Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

"Todd" > wrote in message

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
> I see three kinds of T2's out these:
>
> 1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
> 2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
> 3) low carb and drug free?
>
> I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
> Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
> only #1. But who really cares.

No, I most certainly do not eat anything I want! If I did I would eat a
bean burrito with a side of beans. Pasta with beans. And big huge salads.
Those are my favorite foods. I can no longer eat any of those things. I
still eat beans. A small burrito that I make at home or a bean taco, also
made at home. Or just beans. The salads are out due to the gastroparesis.
I also have multiple food intolerances so things like dairy which I might
want to eat, I can't. I also don't use lots of drugs. I take three kinds
of prescription pills, one of which is a diabetes med. And two kinds of
insulin.

And who really cares? *I* really care because I don't like false things
being said about me.

And guess what! There was actually a time when I was on *no* meds at all
for diabetes and not only could eat whatever I wanted but had to eat tons of
candy too. To keep my BG up. I was running hyperthyroid then. You see...
There is no one size fits all. Note that I am not recommending that anyone
do this. And my scenario wasn't typical. I was just seeing, IMO, a bad Dr.
who put me on a rather high dose of a thyroid med. His reason? I was
overweight. Turns out that I didn't need that med at all. I do have a
thyroid problem. Goiter. But my labs now that I am not on thyroid meds
come out normal.

> So I went back and re-read what I wrote. The only
> thing I found that could have been taken as condescending
> was the part about picking out your shoes for your
> prosthetic feet. And, I did not mean it condescending.
> I meant it to be brutally serious. I have seen T2 mane
> and kill people.

Oh? And you don't think that calling someone a Met Head is condescending?
And what is type 2 mane?

I have seen people die from alcohol. But you don't see me out there warning
everyone about the dangers of alcohol. Just because something *can* happen
doesn't mean that you have to figure everything as a worst case scenario. I
think you have a lot of issues. And diabetes is but one of them.

> As far as being insulting, I insulted myself far more that
> anyone else. Saying to be careful this happened to me,
> is not telling you your are an arse hole. It is saying
> you could be and not know it. I didn't.

You insulted yourself? Hardly. You very much insulted Wendy by calling her
crabby. You can't cite one example of her being crabby. Not here anyway.
She never has been.

> I am on other low carb cooking groups and no one minds
> the way I speak. They see it as a pep talk. Over
> here, if I say "low carb", I am being condescending.
> And of all places to be offended by a low carb comment,
> a Diabetes group!

Great! Maybe you should stick to those then. This is a diabetes food
group. Not a low carb group. Not all diabetics eat low carb. In fact I'd
be willing to bet that most don't.

> What I find really interesting and somewhat annoying
> is that if you are doing what is working for you,
> why would me telling you what I do be "Condescending".
> I am only sharing my experience and thoughts on the
> matter, not ordering anyone around. My intention
> is to help others. And, the information I give
> out was withheld to me. I had to find it out the
> hard way. I wish I had never, never taken that
> (controlled dosage of a) poison (Met).

But you don't just tell people what you do. You tell them what *they*
should do as if set in stone. And that they are wrong and are going to die
or lose a foot if they don't do what you do. You also lie about meds and
insulin. Metformin is not poison and insulin isn't nasty although I would
prefer not to have to inject myself with it. I'm not a type 1 though.
Telling this to a type 1 could kill them. They *have* to inject it whether
they want to or not or they *will* die. Unless of course they use a pump.

As for the Metformin, no information was withheld from you. There are
websites like http://www.askapatient.com/ where you can look up any meds you
want to. You also should have been given prescribing information. Most if
not all of the side effects you had from that med (if I believe that, which
I don't) are not typical. I won't say that atypical side effects don't
happen. I have certainly had them myself but not to Metformin. However,
many of the side effects you mentioned in regard to your behavior are still
continuing on here.

People tell you things about yourself and you're very much in denial about
them. You are always right. Everyone else is always wrong and you'll just
killfile them if they disagree.

> The only thing I can think of is that #2's (throw in
> a little Met) really are tired of being lectured
> about carbs and want to eat what they want to eat.
> So they snap at the next person that raises the subject.
> So along comes Todd with his Primal and low carb and
> Pow! Like walking on egg shells

Who does this? You are the only one here that I hear lecturing about carbs,
at the moment. We have had some other extreme low carbers here. I don't
think they really lectured anyone. People are snapping at *you* because you
are being rude to them. You just can't see it.

> By the way, the other cooking groups I am also on are
> low carb by choice not because they are forced to.
> (Sometimes I will share a recipe from them here,
> if I think other will like it.)

Well great! Then maybe that is the best place for you to be then.

> That is one of the reasons why I think low carb is such
> a sore subject in these parts (Met doesn't help).
> And the other groups love to hear about it. One
> is by choice, the other is not.

That's because they *are* low carb groups. People choose to eat low carb
for a variety of reasons. I have a friend who does low carb whenever she
wants to lose weight. She is very much overweight. Not diabetic but her
dad is a type 1. She does lose weight on it. But she can't stick with it.
That's one of the problems of a low carb diet for many people. They are
hungry all the time and they are not necessarily eating the foods that they
like. My opinion is that there is no one diet that will work for everyone,
diabetic or not.

> Anyway, I had several people I apologized to also
> tell me they didn't notice anything. Guess you take it
> out on those closest to you.

Not even sure what that means.

> A lot of people have experienced "Depression" from
> Metformin. A web search is litter with it.
>
> http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adu...in/td-p/248424
>
> "Had/Having a depressive episode. Can't work, can't
> function, can't cope. Haven't had an episode in ten years.
> All of a sudden I trace back my depression to November ----
> viola --- that is when I started taking metformin. "
>
> And depression causes you to be crabby and paranoid delusional.
> And, yes, maybe not everyone. This group shows a lot of it.

What a bunch of hooey! I have never been depressed. I know people who have
been and currently suffer from depression. And just like with diabetes and
many other diseases/disorders/syndromes, there is no one size fits all.
Depression can make you crabby. It certainly doesn't always. The
stereotypical version of depression is the person who either overeats or
doesn't want to eat at all and takes to bed to sleep. I certainly have
known people like that. I have not ever seen a depressed person who was
paranoid and delusional unless they had additional medical problems or were
perhaps having a side effect from a med like I had with the Gabapenton. I'm
not going to say that these things couldn't happen with Metformin but they
certainly are not common side effects.

> And as far as Wendy goes, I have tried making friends
> with her on several occasions. I would say the sky is
> blue, she would say I way condescending. I have asked
> her repeatedly to show me in my writing were I made
> such a social mistake. She comes back with it is the
> tone in my writing. She just doesn't like me, which
> is her right. Towards me, she acts like a Met Head.
> Towards other she does not, which is a good thing.
> I did not act badly to every one either.

That is simply not true Todd. Wendy has only ever been nice to people.
Even me. Even when I annoy her. And it is the tone in your writing and the
calling people names. I objected to the names you were calling your wife.
You and some others said you were doing it to be nice but the current
connotations of those names on the street are anything but flattering.

> She even said I ran off in a Huff. Do you know what
> an act of friendship that was for me to post
> a cute video of a cat? I despise the things. You
> would too, if a reaction to one almost killed someone
> your loved. They are a curse on humanity.

Nobody ran off in a huff. Wendy is Jewish and it is now Yom Kippur. I
think she did make a post today but it may well be that she won't post any
more. I don't want to come across as a Jewish expert because I am not but
my Jewish friend in Chicago who I talk to nearly every day already told me
that he will not be online today because of the holiday. He will be
fasting. Wendy may or may not be as they do excuse people with medical
reasons. Most however will go to services.

> Anyway, I am only sharing my experience with others
> to be of help. If I was trying to be condescending,
> there are far easier way to do it. I would certainly
> take a hit on myself and include my own behavior as a
> met head in my missives.

But you really aren't being of help. What works for you might not work for
another. You just can't see that. If *I* low carb, my BG will shoot up
over 300. People on the diabetes newsgroup kept telling me that it was
really as easy as that. Well, no it was not. Low carbing simply does not
work for me. Granted I have additional medical problems. Many of us here
do. So for me it's more a matter of keeping *all* of my medical problems at
bay as best I can. And low carbing won't do that at all.

> Mark Twain actually liked cats. Finally found something
> I don't like about him.
>
> -T
>

> €śIgnorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats
> make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is
> the sickening grammar that they use.€ť
> ۥ Mark Twain

Okay...