Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Diet Coke w/Splenda, no aspartame

It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
yet?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:35*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ....
yet?

Nope.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 3, 2:35*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ....
yet?

Splenda is different from other sweeteners in that it claims to be
‘made from sugar,’ and ‘natural,’ because Splenda is the trade name
for sucralose. Sucralose is a synthetic compound, which — without
going into too much scientific detail –is basically sugar modified by
adding chlorine atoms. Sucralose, incidentally, was discovered in the
1970s by researchers looking to create a new pesticide. Chlorine is
added to many products – drinking water, for example – and does not
necessarily render the product dangerous. On the other hand, you are
ingesting chlorine, which is not advised in large amounts.

The reason Splenda produces no calories, is that the majority passes
through the body without being digested. Most studies show that only
around 15% of Splenda is actually digested. The worrisome fact for
some researchers is that people with healthier GI systems, will absorb
more of the Splenda, and thus more of the dangerous chlorine.

The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil
Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that
test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken
thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only
short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda
was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is
being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
consumers as the test rodents.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote

[...] One could say that the long-term study is
being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
consumers as the test rodents.\

Thanks for this great response. Are you a chemist? I saved it and will pass
it on.
We stopped using aspartame because of the studies that suggest that it is
linked
with brain tumors and strokes. I know it would be better to just use sugared
soda
if I have to have soda, but after years of diet soda, sugared sodas have a
weird
aftertaste to me, and make my teeth feel "dirty."

Old 04-06-2010, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote

No long term studies were performed before Splenda

was approved by the FDA.

P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
yet?

I haven't read anything about Splenda causing any serious problems yet,
but I also haven't read anything about Aspartame causing any serious
problems either.

The only substantiated issue I've read of with Aspartame is it causing
blind spots in individuals who are both very susceptible to Methanol and
also consuming extremely high doses of Aspartame.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious problems ...
yet?

No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.

gloria p
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:

cybercat wrote:
It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious
problems ... yet?

No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.

gloria p

To me, it tastes MUCH better than saccharin. I'm one of the people for
whom saccharin tastes bitter.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 6:58*pm, ImStillMags wrote:
The results of the tests done by Splenda’s manufacturers, McNeil
Nutritionals, are also quite worrisome. Their studies revealed that
test rodents suffered from dangerous side effects such as shrunken
thymus glands, and enlarged livers and kidneys … and there were only
short term studies. No long term studies were performed before Splenda
was approved by the FDA. One could say that the long-term study is
being conducted in households and supermarkets across America, with
consumers as the test rodents.

It's normal for the thymus gland to shrink when you become an adult.
It's suppose to do that.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote in message ...

| "ImStillMags" wrote
|
| No long term studies were performed before Splenda
| was approved by the FDA.
|
| P.S.--I think the FDA must be capable of being bought off or something. Its
| main function seems to be to keep drugs people really need off the market
| while approving dangerous shit for our foodstuffs.

I've thought that since the early days when cyclamates flavored all
of the soft drinks. Then there were aspartames, and god-knows-whats,
and saccharine and sucralose and now Splenda, which may or may
not be "natural" sweeteners. My son grew up on cyclamates until we
learned they were carcinogens, then onto controlled sugar, which
at least didn't poison him. This is all, of course, bullshit. We do not
yet have a safe sweetener, but a touch of sugar can go a long way
towards solving the need for sweet without going sickeningly sweet in
the process. The latest is Stevia. Bleah. Just reduce the amount of
sugar you use, over a year or so, then use a tiny bit to reduce the
bitterness in some stuff. I agree, someone is buying something.

pavane

Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" wrote in message
gloria.p wrote:

cybercat wrote:
It's good stuff. Anyone read that Spenda is causing any serious
problems ... yet?

No, but it doesn't taste much better than the other artificial
sweeteners. I'd rather drink ice water or unsweetened ice tea.

gloria p

To me, it tastes MUCH better than saccharin. I'm one of the people for
whom saccharin tastes bitter.

Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

It has an aftertaste.

gloria p
Old 04-06-2010, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 12:12*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
cybercat wrote:

Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

It has an aftertaste.

gloria p

It has an after taste to me too Gloria. The few times I drink sodas,
it is full sugared. All of the synthetic or molecularly altered crap
tastes bad to me.
Nan in DE
Old 04-06-2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

It has an aftertaste.

That's what they say. I can taste it with aspartame and god knows with
saccharine, but not with Splenda.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2010 3:21 AM, cybercat wrote:
Me too. I was floored that others can tell the difference between Splenda
and sugar, I really can't.

Splenda tastes like sugar, to me. Some people have an after taste, but
I am lucky, I don't. I found out about Splenda in this group. It
wasn't approved in the US so I ordered it from Australia. They came two
boxes at a time. I later found liquid Splenda in Brazil. I should have
bought more of it home, it was so inexpensive.

Becca