Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Nopales and pennies?

bigwheel > wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: > ;1848647']In article , Todd
: > lid
: > wrote:
: > -
: > Hi All,
: >
: > I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
: > (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
: > out sour and slimy.
: >
: > I found this remark over on
: > 'How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) -
: > wikiHow' (
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus)
: >
: > Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
: > "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
: > make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
: >
: > A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
: >
: > Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
: > thing?
: >
: > Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
: > T2's)?
: >
: > Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
: > sounds like what I am after.
: >
: > From my research, what I am finding is that I should
: > boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
: > water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
: >
: > Many thanks,
: > -T-
: >
: > I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the
: > beans.
: > --
: > Remember Rachel Corrie
: > 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)
: >
: > Welcome to the New America.
: > 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
: > YouTube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy