Gabe

Diet Rite is caffeine free and made with splenda. It has several flavors
including cola.
"EwwHww" > wrote in message
news
> Tiger Lily wrote:
> > Diet Pepsi Caffiene free
> >
> > available at your grocery........ or ask them for
> > it if they don't carry it yet
> >
> > kate
> >

> Thanks Kate. At the stores in Fort Worth, the only Diet Pepsi that is
> caffeine free uses Aspartame, and I can't have that.
>
> Wayne

Gabe

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
> is exactly that - nonsense.

Alan,
If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 19:56:48 GMT, "Gabe"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
>> is exactly that - nonsense.

>Alan,
>If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
>adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
>a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
>is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
>We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
>diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
>tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

Hi Gabe

Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
dangerous for the great majority of those considering
whether tomatoes should be part of their diet.

My comment was concerning "the nonsense written about
aspartame" attributing most of the world's ills to this
substance; most of the nonsense originates from the
followers of a particular fanatical source. Gradually, the
lie becomes part of general belief.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Sherry

Alan S > wrote in
:

<snip>

> Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
> problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
> elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
> cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
> dangerous for the great majority of those considering
> whether tomatoes should be part of their diet. <snip>
> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the tomato?

I always wondered - the rest of the plant is poisonous (as is the
potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they discovered that part of
the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to keep trying the other
parts until they found the part that wasn't???

Sherry
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:47:27 -0500, Sherry

:

><snip>
>>
>> Can't argue with that - individual allergies are always a
>> problem for any food item. You've done it correctly, by
>> elimination with medical supervision. Similarly, my wife
>> cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make it wrong or
>> dangerous for the great majority of those considering
>> whether tomatoes should be part of their diet. <snip>
>> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

>Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the tomato?
>
>I always wondered - the rest of the plant is poisonous (as is the
>potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they discovered that part of
>the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to keep trying the other
>parts until they found the part that wasn't???
>
>Sherry

She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
rather disconcerting.

So, when making a salad we've developed techniques for
skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of boiling water
for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water before
peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of general food
preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off a cold
tomato for my salad and she has the rest.

So, I understand why those who have a particular allergy may
tend to see that it applies to all; but that's no truer than
that carbs will spike everyone - she is non-diabetic and
loves her potatoes and pasta and never has BGs above
5.5(100). And we have both been drinking copious quantities
of aspartame-sweetened soft drinks for over three years.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Tiger Lily

oh good it's not just me

and i have the same problem with all peppers
except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of them
or i have trouble)

same problems your wife has

i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!

kate

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Alan S" >
wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:47:27 -0500, Sherry
> > wrote:
>
> >Alan S >

wrote in

:

> ><snip>
> >>
> >> Can't argue with that - individual allergies

are always a
> >> problem for any food item. You've done it

correctly, by
> >> elimination with medical supervision.

Similarly, my wife
> >> cannot eat tomato skin, but that doesn't make

it wrong or
> >> dangerous for the great majority of those

considering
> >> whether tomatoes should be part of their

diet. <snip>
> >> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

> >Tomato *skin*? Can she eat the rest of the

tomato?

> >I always wondered - the rest of the plant is

poisonous (as is the
> >potato plant, except for the tuber) - when they

discovered that part of
> >the plant was poisonous, who was dumb enough to

keep trying the other
> >parts until they found the part that wasn't???
> >
> >Sherry

> She has a unique gastric system (I hope she

never reads
> this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats

them with
> the skin on they just come back up in little

bits for an
> hour or two. No discomfort or medical

difficulties, but
> rather disconcerting.
>
> So, when making a salad we've developed

techniques for
> skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of

boiling water
> for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water

before
> peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of

general food
> preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off

a cold
> tomato for my salad and she has the rest.
>
> So, I understand why those who have a particular

allergy may
> tend to see that it applies to all; but that's

no truer than
> that carbs will spike everyone - she is

non-diabetic and
> loves her potatoes and pasta and never has BGs

above
> 5.5(100). And we have both been drinking copious

quantities
> of aspartame-sweetened soft drinks for over

three years.

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Sherry

Alan S > wrote in
:

<snip>
> She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
> this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
> the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
> hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
> rather disconcerting.

<snip>
> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Well, I guess I can understand that. When my son was really little, I
can't remember what he had to eat for dinner, but the next morning, I
found "urped" olives in his bed - that's all that came back up! Too
weird!

Sherry
Alan S

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:16:02 -0600, "Tiger Lily"
> wrote:

>oh good it's not just me
>
>and i have the same problem with all peppers
>except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of them
>or i have trouble)
>
>same problems your wife has
>
>i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!
>
>kate

Hi Kate

Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
metformin I'm told.

Hmmmm..

Anyway, I hope I helped in how to peel a tomato:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Damsel

Alan S > said:

>She has a unique gastric system (I hope she never reads
>this). Skinned tomatoes are OK, but if she eats them with
>the skin on they just come back up in little bits for an
>hour or two. No discomfort or medical difficulties, but
>rather disconcerting.
>
>So, when making a salad we've developed techniques for
>skinning, like putting the tomato in a mug of boiling water
>for a few minutes, then dunking it in cold water before
>peeling. It becomes just an accepted part of general food
>preparation. Alternatively, I cut the skins off a cold
>tomato for my salad and she has the rest.

My sweetie has the exact same problem. Thanks for sharing your peeling
technique!

Carol
Sherry

Alan S > wrote in
:
<Snip>

> Hi Kate
>
> Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
> only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
> to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
> peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
> metformin I'm told.

Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.

"Bell peppers are not ‘hot’. They contain a recessive gene which
eliminates capsaisin, the compound responsible for the ‘hotness’ found
in other peppers."
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

Similar to metformin??? How's that?

Sherry

Tiger Lily

you helped in the how to peel a tomatoe

now......... i can eat EVERY other kind of pepper
except for bell peppers (unless they are FRESH
ORANGE ONES)

go figure (urp urp urp)

kate
--

wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:16:02 -0600, "Tiger Lily"
> > wrote:
>
> >oh good it's not just me
> >
> >and i have the same problem with all peppers
> >except orange peppers (and don'tcook ANY of

them
> >or i have trouble)
> >
> >same problems your wife has
> >
> >i wonder what is in the skin that causes it!
> >
> >kate

> Hi Kate
>
> Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know

she's not the
> only one, without letting her know I broadcast

her situation
> to the world. She also has a problem with

capsicum (bell
> peppers), but the symptoms are different.

Similar to
> metformin I'm told.
>
> Hmmmm..
>
> Anyway, I hope I helped in how to peel a

tomato:-)

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

ted rosenberg

It is nonsense
exhaustive double blind tests have failed to find ANYONE who has
problems with Aspartame.

Many people have problems with caffeine, others have psychosomatic
reactions when they THINK they are getting Aspartame, but there are no
confirmed reactions of any kind, and people have been trying for years.

Gabe wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>
>>Do what you like - but the nonsense written about aspartame
>>is exactly that - nonsense.

> Alan,
> If aspartame doesn't bother you then use it but it does affect some people
> adversely. It is not nonsense. I agree saying that it will cause everyone
> a problem is nonsense but to say it will not cause problems in some people
> is wrong. Both my daughter and I cannot tolerate aspartame in any form.
> We have done diet elimination and every time we add aspartame back to our
> diet we have problem. For us we will avoid aspartame. She also cannot
> tolerate Splenda so she is out of luck. Very chemically sensitive.

--
"...in addition to being foreign territory the past is, as history, a
hall of mirrors that reflect the needs of souls observing from the present"
None Given

"Sherry" > wrote in message
. 97.142...

> Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.

Capsicum is the name for bell peppers in Australia

Alan S

On Mon, 30 May 2005 12:53:48 -0500, Sherry

:
><Snip>
>>
>> Hi Kate
>>
>> Now I'm trying to work out how to let her know she's not the
>> only one, without letting her know I broadcast her situation
>> to the world. She also has a problem with capsicum (bell
>> peppers), but the symptoms are different. Similar to
>> metformin I'm told.

>Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili peppers.
>
>"Bell peppers are not ‘hot’. They contain a recessive gene which
>eliminates capsaisin, the compound responsible for the ‘hotness’ found
>in other peppers."
>http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50
>

>Similar to metformin??? How's that?
>
>Sherry

Regional nomenclature.

The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
fleshy and sweet, not hot.

And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
GI tract, not on BGs.

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
> They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
> fleshy and sweet, not hot.
>
> And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
> metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
> GI tract, not on BGs.

Hmmm. Bell peppers and metformin both can affect me gaseously but in
two different directions.

Priscilla
--
"Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

Sherry

Alan S > wrote in
:

<snip>
>>Capsaicin in bell peppers???? Hmm. That's the "hot" to chili
>>peppers.

<snip>

>>Similar to metformin??? How's that?
>>
>>Sherry

> Regional nomenclature.
>
> The vegetable you call "Bell Pepper" we call "Capsicum".
> They are part of the same family, but as you say, they are
> fleshy and sweet, not hot.
>
> And I was attempting to be discreet as to the "similar to
> metformin". Think about the early stage effects, but on the
> GI tract, not on BGs.
>

> Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.

Ah, ok - I was thinking that you had just misspelled "capsaisin" and
was saying that capsaisin was what affected your wife.... Thanks for
the clarification.

Never had any side effects to metformin so I wouldn't *even* begin to
think of GI effects in relation to the drug!

Sherry