Tiger Lily

oh good it's not just me

and i have the same problem with all peppers
except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of them
or i have trouble)

same problems your wife has

i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!

kate

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S" >
wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:47:27 -0500, Sherry
> > wrote:
>
> >Alan S >

wrote in

:

> ><snip>
> >>
> >> Can't argue with that - individual allergies

are always a
> >> problem for any food item. You've done it

correctly, by
> >> elimination with medical supervision.

Similarly, my wife
> >> cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make

it wrong or
> >> dangerous for the great majority of those

considering
> >> whether tomatoes should be part of their

diet. <snip>
> >> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

> >Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the

tomato?

> >I always wondered - the rest of the plant is

poisonous (as is the
> >potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they

discovered that part of
> >the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to

keep trying the other
> >parts until they found the part that wasn't???
> >
> >Sherry

> She has a unique gastric system (I hope she

never reads
> this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats

them with
> the skin on they just come back up in little

bits for an
> hour or two. No discomfort or medical

difficulties, but
> rather disconcerting.
>
> So, when making a salad we've developed

techniques for
> skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of

boiling water
> for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water

before
> peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of

general food
> preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off

a cold
> tomato for my salad and she has the rest.
>
> So, I understand why those who have a particular

allergy may
> tend to see that it applies to all; but that's

no truer than
> that carbs will spike everyone - she is

non-diabetic and
> loves her potatoes and pasta and never has BGs

above
> 5.5(100). And we have both been drinking copious

quantities
> of aspartame-sweetened soft drinks for over

three years.