
news:[email protected]:

snip

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/su...e_products.htm

I do not claim to know this person's stand on Splenda (Dr. Joseph
Mercola) I merely did a google search for "splenda carbonated
beverage" and picked a site that did not blatantly call it poison.
There was another that was the exact same list (who ripped off
whom??) with skulls and cross bones.

BTW, I use Splenda and like it.

Cracks me up - aspartame is poison, splenda is poison, sugar is
poison.... ye gads! Maybe all soft drinks should have a skull & cross
bones on them g

Of course, there's nothing like a good clean glass of water - if it's
not polluted (and most water, including bottled, has some unhealthy
chemicals in it!)

Sherry