bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker View Post
bigwheel wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: ;1848647']In article , Todd
:
lid
: wrote:
: -
: Hi All,
:
: I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
: (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
: out sour and slimy.
:
: I found this remark over on
: 'How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) -
: wikiHow' (
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow)
:
: Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
: "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
: make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
:
: A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
:
: Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
: thing?
:
: Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
: T2's)?
:
: Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
: sounds like what I am after.
:
: From my research, what I am finding is that I should
: boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
: water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
:
: Many thanks,
: -T-
:
: I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the
: beans.
: --
: Remember Rachel Corrie
: 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (Rachel Corrie Memorial Website)
:
: Welcome to the New America.
: 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
: YouTube' (Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy
Well not sure how trying to help a person thicken up a pot of watery beans could be labeled as being guilty of helping diabetics to add extra carbs and starch to their foods. That really takes a leap of the imagination. Do you work for the government by any chance? Thanks.