bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T
Never heard about that but they swear Road Runner soup will cure boils..so who knows? I have seen the guest workers picking the stuff on the side of the road a bunch of times. They claim its snotty like okry. Person could maybe deslime it in a dry skillet as is the custom of cajuns. Now the red apples aint too bad for a sweet treat..but can give a lip full of little thorns if a person aint careful. Thats why the donkeys who eat prickly pears keeps their lips peeled back since they are full of thorns. They call it looking like a Jackass eating cactus. Can also be used to clown around with people who get oversized false teeth. George Washington for example.