Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
> wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

>Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
>self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 12:01 PM, Ian Field wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> A quick search for; "antipsychotics" came up with Olanzepine, and a
>>> couple of others I couldn't pronounce.

>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
>> You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
>> the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
>> your own.
>>
>> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>>
>> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>>
>> 2) those that will
>>
>> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
>> else in the room.
>>
>> Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
>> ask him if you have changed.
>>
>> You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
>> those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
>> is a thing of the past.

> I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
> definitely a hole in the bag!

Hi Ian,

Can we say "chemical haze"?

Notice not one insult out of me in this conversation? Seriously,
this may be the Metformin speaking and not you. I do hope
so and you are not like this normally.

Before I got off of Met, I would have flew off the handle. Kind
of like you are doing now.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 12:08 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 10/02/2014 12:01 PM, Ian Field wrote:

>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
>>> You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
>>> the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
>>> your own.
>>>
>>> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>>>
>>> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>>>
>>> 2) those that will
>>>
>>> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
>>> else in the room.
>>>
>>> Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
>>> ask him if you have changed.
>>>
>>> You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
>>> those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
>>> is a thing of the past.

>> I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
>> definitely a hole in the bag!

> Hi Ian,
>
> Can we say "chemical haze"?
>
> Notice not one insult out of me in this conversation? Seriously,
> this may be the Metformin speaking and not you. I do hope
> so and you are not like this normally.
>
> Before I got off of Met, I would have flew off the handle. Kind
> of like you are doing now.
>
> -T

Back on topic. Try freezing thing up one day a week. Then
microwaving them in place of fast food.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
> > wrote:
>
> Snipped for brevity.
>>
>>Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
>>self-limiting.

> I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
> this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
> simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

But life is so much easier when someone with objectionable opinions
killfiles, then they don't see your posts and consequently leave you in
peace.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BjørnSteensrud" > wrote in message
> Todd wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/2014 08:32 PM, W. Baker wrote:

>>> You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making
>>> sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
>>> different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
>>> recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
>>> don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept
>>> my
>>> views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
>>> have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of
>>> recipes
>>> and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
>>> were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is
>>> not
>>> crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
>>> grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
>>> last
>>> 17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage
>>> may vary."

>> Wendy,
>>
>> To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
>> Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
>> politely disagreeing with me.
>>
>> This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
>> You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
>> your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
>> can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
>> jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
>> Your are under a Chemical Haze.
>>
>> Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
>> way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
>> flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
>> that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.
>>
>> So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.
>>
>> -T

> Todd,
>
> Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
> if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
> You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
> "separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of
> that
> language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
> and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
> Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
> vividly.
>
> Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.
>
> One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.

I'd be happy to show Todd how to bypass the door interlocks on a microwave
so he can turn it on with his head in it.

But seriously - I had a tabletop oven with rings on the top till the
thermostat contacts welded. I have salvaged a combo microwave/grill that
only needs very minor repair - but being a tightwad, I prefer to finish
wearing out the old microwave before swapping over.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

> Todd,
>
> Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
> if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
> You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
> "separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of
> that
> language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
> and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
> Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
> vividly.
>
> Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.
>
> One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.
> Over here there are tiny two-plate ranges with small ovens available,
> suitable for a studio apartment or a summer cabin. One of those might

He said that he can only do certain kinds of cooking due to some medical
problem that his wife has. I think it was respiratory.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" > wrote in message

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 10/01/2014 04:59 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : > "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> : > ...
>>> : >> On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
>>> : Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> : Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
>>> : (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
>>> : it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
>>> : on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
>>> : drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
>>> : my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
>>> : to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.
>>>

>>> I find this strange as I have been on Metformin now for some 17-18
>>> years
>>> with none of the effects you, tidd, have experienced. I will grant that
>>> some peol ehave bad results with different drugs, but one's own personal
>>> bad experience may well NOT be universal. If a drug causes problems
>>> for
>>> you you you should no be taking it, but that does nt mean that other
>>> folk
>>> should stop taking it if it works adn does not cause them your smptoms.
>>>
>>> Wendy

>> Hi Wendy,
>> The depression (crabbiness) and delusional paranoia creep up on you.

> That isn't the Metformin - its the lack of some other drug that you
> *SHOULD* be taking.

*Claps*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" > wrote in message

>>>Yes he is. And here I thought he had left.

>> I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
>> either killfiled,

> Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
> self-limiting.

True.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/02/2014 10:47 AM, Ian Field wrote:
>>> I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
>>> either killfiled,

>> Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
>> self-limiting.

> Hi Ian,
>
> ********.
>
> People disagree with me all the time and I don't kill file
> them. I love to learn other viewpoints. You and me are
> on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Have I
> killfiled you?
>
> I only kill file someone when you don't act like a
> gentleman or lady.
>
> Hmmmmm. "Attitude problem". Perhaps this is the Meformin
> speaking? Are you still able to sleep? Any weird spots on
> your skin yet? Hair start falling out? Think people are
> picking on you? Those Tories seem to be hating poor folks
> more and more every day?
>
> I had no clue I was acting this way under Met. I
> did not believe for one minute that it was all
> of my own doing when others around me complained
> about me. I was a classic Met Head

You have no clue you are acting this way *now*!

I did lose some hair but I highly doubt it was from Metformin. More likely
it was the statin as that is a known side effect but... I went to a get
together with people I used to work with and haven't seen for almost 20
years. And I was surprised to see that most of the women also had hair loss
similar to mine. So it may well just be age. Because I'm sure that all of
those with hair loss are not diabetic and/or on the same meds that I am/was.

I have always had weird spots on my skin. I have psoriasis and eczema.
Possibly rosacea although that has never been diagnosed. It's just that I
described the spots that I sometimes get on my face to someone and they said
that was what it was.

You, Todd, can't seem to tell when someone is joking around. I think all of
your low carb dieting has knocked all of the humor right out of you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
> > wrote:
>
> Snipped for brevity.
>>
>>Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
>>self-limiting.

> I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
> this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
> simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/02/2014 10:51 AM, Ian Field wrote:
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Dear Todd. Sorry for the top post here but you are having delusions.
>>> It wasn't the Metformin. Seek help!

>> A quick search for; "antipsychotics" came up with Olanzepine, and a
>> couple of others I couldn't pronounce.

> Hi Ian,
>
> You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
> You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
> the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
> your own.
>
> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>
> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>
> 2) those that will
>
> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
> else in the room.
>
> Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
> ask him if you have changed.
>
> You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
> those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
> is a thing of the past.
>
> -T

Did Ian think that I was picking on him? No. I am agreeing with him. And
Wendy, and Karen... You need help Todd.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" > wrote in message
> I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
> definitely a hole in the bag!

One taco short of a combination plate.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/02/2014 12:01 PM, Ian Field wrote:

>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
>>> You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
>>> the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
>>> your own.
>>>
>>> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>>>
>>> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>>>
>>> 2) those that will
>>>
>>> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
>>> else in the room.
>>>
>>> Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
>>> ask him if you have changed.
>>>
>>> You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
>>> those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
>>> is a thing of the past.

>> I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
>> definitely a hole in the bag!

> Hi Ian,
>
> Can we say "chemical haze"?
>
> Notice not one insult out of me in this conversation? Seriously,
> this may be the Metformin speaking and not you. I do hope
> so and you are not like this normally.
>
> Before I got off of Met, I would have flew off the handle. Kind
> of like you are doing now.
>
> -T

Ian is not flying off the handle. And you would not have flew. You would
have flown.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories
>>> can line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.
>>>
>>> Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat
>>> of insulin never too far away!
>>>
>>> Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
>>> market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
>>> scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

>> I don't know what country you're in, but do you have canned beans there?
>> They are really not that much more expensive than dried. Can you get
>> fresh beans? I can't here. Since you have an Asian store, can you get
>> bean sprouts?

> Generally I go in there mostly for spices, they're a *LOT* cheaper than
> "name brand" little jars, usually I only notice odd items of food that I
> think would work out a huge saving if I knew how to prepare it.
>
> Maybe as much as 1/4 of their stock is dried beans & pulses etc. A lot of
> the (presumably vegetables of some sort) I don't even know what they're
> called.

Ah, okay. Somewhat different then our stores here then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ian Field" > wrote in message

> "Don Roberto" > wrote in message
>> On 9/30/2014 8:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
>>> Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
>>> but can still be done in the microwave?
>>>
>>> Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
>>> microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.
>>>
>>> The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
>>> diabetic recipes.
>>>

>> Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

> As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy
> one.
>
> Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
> quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.
>
> Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased my
> Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar
> "under control".

That's rather sad and scary. You should be able to test, particularly since
you are on medication. How would you know if you had a hypo?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/02/2014 11:06 AM, Ian Field wrote:

>>> Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

>> As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy
>> one.
>>
>> Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
>> quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.
>>
>> Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased
>> my Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar
>> "under control".

> Hi Ian,
>
> Sounds like you are on track.
>
> Have you though of backing off on the carbs and see if your
> blood sugar goes down?
>
> Here in the States, Walmart has great prices on meters and
> supplies.
>
> How did they test your blood sugar? Meter? A1c? Fructosamine?
> The A1c is really sloppy. Off by about +- 25%. (I will
> provide a paper on that to who ever asks nicely.)
>
> -T

The A1c isn't sloppy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:52:07 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> Snipped for brevity.
>>>
>>>Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
>>>self-limiting.

>> I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
>> this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
>> simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

>And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
>it.

The funny/sad thing about it is that back then he said I was acting
very unladylike and that I should behave more like Wendy. Now, he's
turned on her, because she dared to disagree with him. He alienates
people, then tries to blame them, and or the medications they may be
taking. The only thing I take is thyroid replacement and something
for GERD. No metformin. He takes no metformin and behaves exactly
like all the attributes he claims it causes.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> not
>> : > let a small gain turn into a large one. Unfortuantley m appetite is
>> back.
>>
>> : Sounds like you have it in hand.
>>
>> : How was your blood sugar when you were off Met for a week?
>>
>> No change as I was eating remarkably little food. How else do you think
>> los 15 pounds in a few weeks after maaintaining the sme weight for over
>> 30? half a banan a piece of toast, a third of an apple and home made
>> chichen sop with some rice. that's bout what I would eat and couldn't
>> manage more and was haaving the loose bowels. When i went back on the
>> Metformin my stomach was fine and as my apetite increased, I had to watch
>> the carbs, as I usually do. I was also rather happier and not crabby at
>> all as I no longer ws suffering from stomach distress.

> Way more carbs than I could consume. Bananas and rice are strictly off
> my diet. But, that you can take them, is a good sign you are healing
> or have healed.
>
> By the way, to gain weight requires two things: Carbs and insulin.
> If you eat excess fat, you just blow or urinate it off.
>

>> : > You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly,
>> making i
>> : > sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
>> : > different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus
>> like
>> : > recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if
>> you
>> : > don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't
>> accept my
>> : > views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off.
>> You
>> : > have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of
>> recipes
>> : > and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad
>> we
>> : > were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is
>> not
>> : > crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of
>> 60-100
>> : > grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
>> last
>> : > 17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your
>> mileeage may
>> : > vary."
>>
>> : Wendy,
>>
>> : To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
>> : Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
>> : politely disagreeing with me.
>>
>> Your strong defense of the "Paleo" diet that you were promoting several
>> months ago and putting down anyone who did not think this ws the way to
>> go
>> was, certainlly evident in your posts adn you finally seemed t goo off in
>> a huff.

> I never put a single person down. That is in your own head.

No? You sure put me down! And your wife by calling her arm candy and
trophy wife, both of which in today's world have very unsavory connotations.
But then you claimed that you were complimenting her.

> And who went off in a "huff"? I still post here and as far
> as I can tell, I post more than anyone else. I even off
> topic posted a cute video about a cat because I know there are
> cat lovers on this group and I HATE CATS! This group
> has been really dead. Everyone fighting with each other
> (Met Heads). It is not a nice place. And I think Metformin
> has a lot to do with it.

You haven't posted much here in a while. Nobody has.

>> : This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
>> : You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
>> : your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
>> : can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
>> : jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
>> : Your are under a Chemical Haze.
>>

>> Balonsy! i move in many circles where I am notconsidered crabby, but a
>> rather nice adn easy to work with as I run my food nd clothing drives and
>> serve on boards of groups to which I belong, not g ettign into arguments
>> with hose I may disgree with.

> Not so I have noticed. You are pretty crabby to me. You put
> words in my mouth and you attack me for it.

Wendy was never crabby to you. Never. You are here calling us all names!

>> : Now I never knew you before
>> Metformin, so you may
>> be this : way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
>> : flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
>> : that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.
>>
>> Calling people who tak Metformin A---holes is not a negative statement or
>> motive.

> Okay. Trying to warn others of the effect of Metformin -- one
> being that you act like an arse hole -- is trying to help
> others. This is chemical haze again. I am not calling
> you or anyone else names. I am talking about the "effect"
> it has on its user. And I included myself it that.

But you're telling lies! These things *may* have happened to you. From the
way you are going on, there is no doubt in my mind that they did. But it
wasn't from the Metformin. To call people Met Heads and then say that you
are not calling names? What planet are you on?

>> It looks ike flying off the handle to me nd to jumping to
>> conclusions out people. maybe the medication did that to you because of
>> our underlying personality, but it has not done so to me.

> You were always this way ???? Oh No!

More put downs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:52:07 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
>>>
>>> Snipped for brevity.

>>> I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
>>> this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
>>> simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

>>And he doesn't just killfile either. He makes a big stinking deal out of
>>it.

> The funny/sad thing about it is that back then he said I was acting
> very unladylike and that I should behave more like Wendy. Now, he's
> turned on her, because she dared to disagree with him. He alienates
> people, then tries to blame them, and or the medications they may be
> taking. The only thing I take is thyroid replacement and something
> for GERD. No metformin. He takes no metformin and behaves exactly
> like all the attributes he claims it causes.

Yes! He can't see that the problem is with himself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02-Oct-14 20:50, Todd wrote:

> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>
> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>
> 2) those that will
>
> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
> else in the room.

4) those that won't tell you, because than you will zip it

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02-Oct-14 21:01, Ian Field wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 10/02/2014 10:51 AM, Ian Field wrote:

>> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>>
>> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>>
>> 2) those that will
>>
>> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
>> else in the room.
>>
>> Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
>> ask him if you have changed.
>>
>> You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
>> those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
>> is a thing of the past.

> I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's
> definitely a hole in the bag!

now watch it, there are perfectly normal human beings without marbles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Gys de Jongh" > wrote in message
.. .
> On 02-Oct-14 20:50, Todd wrote:
>
>> Speaking of friends: there are three types.
>>
>> 1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped
>>
>> 2) those that will
>>
>> 3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
>> else in the room.

> 4) those that won't tell you, because than you will zip it

5) Those that wait till you're drunk before telling you so you get caught in
it doing it up.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ian Field" > wrote in message

>>> I don't know what country you're in, but do you have canned beans there?
>>> They are really not that much more expensive than dried. Can you get
>>> fresh beans? I can't here. Since you have an Asian store, can you get
>>> bean sprouts?

>> Generally I go in there mostly for spices, they're a *LOT* cheaper than
>> "name brand" little jars, usually I only notice odd items of food that I
>> think would work out a huge saving if I knew how to prepare it.
>>
>> Maybe as much as 1/4 of their stock is dried beans & pulses etc. A lot of
>> the (presumably vegetables of some sort) I don't even know what they're
>> called.

> Ah, okay. Somewhat different then our stores here then.

They have no shortage of variety, and it looks like decent sustenance for a
fair bit less than any of the supermarkets - unfortunately; I haven't a clue
what most of it is or how to prepare it.

The next scheduled blood test since my table top oven broke looms - probably
some bad news coming my way!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ian Field" > wrote in message

>>> Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

>> As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy
>> one.
>>
>> Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
>> quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.
>>
>> Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased
>> my Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar
>> "under control".

> That's rather sad and scary. You should be able to test, particularly
> since you are on medication. How would you know if you had a hypo?

Sometimes, about an hour or so after a dose of Metformin - I get feeling
faint and dizzy with the shakes and sometimes cold sweats.

Presumably since a caramel bar fixes it in short order - that's probably my
hypo symptoms.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 01:32 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/2014 08:32 PM, W. Baker wrote:

>>> You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making
>>> sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
>>> different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
>>> recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
>>> don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept my
>>> views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
>>> have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of recipes
>>> and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
>>> were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is not
>>> crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
>>> grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
>>> last
>>> 17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage
>>> may vary."

>> Wendy,
>>
>> To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
>> Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
>> politely disagreeing with me.
>>
>> This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
>> You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
>> your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
>> can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
>> jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
>> Your are under a Chemical Haze.
>>
>> Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
>> way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
>> flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
>> that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.
>>
>> So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.
>>
>> -T

> Todd,
>
> Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
> if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
> You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
> "separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of that
> language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
> and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
> Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
> vividly.
>
> Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.
>
> One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.
> Over here there are tiny two-plate ranges with small ovens available,
> suitable for a studio apartment or a summer cabin. One of those might solve
> many of your cooking problems.
>
> Bjørn
> T2, 72 yo, bmi 23

Hi Bjørn,

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
I see three kinds of T2's out these:

1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
3) low carb and drug free?

I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
only #1. But who really cares.

So I went back and re-read what I wrote. The only
thing I found that could have been taken as condescending
was the part about picking out your shoes for your
prosthetic feet. And, I did not mean it condescending.
I meant it to be brutally serious. I have seen T2 mane
and kill people.

As far as being insulting, I insulted myself far more that
anyone else. Saying to be careful this happened to me,
is not telling you your are an arse hole. It is saying
you could be and not know it. I didn't.

I am on other low carb cooking groups and no one minds
the way I speak. They see it as a pep talk. Over
here, if I say "low carb", I am being condescending.
And of all places to be offended by a low carb comment,
a Diabetes group!

What I find really interesting and somewhat annoying
is that if you are doing what is working for you,
why would me telling you what I do be "Condescending".
I am only sharing my experience and thoughts on the
matter, not ordering anyone around. My intention
is to help others. And, the information I give
out was withheld to me. I had to find it out the
hard way. I wish I had never, never taken that
(controlled dosage of a) poison (Met).

The only thing I can think of is that #2's (throw in
a little Met) really are tired of being lectured
about carbs and want to eat what they want to eat.
So they snap at the next person that raises the subject.
So along comes Todd with his Primal and low carb and
Pow! Like walking on egg shells

By the way, the other cooking groups I am also on are
low carb by choice not because they are forced to.
(Sometimes I will share a recipe from them here,
if I think other will like it.)

That is one of the reasons why I think low carb is such
a sore subject in these parts (Met doesn't help).
And the other groups love to hear about it. One
is by choice, the other is not.

Anyway, I had several people I apologized to also
tell me they didn't notice anything. Guess you take it
out on those closest to you.

A lot of people have experienced "Depression" from
Metformin. A web search is litter with it.

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adu...in/td-p/248424

"Had/Having a depressive episode. Can't work, can't
function, can't cope. Haven't had an episode in ten years.
All of a sudden I trace back my depression to November ----
viola --- that is when I started taking metformin. "

And depression causes you to be crabby and paranoid delusional.
And, yes, maybe not everyone. This group shows a lot of it.

And as far as Wendy goes, I have tried making friends
with her on several occasions. I would say the sky is
blue, she would say I way condescending. I have asked
her repeatedly to show me in my writing were I made
such a social mistake. She comes back with it is the
tone in my writing. She just doesn't like me, which
is her right. Towards me, she acts like a Met Head.
Towards other she does not, which is a good thing.
I did not act badly to every one either.

She even said I ran off in a Huff. Do you know what
an act of friendship that was for me to post
a cute video of a cat? I despise the things. You
would too, if a reaction to one almost killed someone
your loved. They are a curse on humanity.

Anyway, I am only sharing my experience with others
to be of help. If I was trying to be condescending,
there are far easier way to do it. I would certainly
take a hit on myself and include my own behavior as a
met head in my missives.

Mark Twain actually liked cats. Finally found something
I don't like about him.

-T

Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats
make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is
the sickening grammar that they use.
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
> I see three kinds of T2's out these:
>
> 1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
> 2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
> 3) low carb and drug free?
>
> I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
> Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
> only #1. But who really cares.

No, I most certainly do not eat anything I want! If I did I would eat a
bean burrito with a side of beans. Pasta with beans. And big huge salads.
Those are my favorite foods. I can no longer eat any of those things. I
still eat beans. A small burrito that I make at home or a bean taco, also
made at home. Or just beans. The salads are out due to the gastroparesis.
I also have multiple food intolerances so things like dairy which I might
want to eat, I can't. I also don't use lots of drugs. I take three kinds
of prescription pills, one of which is a diabetes med. And two kinds of
insulin.

And who really cares? *I* really care because I don't like false things
being said about me.

And guess what! There was actually a time when I was on *no* meds at all
for diabetes and not only could eat whatever I wanted but had to eat tons of
candy too. To keep my BG up. I was running hyperthyroid then. You see...
There is no one size fits all. Note that I am not recommending that anyone
do this. And my scenario wasn't typical. I was just seeing, IMO, a bad Dr.
who put me on a rather high dose of a thyroid med. His reason? I was
overweight. Turns out that I didn't need that med at all. I do have a
thyroid problem. Goiter. But my labs now that I am not on thyroid meds
come out normal.

> So I went back and re-read what I wrote. The only
> thing I found that could have been taken as condescending
> was the part about picking out your shoes for your
> prosthetic feet. And, I did not mean it condescending.
> I meant it to be brutally serious. I have seen T2 mane
> and kill people.

Oh? And you don't think that calling someone a Met Head is condescending?
And what is type 2 mane?

I have seen people die from alcohol. But you don't see me out there warning
everyone about the dangers of alcohol. Just because something *can* happen
doesn't mean that you have to figure everything as a worst case scenario. I
think you have a lot of issues. And diabetes is but one of them.

> As far as being insulting, I insulted myself far more that
> anyone else. Saying to be careful this happened to me,
> is not telling you your are an arse hole. It is saying
> you could be and not know it. I didn't.

You insulted yourself? Hardly. You very much insulted Wendy by calling her
crabby. You can't cite one example of her being crabby. Not here anyway.
She never has been.

> I am on other low carb cooking groups and no one minds
> the way I speak. They see it as a pep talk. Over
> here, if I say "low carb", I am being condescending.
> And of all places to be offended by a low carb comment,
> a Diabetes group!

Great! Maybe you should stick to those then. This is a diabetes food
group. Not a low carb group. Not all diabetics eat low carb. In fact I'd
be willing to bet that most don't.

> What I find really interesting and somewhat annoying
> is that if you are doing what is working for you,
> why would me telling you what I do be "Condescending".
> I am only sharing my experience and thoughts on the
> matter, not ordering anyone around. My intention
> is to help others. And, the information I give
> out was withheld to me. I had to find it out the
> hard way. I wish I had never, never taken that
> (controlled dosage of a) poison (Met).

But you don't just tell people what you do. You tell them what *they*
should do as if set in stone. And that they are wrong and are going to die
or lose a foot if they don't do what you do. You also lie about meds and
insulin. Metformin is not poison and insulin isn't nasty although I would
prefer not to have to inject myself with it. I'm not a type 1 though.
Telling this to a type 1 could kill them. They *have* to inject it whether
they want to or not or they *will* die. Unless of course they use a pump.

As for the Metformin, no information was withheld from you. There are
websites like http://www.askapatient.com/ where you can look up any meds you
want to. You also should have been given prescribing information. Most if
not all of the side effects you had from that med (if I believe that, which
I don't) are not typical. I won't say that atypical side effects don't
happen. I have certainly had them myself but not to Metformin. However,
many of the side effects you mentioned in regard to your behavior are still
continuing on here.

People tell you things about yourself and you're very much in denial about
them. You are always right. Everyone else is always wrong and you'll just
killfile them if they disagree.

> The only thing I can think of is that #2's (throw in
> a little Met) really are tired of being lectured
> about carbs and want to eat what they want to eat.
> So they snap at the next person that raises the subject.
> So along comes Todd with his Primal and low carb and
> Pow! Like walking on egg shells

Who does this? You are the only one here that I hear lecturing about carbs,
at the moment. We have had some other extreme low carbers here. I don't
think they really lectured anyone. People are snapping at *you* because you
are being rude to them. You just can't see it.

> By the way, the other cooking groups I am also on are
> low carb by choice not because they are forced to.
> (Sometimes I will share a recipe from them here,
> if I think other will like it.)

Well great! Then maybe that is the best place for you to be then.

> That is one of the reasons why I think low carb is such
> a sore subject in these parts (Met doesn't help).
> And the other groups love to hear about it. One
> is by choice, the other is not.

That's because they *are* low carb groups. People choose to eat low carb
for a variety of reasons. I have a friend who does low carb whenever she
wants to lose weight. She is very much overweight. Not diabetic but her
dad is a type 1. She does lose weight on it. But she can't stick with it.
That's one of the problems of a low carb diet for many people. They are
hungry all the time and they are not necessarily eating the foods that they
like. My opinion is that there is no one diet that will work for everyone,
diabetic or not.

> Anyway, I had several people I apologized to also
> tell me they didn't notice anything. Guess you take it
> out on those closest to you.

Not even sure what that means.

> A lot of people have experienced "Depression" from
> Metformin. A web search is litter with it.
>
> http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adu...in/td-p/248424
>
> "Had/Having a depressive episode. Can't work, can't
> function, can't cope. Haven't had an episode in ten years.
> All of a sudden I trace back my depression to November ----
> viola --- that is when I started taking metformin. "
>
> And depression causes you to be crabby and paranoid delusional.
> And, yes, maybe not everyone. This group shows a lot of it.

What a bunch of hooey! I have never been depressed. I know people who have
been and currently suffer from depression. And just like with diabetes and
many other diseases/disorders/syndromes, there is no one size fits all.
Depression can make you crabby. It certainly doesn't always. The
stereotypical version of depression is the person who either overeats or
doesn't want to eat at all and takes to bed to sleep. I certainly have
known people like that. I have not ever seen a depressed person who was
paranoid and delusional unless they had additional medical problems or were
perhaps having a side effect from a med like I had with the Gabapenton. I'm
not going to say that these things couldn't happen with Metformin but they
certainly are not common side effects.

> And as far as Wendy goes, I have tried making friends
> with her on several occasions. I would say the sky is
> blue, she would say I way condescending. I have asked
> her repeatedly to show me in my writing were I made
> such a social mistake. She comes back with it is the
> tone in my writing. She just doesn't like me, which
> is her right. Towards me, she acts like a Met Head.
> Towards other she does not, which is a good thing.
> I did not act badly to every one either.

That is simply not true Todd. Wendy has only ever been nice to people.
Even me. Even when I annoy her. And it is the tone in your writing and the
calling people names. I objected to the names you were calling your wife.
You and some others said you were doing it to be nice but the current
connotations of those names on the street are anything but flattering.

> She even said I ran off in a Huff. Do you know what
> an act of friendship that was for me to post
> a cute video of a cat? I despise the things. You
> would too, if a reaction to one almost killed someone
> your loved. They are a curse on humanity.

Nobody ran off in a huff. Wendy is Jewish and it is now Yom Kippur. I
think she did make a post today but it may well be that she won't post any
more. I don't want to come across as a Jewish expert because I am not but
my Jewish friend in Chicago who I talk to nearly every day already told me
that he will not be online today because of the holiday. He will be
fasting. Wendy may or may not be as they do excuse people with medical
reasons. Most however will go to services.

> Anyway, I am only sharing my experience with others
> to be of help. If I was trying to be condescending,
> there are far easier way to do it. I would certainly
> take a hit on myself and include my own behavior as a
> met head in my missives.

But you really aren't being of help. What works for you might not work for
another. You just can't see that. If *I* low carb, my BG will shoot up
over 300. People on the diabetes newsgroup kept telling me that it was
really as easy as that. Well, no it was not. Low carbing simply does not
work for me. Granted I have additional medical problems. Many of us here
do. So for me it's more a matter of keeping *all* of my medical problems at
bay as best I can. And low carbing won't do that at all.

> Mark Twain actually liked cats. Finally found something
> I don't like about him.
>
> -T
>

> Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats
> make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is
> the sickening grammar that they use.
> Mark Twain

Okay...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/02/2014 01:32 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
>> Todd wrote:

>>> Wendy,
>>>
>>> To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
>>> Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
>>> politely disagreeing with me.
>>>
>>> This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
>>> You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
>>> your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
>>> can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
>>> jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
>>> Your are under a Chemical Haze.
>>>
>>> Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
>>> way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
>>> flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
>>> that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.
>>>
>>> So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.
>>>
>>> -T

>> Todd,
>>
>> Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
>> if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
>> You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
>> "separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of
>> that
>> language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
>> and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
>> Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
>> vividly.
>>
>> Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.
>>
>> One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.
>> Over here there are tiny two-plate ranges with small ovens available,
>> suitable for a studio apartment or a summer cabin. One of those might
>> solve
>> many of your cooking problems.
>>
>> Bjørn
>> T2, 72 yo, bmi 23
>>

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
> I see three kinds of T2's out these:
>
> 1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
> 2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
> 3) low carb and drug free?
>
> I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
> Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
> only #1. But who really cares.

If you were really God's gift - you wouldn't have diabetes in the first
place.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>
>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.
>> I see three kinds of T2's out these:
>>
>> 1) eat anything you want and use lots of drugs
>> 2) eat moderate carbs and use (less) drugs, or
>> 3) low carb and drug free?
>>
>> I don't know of any #1 on this group, maybe Julie.
>> Most on this group I see as #2's. I think I am the
>> only #1. But who really cares.

> No, I most certainly do not eat anything I want! If I did I would eat a
> bean burrito with a side of beans. Pasta with beans. And big huge
> salads. Those are my favorite foods.

I'd go for a huge kebab - anyway, if I leave anything it'll be the pita.

The one I order from - if you ask for the salad in a separate styrene carton
to save the pita getting soggy; they completely fill the pita with meat.

The salad isn't stingy either.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ian Field > wrote:
> : Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
> but
> : can still be done in the microwave?
>
> : Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
> microwave,
> : but that general direction of food preparation.
>
> : The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
> : diabetic recipes.
>
> : Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.
>
> Most green vegetables can be simply prepared in the microwave. I also do
> a fish dish with plain(not breaded) fish sooked with onins salt and
> pepper, slices fo green pepper adnsome tomatoes either ripe fresh or
> canned. this can also be seasoned with some hot peppers or such or you
> can use a salsa as the main cooking sauce. time depeds on the thickness
> of the fish.
>
> jut something off the to of my head.

Just had another prod at the BBC food/recipes website.

This time I searched "low carb" - got some hits, but there are only 8
recipes listed.

Its a step in the right direction, but needs more people to show an
interest.

The BBC websites aren't just for Brits - anyone can look in.

The contact link is at the bottom of the page.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/08/2014 11:27 AM, Ian Field wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ian Field > wrote:
>> : Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready
>> meals, but
>> : can still be done in the microwave?
>>
>> : Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
>> microwave,
>> : but that general direction of food preparation.
>>
>> : The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
>> : diabetic recipes.
>>
>> : Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.
>>
>> Most green vegetables can be simply prepared in the microwave. I also do
>> a fish dish with plain(not breaded) fish sooked with onins salt and
>> pepper, slices fo green pepper adnsome tomatoes either ripe fresh or
>> canned. this can also be seasoned with some hot peppers or such or you
>> can use a salsa as the main cooking sauce. time depeds on the thickness
>> of the fish.
>>
>> jut something off the to of my head.

> Just had another prod at the BBC food/recipes website.
>
> This time I searched "low carb" - got some hits, but there are only 8
> recipes listed.
>
> Its a step in the right direction, but needs more people to show an
> interest.
>
> The BBC websites aren't just for Brits - anyone can look in.
>
> The contact link is at the bottom of the page.

Hi Ian,

Here is a Primal microwave chicken recipe and it sounds good:
http://www.paleoeffect.com/recipes/p...owave-chicken/

Here is a microwave chocolate chip cookie dough recipe (be
careful to limit the banana or leave it out):
http://www.thefreckledfoodie.com/pal...-cookie-dough/

Those two might be a bit on the workie side, you can always purchase
a precooked Bratwurt or other sausage (Prairie Grove Farms in the States
makes great natural uncured precooked sausage), chop it up and add
it to some frozen organic broccoli, with butter, onion powder, salt, and
you favorite cheese. Only takes a few minutes and it is a real treat.
You can vary the vegetable(s), the meat (precook your own,
or buy it that way), etc..

Be ware of burning broccoli, the odor is something to behold.
Not that I know anything about that! :-)

When you get advanced that this, you will even find yourself
buying a single fresh vegi on your way home from work to
add to the pot/dish/microwave.

Although I have heard rumors of someone trying to do Paleo/Primal
frozen dinners out here, there is really nothing in a purchased
frozen dinner that is diabetic friendly. But, you can easily
work around it.

Do you have access to fresh off the dock fish where you
live. Fresh off the dock to the pan is a real treat,
but does require some preparation. If you can get
it filleted, you can probably go straight to the
microwave with the addition of a little seasoning
(Wendy's seems nice.)

So basically, a little more work is required, but
not that much more. Plus, you get the warn fuzzies
"I cooked that!". And, I got to tell you, fresh
cooked anything tastes so much better than T.V.
dinners. (I make my own Ratatouille. It is so good.
And it freezes well. Store bought Ratatouille is
so bad, I am sure there is something in the Geneva
Convention about it.)

Also, very important, this is a primal/paleo thing,
but it applies to all of us healing from Diabetes,
make sure you eat/share your food with someone
you love/tribe/friends/family. It is part of the
healing process.

Have a customer whose late husband was from Scotland. He
loved a sausage called a "Banger". She described it as
a texture only flavorless meat. Made me laugh. She likes
Bratwurst. Was she exaggerating? (She also hates lamb,
which made her trips to the homeland to visit relatives
a bit of a chore.)

-T

Oh, since I have been ragging on Metformin, it also
causes cognitive decline and memory loss. And, it,
it ... Crikey. I forget again. I hate when that
happens. Why am I writing you? Are you still in the
Navy? :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/08/2014 01:09 PM, Todd wrote:
> warn fuzzies