Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Best of both worlds.

On 10/08/2014 11:27 AM, Ian Field wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ian Field > wrote:
>> : Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready
>> meals, but
>> : can still be done in the microwave?
>>
>> : Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
>> microwave,
>> : but that general direction of food preparation.
>>
>> : The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
>> : diabetic recipes.
>>
>> : Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.
>>
>> Most green vegetables can be simply prepared in the microwave. I also do
>> a fish dish with plain(not breaded) fish sooked with onins salt and
>> pepper, slices fo green pepper adnsome tomatoes either ripe fresh or
>> canned. this can also be seasoned with some hot peppers or such or you
>> can use a salsa as the main cooking sauce. time depeds on the thickness
>> of the fish.
>>
>> jut something off the to of my head.

> Just had another prod at the BBC food/recipes website.
>
> This time I searched "low carb" - got some hits, but there are only 8
> recipes listed.
>
> Its a step in the right direction, but needs more people to show an
> interest.
>
> The BBC websites aren't just for Brits - anyone can look in.
>
> The contact link is at the bottom of the page.

Hi Ian,

Here is a Primal microwave chicken recipe and it sounds good:
http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/p...owave-chicken/

Here is a microwave chocolate chip cookie dough recipe (be
careful to limit the banana or leave it out):
http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/pal...-cookie-dough/

Those two might be a bit on the workie side, you can always purchase
a precooked Bratwurt or other sausage (Prairie Grove Farms in the States
makes great natural uncured precooked sausage), chop it up and add
it to some frozen organic broccoli, with butter, onion powder, salt, and
you favorite cheese. Only takes a few minutes and it is a real treat.
You can vary the vegetable(s), the meat (precook your own,
or buy it that way), etc..

Be ware of burning broccoli, the odor is something to behold.
Not that I know anything about that! :-)

When you get advanced that this, you will even find yourself
buying a single fresh vegi on your way home from work to
add to the pot/dish/microwave.

Although I have heard rumors of someone trying to do Paleo/Primal
frozen dinners out here, there is really nothing in a purchased
frozen dinner that is diabetic friendly. But, you can easily
work around it.

Do you have access to fresh off the dock fish where you
live. Fresh off the dock to the pan is a real treat,
but does require some preparation. If you can get
it filleted, you can probably go straight to the
microwave with the addition of a little seasoning
(Wendy's seems nice.)

So basically, a little more work is required, but
not that much more. Plus, you get the warn fuzzies
"I cooked that!". And, I got to tell you, fresh
cooked anything tastes so much better than T.V.
dinners. (I make my own Ratatouille. It is so good.
And it freezes well. Store bought Ratatouille is
so bad, I am sure there is something in the Geneva
Convention about it.)

Also, very important, this is a primal/paleo thing,
but it applies to all of us healing from Diabetes,
make sure you eat/share your food with someone
you love/tribe/friends/family. It is part of the
healing process.

Have a customer whose late husband was from Scotland. He
loved a sausage called a "Banger". She described it as
a texture only flavorless meat. Made me laugh. She likes
Bratwurst. Was she exaggerating? (She also hates lamb,
which made her trips to the homeland to visit relatives
a bit of a chore.)

-T

Oh, since I have been ragging on Metformin, it also
causes cognitive decline and memory loss. And, it,
it ... Crikey. I forget again. I hate when that
happens. Why am I writing you? Are you still in the
Navy? :-)