Old 02-10-2014, 11:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

"Bjørn Steensrud" wrote in message
Todd wrote:

On 10/01/2014 08:32 PM, W. Baker wrote:

You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making
sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept
my
views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of
recipes
and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is
not
crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
last
17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage
may vary."

Wendy,

To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
politely disagreeing with me.

This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
Your are under a Chemical Haze.

Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.

So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.

-T

Todd,

Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
"separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of
that
language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
vividly.

Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.

One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.
Over here there are tiny two-plate ranges with small ovens available,
suitable for a studio apartment or a summer cabin. One of those might
solve
many of your cooking problems.

Bjørn
T2, 72 yo, bmi 23

He said that he can only do certain kinds of cooking due to some medical
problem that his wife has. I think it was respiratory.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/01/2014 04:59 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: Hi Ian,

: Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
: (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
: it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
: on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
: drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
: my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
: to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.

I find this strange as I have been on Metformin now for some 17-18
years
with none of the effects you, tidd, have experienced. I will grant that
some peol ehave bad results with different drugs, but one's own personal
bad experience may well NOT be universal. If a drug causes problems
for
you you you should no be taking it, but that does nt mean that other
folk
should stop taking it if it works adn does not cause them your smptoms.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
The depression (crabbiness) and delusional paranoia creep up on you.

That isn't the Metformin - its the lack of some other drug that you
*SHOULD* be taking.

*Claps*

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

What a piece of work you are.

Yes he is. And here I thought he had left.

I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
either killfiled,

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

True.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/02/2014 10:47 AM, Ian Field wrote:
I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
either killfiled,

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

Hi Ian,

********.

People disagree with me all the time and I don't kill file
them. I love to learn other viewpoints. You and me are
on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Have I
killfiled you?

I only kill file someone when you don't act like a
gentleman or lady.

Hmmmmm. "Attitude problem". Perhaps this is the Meformin
speaking? Are you still able to sleep? Any weird spots on
your skin yet? Hair start falling out? Think people are
picking on you? Those Tories seem to be hating poor folks
more and more every day?

I had no clue I was acting this way under Met. I
did not believe for one minute that it was all
of my own doing when others around me complained
about me. I was a classic Met Head

You have no clue you are acting this way *now*!

I did lose some hair but I highly doubt it was from Metformin. More likely
it was the statin as that is a known side effect but... I went to a get
together with people I used to work with and haven't seen for almost 20
years. And I was surprised to see that most of the women also had hair loss
similar to mine. So it may well just be age. Because I'm sure that all of
those with hair loss are not diabetic and/or on the same meds that I am/was.

I have always had weird spots on my skin. I have psoriasis and eczema.
Possibly rosacea although that has never been diagnosed. It's just that I
described the spots that I sometimes get on my face to someone and they said
that was what it was.

You, Todd, can't seem to tell when someone is joking around. I think all of
your low carb dieting has knocked all of the humor right out of you.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
it.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/02/2014 10:51 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Dear Todd. Sorry for the top post here but you are having delusions.
It wasn't the Metformin. Seek help!

A quick search for; "antipsychotics" came up with Olanzepine, and a
couple of others I couldn't pronounce.

Hi Ian,

You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
your own.

Speaking of friends: there are three types.

1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped

2) those that will

3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
else in the room.

Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
ask him if you have changed.

You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
is a thing of the past.

-T

Did Ian think that I was picking on him? No. I am agreeing with him. And
Wendy, and Karen... You need help Todd.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
definitely a hole in the bag!

One taco short of a combination plate.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Can we say "chemical haze"?

Notice not one insult out of me in this conversation? Seriously,
this may be the Metformin speaking and not you. I do hope
so and you are not like this normally.

Before I got off of Met, I would have flew off the handle. Kind
of like you are doing now.

-T

Ian is not flying off the handle. And you would not have flew. You would
have flown.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there,
no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories
can line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.

Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat
of insulin never too far away!

Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

I don't know what country you're in, but do you have canned beans there?
They are really not that much more expensive than dried. Can you get
fresh beans? I can't here. Since you have an Asian store, can you get
bean sprouts?

Generally I go in there mostly for spices, they're a *LOT* cheaper than
"name brand" little jars, usually I only notice odd items of food that I
think would work out a huge saving if I knew how to prepare it.

Maybe as much as 1/4 of their stock is dried beans & pulses etc. A lot of
the (presumably vegetables of some sort) I don't even know what they're
called.

Ah, okay. Somewhat different then our stores here then.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Don Roberto" wrote in message
On 9/30/2014 8:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy
one.

Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.

Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased my
Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar
"under control".

That's rather sad and scary. You should be able to test, particularly since
you are on medication. How would you know if you had a hypo?

Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/02/2014 11:06 AM, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you are on track.

Have you though of backing off on the carbs and see if your
blood sugar goes down?

Here in the States, Walmart has great prices on meters and
supplies.

How did they test your blood sugar? Meter? A1c? Fructosamine?
The A1c is really sloppy. Off by about +- 25%. (I will
provide a paper on that to who ever asks nicely.)

-T

The A1c isn't sloppy.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:52:07 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
it.

The funny/sad thing about it is that back then he said I was acting
very unladylike and that I should behave more like Wendy. Now, he's
turned on her, because she dared to disagree with him. He alienates
people, then tries to blame them, and or the medications they may be
taking. The only thing I take is thyroid replacement and something
for GERD. No metformin. He takes no metformin and behaves exactly
like all the attributes he claims it causes.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/02/2014 06:31 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: :
: :
[...]
: : You may not be aware of it. I certainly was not aware of it
until
: : I got off it. I truly though everyone was picking on me. When
: : I got off it, oh boy, did I have a lot of apologizing to do.
: : You have shown signs of the crabbiness to me in the past. The
: : way you can figure it out is to ask someone close to you that you
: : can trust to give you the unvarnished truth if you have become
: : a crabass.
:
: : People that can not longer sleep had it sneak up on them too.
: : They have said in blogs they never recovered and were not
: : able to sleep again.
:
: : And don't forget the rebound effect. Met is an allopathic
drug,
: : meaning it is a controlled dosage of a poison meant to cause
: : a desired reaction. This can save your life. But over the long
run,
: : your body will rebound to it. My blood sugar dropped each time
: : I backed off on the stuff.
:
: : You have been on Met for a long time and know how to cook
: : low(er) carb. You may be healed by now and not need it. If
: : you get off it to see, be careful when the "dark curtain" lifts.
: : You might suddenly start enjoying things and people around you.
:
: : :-)
:
: : -T
:
: I am not regarded as a crabby person and at 78 am active and happy,
having
: adjusted to the loss of my husban now 4 years ago. Healed I am not
and I
: was off the Met for a few weeks this summer when Ihad a stomach upset
that
: was not severe, but was prolonged. I was taken off pretty much al my
Met
: adn was also eating remarkably little, so little that I lost 15 lbs
in a
: few week(3-4) I am now back onthe Met and am tryign to maintain the
: weight loss which was the first time since my big weigt oss of 30
years
: ago, thata I have moved below the weight I attained then. So fa I am
: fairly successful, bu , of couse, it requires daily weighing of me to
not
: let a small gain turn into a large one. Unfortuantley m appetite is
back.

: Sounds like you have it in hand.

: How was your blood sugar when you were off Met for a week?

No change as I was eating remarkably little food. How else do you think
los 15 pounds in a few weeks after maaintaining the sme weight for over
30? half a banan a piece of toast, a third of an apple and home made
chichen sop with some rice. that's bout what I would eat and couldn't
manage more and was haaving the loose bowels. When i went back on the
Metformin my stomach was fine and as my apetite increased, I had to watch
the carbs, as I usually do. I was also rather happier and not crabby at
all as I no longer ws suffering from stomach distress.

Way more carbs than I could consume. Bananas and rice are strictly off
my diet. But, that you can take them, is a good sign you are healing
or have healed.

By the way, to gain weight requires two things: Carbs and insulin.
If you eat excess fat, you just blow or urinate it off.

: You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly,
making i
[...]

Your strong defense of the "Paleo" diet that you were promoting several
months ago and putting down anyone who did not think this ws the way to
go
was, certainlly evident in your posts adn you finally seemed t goo off in
a huff.

I never put a single person down. That is in your own head.
It is the chemical haze I spoke of.

No? You sure put me down! And your wife by calling her arm candy and
trophy wife, both of which in today's world have very unsavory connotations.
But then you claimed that you were complimenting her.

And who went off in a "huff"? I still post here and as far
as I can tell, I post more than anyone else. I even off
topic posted a cute video about a cat because I know there are
cat lovers on this group and I HATE CATS! This group
has been really dead. Everyone fighting with each other
(Met Heads). It is not a nice place. And I think Metformin
has a lot to do with it.

You haven't posted much here in a while. Nobody has.

: This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
: You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
: your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
: can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
: jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
: Your are under a Chemical Haze.

Balonsy! i move in many circles where I am notconsidered crabby, but a
rather nice adn easy to work with as I run my food nd clothing drives and
serve on boards of groups to which I belong, not g ettign into arguments
with hose I may disgree with.

Not so I have noticed. You are pretty crabby to me. You put
words in my mouth and you attack me for it.

Wendy was never crabby to you. Never. You are here calling us all names!

: Now I never knew you before
Metformin, so you may
be this : way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
: flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
: that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.

Calling people who tak Metformin A---holes is not a negative statement or
motive.

Okay. Trying to warn others of the effect of Metformin -- one
being that you act like an arse hole -- is trying to help
others. This is chemical haze again. I am not calling
you or anyone else names. I am talking about the "effect"
it has on its user. And I included myself it that.

But you're telling lies! These things *may* have happened to you. From the
way you are going on, there is no doubt in my mind that they did. But it
wasn't from the Metformin. To call people Met Heads and then say that you
are not calling names? What planet are you on?

It looks ike flying off the handle to me nd to jumping to
conclusions out people. maybe the medication did that to you because of
our underlying personality, but it has not done so to me.

You were always this way ???? Oh No!

More put downs.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:52:07 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
it.

The funny/sad thing about it is that back then he said I was acting
very unladylike and that I should behave more like Wendy. Now, he's
turned on her, because she dared to disagree with him. He alienates
people, then tries to blame them, and or the medications they may be
taking. The only thing I take is thyroid replacement and something
for GERD. No metformin. He takes no metformin and behaves exactly
like all the attributes he claims it causes.

Yes! He can't see that the problem is with himself.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02-Oct-14 20:50, Todd wrote:

Speaking of friends: there are three types.

1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped

2) those that will

3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
else in the room.

4) those that won't tell you, because than you will zip it