Old 18-07-2013, 03:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Nopales and pennies?

On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
resistance.

Not strange at all if you look at it from an
engineering control system standpoint. Think of your
car's cruise control. If you are going too slow, the
cruise control will receive a signal from sensors
that tell the control system you are going too slow and
the system will (try) to speed you up. Too fast, the
control system will try to slow you down. The control
system compensates in the other direction.

Your cells are the same way. If they receive too much or
too little of something, your body's control systems will
compensate in the other direction. So too much Glucose
and insulin and your cells will be told not to accept them
(as it will hurt them) from what ever control system
(probably your liver) is monitoring glucose and insulin.
So, insulin resistance. Too little and your cells will
be told to accept more. Your body "compensates" in
the other direction, just like your car's cruise control.

Too many carbs and your body's control system can not
compensate enough in the other direction. Then you
do damage (T2). Like your car going down a steep hill
with the cruise control on. The control system knows
you are going too fast, but the engine's compression
can't slow you down, so the control system rails
out and can not compensate. Damage can occur to your
engine if you keep gaining too much speed and there
is no external intervention (like you putting on the
brakes, which the cruise control can not do).
Think of Metformin as your brakes: an external intervention

Did I make any sense?

-T

Old 18-07-2013, 08:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Have heard folks say beans have
a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
come.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 18-07-2013, 08:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

bigwheel wrote:

: Todd;1848910 Wrote:

: Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
: a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
: once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
: them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
: offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
: eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
: them mean old carbs right in the head.

rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
us diabetics here.
: --
: bigwheel
Wendy

When I make something that calls for beans, I tend to use 1/2 real beans
and 1/2 black soybeans. They don't get as soft as beans, but they're an
OK substitute and very low carb. I can buy them canned in Whole Foods
and at food co-ops.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 18-07-2013, 10:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Have heard folks say beans have
a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
come.

When corn is in season (like now), I'll occasionally buy *one* ear at
the farmstand. When I cook it, I eat part of an ear, generally somewhere
between 1/3 and 1/2. The rest I cut off the ear and save, so I can put a
spoonful in salad as a garnish. The black bean and corn salad I posted
about earlier in this thread yielded 5 servings for a small ear of corn.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Old 18-07-2013, 10:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
In article
,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

[...]

Corn is not a problem for me but I don't like it so much. Exception being
corn chip and popcorn. If I do eat it, it is usually a small amount in a
salad, casserole or soup. I don't mind a few ears of baby corn or a few
kernels in something. But to just eat corn? Not so much. And especially
on the cob. Hate it like that because it sticks in my teeth. I do like raw
corn though, provided it is very fresh. Angela likes it too. Will eat it
right from the cob. The odd thing is, none of the rest of my family will
eat it raw. Although it tastes wonderful to us, they say that it tastes
raw. Uh, duh. It is! Angela and my mom also like raw potatoes. Me? Not
so much.

Chile verde with nopales ~ Mexican Cooking 1 23-06-2008 04:18 PM
Nopales percy Diabetic 3 27-08-2007 12:26 AM
Copper Pennies Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 03-01-2006 07:40 PM
Nopales - cactus paddles Shelora Mexican Cooking 1 15-04-2004 10:53 AM