Old 30-09-2014, 04:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals, but
can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a microwave,
but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Old 30-09-2014, 07:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ian Field wrote:
: Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals, but
: can still be done in the microwave?

: Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a microwave,
: but that general direction of food preparation.

: The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
: diabetic recipes.

: Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Most green vegetables can be simply prepared in the microwave. I also do
a fish dish with plain(not breaded) fish sooked with onins salt and
pepper, slices fo green pepper adnsome tomatoes either ripe fresh or
canned. this can also be seasoned with some hot peppers or such or you
can use a salsa as the main cooking sauce. time depeds on the thickness
of the fish.

jut something off the to of my head.

Wendy
Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

-T
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories can
line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.

Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat of
insulin never too far away!

Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
(sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.

Consider your Tori remark may be the metformin speaking. You
may also just think that. As I told myself when I was taking
Metformin, even paranoid have enemies.

Anyway, if your choice is to do the drug and high carb route,
then I really don't have any advice. Just pick out nice shoes
for your future prosthetic feet and a good dialysis center
while you can still see.

If you decide to go the low carb, drug free route, here is
a good web site to start with:

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

As for the way I do it (I am drug free for a year now), I
remind myself of my Grandmother. I cook up a whole bunch
of stuff most of the day on Sunday. Then I refrig or
freeze most of it. Some times I blanch and deep freeze
whatever abundance I have from the garden. Then during
the week, I microwave what I cooked on Sunday. It is our
form of fast food.

I am also blessed by a trophy wife that eats what I
eat so I am never tempted to go back to anything
high carb (red beans, for example) that injured me in
the first place. remember that T2 is an injury, not
a disease.

Other primals and paleos (I am primal) have discussed
the fast food issue. They usually wind up cooking me.
Some will buy a rotisserie chick on the way home. I
don't, because they are so rancid, they make me want
to hurl.

-T

Congrads on England staying in one piece.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBumQHPAeU&app=desktop

Hopefully; more than half the electorate are on Metformin.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

We call them "Met Heads". They can be a real challenge
to be around. I was. If my British, American French
blue language translator is correct, I do believe you
would call Met Heads "Arse Holes".

Didn't watch the video. I can only guess what is on it.
Why don't you find a Tory friend, ask him what he really thinks,
listen to what he says, then repeat it back to him and ask
him if you have it correct. Don't stop until he agree
with you as to what he thinks.

You will really be surprised at times. It is also wonderful
to understand what others think, even when you disagree with
them. It also helps to know what your are actually disagreeing
with.

Everyone who likes politics should do this. Quite often one
side tell us what the other side thinks and we really have
no clue what they actually think. And it doesn't help if
you are a Met Head.

One out of eleven Americans now have T2. More keep getting
injured as there seems to be no end to the low nutrition,
high carbohydrate (not found in nature or our historical past)
food being pushed on the public, both by industry and
by government. There is no such thing as a "health carb",
only more or less. Brown carbs are seen the same way as white
cards by your body. They are all a bag of sugar.

When I got off of Metformin and the "dark curtain" lifted, I
could not stop talking to anyone around me about anything
that come to mind. I had to do a lot of apologizing for
that too. Eventually I learned to control my mouth and
start listen to others.

-T

In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when
we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making
those idiots understand their own language.

--Mark Twain - The Innocents Abroad

Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: Hi Ian,

: Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
: (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
: it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
: on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
: drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
: my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
: to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.

I find this strange as I have been on Metformin now for some 17-18 years
with none of the effects you, tidd, have experienced. I will grant that
some peol ehave bad results with different drugs, but one's own personal
bad experience may well NOT be universal. If a drug causes problems for
you you you should no be taking it, but that does nt mean that other folk
should stop taking it if it works adn does not cause them your smptoms.

Wendy

Old 02-10-2014, 01:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/01/2014 04:59 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Hi Wendy,
The depression (crabbiness) and delusional paranoia creep up on you.

You may not be aware of it. I certainly was not aware of it until
I got off it. I truly though everyone was picking on me. When
I got off it, oh boy, did I have a lot of apologizing to do.
You have shown signs of the crabbiness to me in the past. The
way you can figure it out is to ask someone close to you that you
can trust to give you the unvarnished truth if you have become
a crabass.

People that can not longer sleep had it sneak up on them too.
They have said in blogs they never recovered and were not
able to sleep again.

And don't forget the rebound effect. Met is an allopathic drug,
meaning it is a controlled dosage of a poison meant to cause
a desired reaction. This can save your life. But over the long run,
your body will rebound to it. My blood sugar dropped each time
I backed off on the stuff.

You have been on Met for a long time and know how to cook
low(er) carb. You may be healed by now and not need it. If
you get off it to see, be careful when the "dark curtain" lifts.
You might suddenly start enjoying things and people around you.

:-)

-T

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/30/2014 8:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Who's "they"? Kraft, Nestle and Monsanto?

Don Roberto

Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

What a piece of work you are.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: Todd wrote:
: : On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Todd" wrote in message
: : ...
: : On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: : Hi Ian,
:
[...]

: :-)

: -T

I am not regarded as a crabby person and at 78 am active and happy, having
adjusted to the loss of my husban now 4 years ago. Healed I am not and I
was off the Met for a few weeks this summer when Ihad a stomach upset that
was not severe, but was prolonged. I was taken off pretty much al my Met
adn was also eating remarkably little, so little that I lost 15 lbs in a
few week(3-4) I am now back onthe Met and am tryign to maintain the
weight loss which was the first time since my big weigt oss of 30 years
ago, thata I have moved below the weight I attained then. So fa I am
fairly successful, bu , of couse, it requires daily weighing of me to not
let a small gain turn into a large one. Unfortuantley m appetite is back.

You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making i
sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept my
views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of recipes
and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is not
crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the last
17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage may
vary."

Wendy

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: Todd wrote:
: : On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Todd" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Sounds like you have it in hand.

How was your blood sugar when you were off Met for a week?

[...]

To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
politely disagreeing with me.

This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
Your are under a Chemical Haze.

Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.

So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.

-T

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" wrote in message
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals, but
can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a microwave,
but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

There are really no such things as diabetic recipes. You can make all sorts
of things in the microwave but whether you would like the results or not are
another matter.

Beans require long cooking so I doubt that you could do them in there. You
could buy canned beans though.

You can cook meat in the microwave but I wouldn't. Pretty much any other
vegetables but beans can be cooked in there.

When I was down with my foot injury, I bought rice and pasta cookers for the
microwave. The ones I got only do 1-2 servings at a time. My daughter was
able to use them.

For eggs, just beat like you would for scrambled. Add any veggies or meats
that you want. The meats should be cooked first. Add salt, pepper, milk or
water and a little butter, margarine or oil. You don't need a lot of the
fat. Just enough to add richness and keep the eggs from sticking. You can
do these in any microwaveable bowl or even a glass measuring cup. Nuke at
30 second intervals, stirring until they are the way you like them. If you
want cheese, stir in after the eggs are cooked.

Just look for microwave recipes. And look for ones that list the carb
counts.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

-T

I know that Todd has me in his killfile but those are not the only two
options. Plenty of low carbers have to use meds.